AI-generated job inquiries

lenasemenkova

In my work, I strongly rely on understanding the buyer’s vision that is personal and unique to them. It is crucial that it’s written in their own words. 

I don’t care if it’s poorly written. I don’t care if your English is not good. 

I just genuinely, sincerely don’t need to read through the ChatGPT’s interpretation of your vision. And boy, do I get a lot of those ramblings these days.

All of it reads like a college essay that was padded heavily for the word count. Or a cult brochure. A lot is said and nothing is said at all. Most of them start with: ‘Hello. My name is [Your Name]...’ and ends with ‘Best regards,’

I absolutely can ‘create visually appealing marketing materials fully in line with modern design trends’ but it would be helpful if I knew what *you* personally think those are. Because based on some revisions I get certain people’s understanding of ‘visual appeal’ is... rather unique. 

In other words, involving AI in communication between us two humans doesn’t help. It also doesn’t help you to sound smart(er). It’s just giving me a headache. 

Please, refrain from it. I promise that the process will run smoother and the end result will be better. 

• Like 9
  • Up 5

I had a buyer leave a glowing review that was 3 paragraphs long so I read it to my and he said, “that is so AI” and I agreed with him. 

AI is annoying but if I was not a native English speaker and I knew there was a tool to help me sound better (although flowery and cliche) would I try and use it? Not sure, but in this case, it was so kind of the buyer to take the time and prompt ChatGPT and send the message as a review. I am also wondering if that is against the Terms of Service? I will put it up as discussion. 

• Like 5
  • Up 1

13 minutes ago, melissaharlowvo said:

Not sure, but in this case, it was so kind of the buyer to take the time and prompt ChatGPT and send the message as a review. I am also wondering if that is against the Terms of Service?

The only place where I think it mentions AI is in the community standards page: https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/ai-generated-content

and it's mostly about sellers, but its says:

Both sellers and buyers are prohibited from using AI tools to spread misinformation........

It also used to say in the community standards that sellers had to disclose use of AI but they removed that bit.

So if it wasn't against any of the things in there it might be okay, assuming the AI text wasn't flagged by something as plagiarism.

But Fiverr does seem to flag sellers based on the reviews left by buyers (eg. if it thinks it was selling for increasing the ratings) so depending on the generated text by AI maybe that could get a seller in trouble (eg. if the reviews added keep being too similar). Maybe the staff will say.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, melissaharlowvo said:

I had a buyer leave a glowing review that was 3 paragraphs long so I read it to my and he said, “that is so AI” and I agreed with him.

I have also received a few reviews - straight out of AI-oven!! 🫠

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, priyank_mod said:

I have also received a few reviews - straight out of AI-oven!!

I have some purple prose in mine as well. 

Reviews are just a mess, period. Some buyers treat it like a chat. I got a few “talk soon, bye!” this year alone. A few longer ones going “Lena, can I also order a smaller version of this for my Instagram?" and "Can you email these files to me?" A bunch of reviews in foreign languages that I don’t speak.

Sometimes I’m tempted to contact the buyer with: “These reviews are actually public, everyone can see them” but I don’t want to get flagged.

Recently someone slapped me with 4* after mistaking me with another seller (they later reached out unprompted and apologized). I tried to get the review removed (given the acknowledgment and the apology) and CS were dragging their feet so hard that I just dropped the matter. 

I feel like the reviews are free rein for buyers as long as there are no slurs involved. 

• Like 1
  • Up 3

I just got a message from a supposed buyer that started. "Certainly! Here’s a message you can send to freelancers to find someone who can help you write a valuable and profitable book: Hello, I need your help to write a high-value book..." They left the AI response to them in the message to me.

This type of AI use doesn't help anyone. Reviews too? Yikes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Up 3

If I had a dollar for every time some "potential buyer" sent an AI-generated brief for the website project. It is way too generic and includes tons of useless fluff that does not help understanding the project requirements. 99% of the time such buyers are not serious about the project. I now use this as a metric to vet the buyer.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2024 at 6:10 PM, melissaharlowvo said:

I think it’s a good discussion to talk about AI in reviews.

* Although maybe you're right. It is getting out of hand a little bit. 

Or maybe I'm just breezy like that. 

image.png.0d07468d1b4fb8fd97a60b1701d5b2c9.png

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Haha 3