Learn to accept cancellations

fastcopywriter

Sometimes a seller gets frustrated with a buyer, this often happens when a buyer requests a revision. At that point will most likely click “resolution center” and send you a cancellation.

If you’re smart, you will accept it and hire someone else. If you’re dumb, you will decline it and start fighting the seller, threatening him, telling him that you’re “his boss,” threatening him with a bad review if you don’t do a good job. If you do that, the seller can go to customer service and have them cancel the order.

So do us a favor, accept the cancellation, and hire someone else. Losing $5-$20 is bad enough, having to fight with a stubborn buyer is worse.

Reply to @shorey: Get away with what? 99% of my clients love my work, should I suffer the 1% that doesn’t? Should I waste my time with them?

Besides, I did the job. If you hired me to write headlines, brand names, e-mails, radio, LinkedIn Summaries, etc, and I deliver that. How have I not done the job?

Now, if you don’t like my work, fine, I’ll give you a refund. But why should I put up with a nasty customer that tells me, “you’re work sucks” or rejects the cancellation and threatens me with a bad review? Would you put up with a customer like that?

OK, let’s try an experiment, I’m going to come to your house, use the toilet but not flush, then I’m going to eat everything in your fridge, then I’m going to sleep in your bed. How long until you kick me out? Surely you don’t let people walk all over you, neither do I.

Deliver great work. Easily except mutually cancellations if the customer is not happy with the work. Like @fastcopywriter said, Most people will love your work if you are good. My returns have been 1.5%. That right for every $1.00 I make I spend 1.5 pennies giving refunds. A small price to pay to have 0 negative feedback!

People will buy faster and pay more when you have a solid rating.

But I know I still haven’t convinced most of you. That’s what is great about running your own business. You can run it anyway you like. 🙂

Oh, and I don’t take large orders from 1st time buyers. Any job can be broken into smaller pieces. The customers have really understood.

Reply to @landongrace: I totally respect your views, in fact, when I had full-time jobs, that’s the way it was. I would present work, then my senior copywriter or creative director would demand revisions. Sometimes it was very traumatic, some people in the ad business are real a-holes. They will demean you if they find a spelling mistake, or don’t like your headlines, or some other BS like that. It’s even more frustrating when your CD is an art director that has never written anything in his life.

That’s why on Fiverr I don’t put up with it. I do my best with each job, if the revision request isn’t to my liking, I usually cancel that order. It’s just very frustrating, I spend 5 to 15 minutes on the basic, $5 job, I want to get paid, I don’t want to waste even more time. Sometimes I will over deliver to avoid a revision request, but that doesn’t always work.

The clients I do love are the ones that will hire me again, to see what else I can do. Or the ones that offer me a tip if I revise. But clients like that are rare. Most clients don’t even write a review, many will write a positive review, and a few are negative nannies. I try to remove the nannies ASAP.

Im a new guy so perhaps I do not understand the hierarchy of how the buyer/seller relationship @Fiverr works just yet.

In my instance I had a buyer who would not make an order but placed an order via inbox for my services. I was given a script and clear instruction on what to do. I followed them perfectly and have the finished product but the buyer wants the finished product and will not open an order.

In this scenario my buyer is being difficult because they are not yet a buyer, should I just go ahead and give them my work anyways and hope that they will pay afterwards?

Because that seems to be what i should do in order to become non-combative etc.

Reply to @mishthomas: Orders via inbox don’t count, there are scammers who will try to get you to work for free. You got to tell them, “Place an order, and provide instructions within the order, not here.” That’s important because if they don’t provide instructions, the countdown doesn’t start.

As for the hierarchy, both buyer and seller are equal. It’s not a boss/employee relationship, or a master/slave relationship. We’re trading work for money. When the work we do is rejected, we can either revise it or refund it. But we owe the buyers nothing besides that initial delivery, and buyers should consider themselves lucky. When I go to a restaurant and I don’t like the meal, I still pay the bill. Here they can make us work and not give us a dime.

I agree. But my situation is actually reversed. I am the buyer and the other is the seller.

The seller gig was on designing a vintage logo - VINTAGE. I provided the specifics and the colour scheme to be used and he did not respond for 24 hours - then he delivered some half-ass work that I could have done in 5 minutes with print without a graphics degree, and it was non-vintage.

I requested for a modification with the same specifics and he did not respond for over 24 hours. I requested for cancellation and he did not respond for yet another 24 hours.

Guess what, his modification was “done now, thanks.” No attachments, no modification, no nothing. I mean… WTF?

Guest seobookmarkbest

If you go with a custom job.

I guarantee 50% will fail to obey them, because they want the outstanding work.

I’m relatively a new fiverr user…had an order cancelled at the an hour before it was due…with nothing but positive communication (and the line ‘is it okay to make this order?’) PRIOR to ordering, and my submitting the seller requirements, which a simple copy/paste of the message prior to order.

I think there should be recourse for buyers who aren’t fussing with sellers, by reimbursing purchase fees ($.50 PayPal in this case). The fee is small, and goes to fiverr, but as a buyer, seems that fee to land with the person cancelling.

If this is a feature, please point me to where I can learn more.

And yes, why argue? The spirit of the work is what matters most. If there is contention, said work wouldn’t work in the end.

Reply to @naeads: With Logos being a popular category, mainly because there are really good designers with hundreds in queue, the quality of work and sellers can be tainted. That logo is HORRIBLE and I would have reported him to Fiverr CS for fraud…lol!

This is the kind of stuff I hate seeing as it puts a bad name on Fiverr and for other sellers who are doing quality work.

I almost have to laugh, but I’m sure you didn’t think it was funny at all. 🙂

DTong (TRS)

Reply to @seobookmarkbest: You know how some cynics say, “eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.” It’s not true, most people are not eye gougers, most people are good, they have integrity, responsibility, they believe in fairness. It’s fair to pay for something you like, or to reward a good effort, or extra effort.

I agree, if everyone was an eye gouger or a crook, it would be a disaster, but thinking about it realistically, I don’t think that’s going to happen. After all, sometimes people give you tips, and they’re not required to do that. They do it because they like to celebrate your work.

Guest seobookmarkbest

Sometimes, we are forced to cancel the job.
After we worked hours on it.
That’s what makes me disappointed, fiverr not memfalisitasi justice seller.

If the seller does not cancel will be no negative review

I don’t mind doing revisions for people, sometimes it takes a couple times, especially in design work, to get everything the way that they want it and get a clear picture of their vision. However, I do cancel once something has gone on and if the buyer is being really rude to me. I don’t go along with that. If I can not make a buyer happy, I am not going to risk a bad review over five dollars, One bad review can seriously hurt your profile for future orders. I do try and provide good customer service though and get them what they are wanting.

Reply to @mary1979: I was looking at your gigs, I’m surprised your Email Marketing gig doesn’t have more portfolio samples. This is a mistake in my opinion, what I do to create samples is deliver a word file and a pdf, then I tell my buyers that if they’re worried about confidentiality, they can remove the pdf when they write the review.

Of course, I only create a pdf if I’m proud of the work I did. Just a suggestion, I think you’ll get more sales with more samples. I also recommend adding video, if you’re shy like me, hire someone to do a movie trailer or gig video. It’s a good opportunity to explain your service, it’s like an ad. Just make sure you have the word “Available Exclusively on Fiverr” in the beginning or the end. I don’t know if this is still a requirement, but it would stink to have a video removed for missing that.

Archived