What’s your go-to comfort food?

Kesha

Everyone has that go-to comfort food that hits the spot every time and feels like a big, warm hug! For me, it’s scrambled eggs and waffles- any time of the day!

What’s yours? Whether it’s a bowl of pasta, your famous stew, or something unique to your culture, I’m curious to know. 

Share with us below. Bonus points for photos we can feast our eyes on. 😋

• Like 14

It's a tie between country fried steak or shrimp and grits. No matter where I am, if I see either on the menu I can't help myself. When I see both it's a good time and a big meal. I have a lot of history with both, and have found myself eating one or the other at a lot of important moments in my life so I have all kinds of associations with them. I'm pretty sure I bleed either gravy or grits at this point.

My runner's up meal? Pig's feet. I grew up in the south and was raised next to the same great southern family for 20 years. I was best friends with my neighbor and always at his house. His mother was like a second mother to me, and "Mamma Lou" introduced me to them. I love Lou, and I loved those pig's feet. Another one that's delicious and comes with a lot of great memories. Haven't had them in a while, but even thinking about it makes me want a plate.

Edited by texvox
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Oil Free Fish & Chips. It's outstandingly fast to cook, and it's so much joy to eat. Just fillet your fish (literally any fish works), cut your potatoes and season them with paprika, throw everything in the oven for 20 minutes, and in the meantime make yourself a quick salsa & a sauce. And don't forget the wassabi 🤩 It's around 650 kcal, with 50g protein for a 600g meal (200g fish, 200g potato, 200g salad/salsa). You can get everything ready in less than 30 minutes, eat like a madman, and still be able to eat desert after hahaha. 

Bonus photo of the food, and me with the food before going into the oven (photogenic, I know). 

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-14 at 19.14.05.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-14 at 19.14.04.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, arafatcoco said:

My go to comfort food is rice and fish.

Yummm! My dinner consists of some rice variation along with some type of fish 85% of the time!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, texvox said:

It's a tie between country fried steak or shrimp and grits. No matter where I am, if I see either on the menu I can't help myself. When I see both it's a good time and a big meal. I have a lot of history with both, and have found myself eating one or the other at a lot of important moments in my life so I have all kinds of associations with them. I'm pretty sure I bleed either gravy or grits at this point.

My runner's up meal? Pig's feet. I grew up in the south and was raised next to the same great southern family for 20 years. I was best friends with my neighbor and always at his house. His mother was like a second mother to me, and "Mamma Lou" introduced me to them. I love Lou, and I loved those pig's feet. Another one that's delicious and comes with a lot of great memories. Haven't had them in a while, but even thinking about it makes me want a plate.

Thanks for sharing that! I love learning more about you guys. 💚

Okay, so I must ask since my friends and I can never agree: are you a sugar-in-grits person? (I may or may not judge you if you are. 🤣)

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, hzsmith said:

Oil Free Fish & Chips. It's outstandingly fast to cook, and it's so much joy to eat. Just fillet your fish (literally any fish works), cut your potatoes and season them with paprika, throw everything in the oven for 20 minutes, and in the meantime make yourself a quick salsa & a sauce. And don't forget the wassabi 🤩 It's around 650 kcal, with 50g protein for a 600g meal (200g fish, 200g potato, 200g salad/salsa). You can get everything ready in less than 30 minutes, eat like a madman, and still be able to eat desert after hahaha. 

Bonus photo of the food, and me with the food before going into the oven (photogenic, I know). 

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-14 at 19.14.05.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-14 at 19.14.04.jpeg

gif.gif.5ac71ef5aef557d28ddac95bffe62b2a.gif

Wow! You win. Haha. The recipe, the macros, and the photos takes the cake! I know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow night! 😋

• Like 8

2 hours ago, texvox said:

My runner's up meal? Pig's feet.

Please share the recipe with us, @texvox! It sounds amazing and I'd love to surprise my loved ones with this! ❤️

Edited by hzsmith
  • Like 6
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, Kesha said:

Thanks for sharing that! I love learning more about you guys. 💚

Okay, so I must ask since my friends and I can never agree: are you a sugar-in-grits person? (I may or may not judge you if you are. 🤣)

I've never actually tried it. I like my grits swimming in butter with a ton of pepper and I don't know if I'm ready to experiment and ruin a good thing. I'm also a stone-ground grits person. I guess I'm a grit snob...I blame my childhood in the Carolinas 😆

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, hzsmith said:

Please share the recipe with us, @texvox! It sounds amazing and I'd love to surprise my loved ones with this! ❤️

Mamma never gave me her recipe. In the south there's all kinds of secrets in cooking that nobody wants to share, sometimes even if you're as close as blood 🤣

But if you want to find out the basics of how to cook it up just Google something like "Southern style pig's feet" or "Southern BBQ pig's feet recipe" and you should get something close. 

If you want to make a full meal out of it like I grew up with you also need to look up how to make:

• Southern style honey cornbread
  • Southern style collard greens (or mustard greens)
  • Southern style black-eyed-peas
  • Southern style potato salad

It's important that you look up a southern recipe. If you can get even more specific there's special ways people in the Carolinas prepare all of this. Put all of the above together and you've got a Sunday meal 🤤

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, texvox said:

I've never actually tried it. I like my grits swimming in butter with a ton of pepper and I don't know if I'm ready to experiment and ruin a good thing. I'm also a stone-ground grits person. I guess I'm a grit snob...I blame my childhood in the Carolinas 😆

Growing up one of my faves was something similar to grits (I think the base is wheat so not quite the same) with Nutella. 

I'm more of a savoury porridge girl now though - I love congee (rice porridge) with century eggs and the like. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, texvox said:

Mamma never gave me her recipe. In the south there's all kinds of secrets in cooking that nobody wants to share, sometimes even if you're as close as blood 🤣

But if you want to find out the basics of how to cook it up just Google something like "Southern style pig's feet" or "Southern BBQ pig's feet recipe" and you should get something close. 

If you want to make a full meal out of it like I grew up with you also need to look up how to make:

• Southern style honey cornbread
  • Southern style collard greens (or mustard greens)
  • Southern style black-eyed-peas
  • Southern style potato salad

It's important that you look up a southern recipe. If you can get even more specific there's special ways people in the Carolinas prepare all of this. Put all of the above together and you've got a Sunday meal 🤤

Sounds like a plan! My mouth is already watering just by reading those! Thanks a lot, man!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Damn, I love salmon but I never tried this recipe. Like others, salivating! 

Oh! It's super easy to cook it this way! ❤️ Just give it a try!! 🤤 You don't even have to watch it or turn it or anything. It basically cooks itself. Pro-tip: if you're going to buy frozen/refrigerated files, add some salt and leave the fish on the salt for like 10-15 minutes so the salt can dry out the excess water from it before cooking it. Besides that, just throw it in the oven easy peasy!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, wiktoriahyde said:

Polish pierogies with fried onion. Easy pick! 

We have something similar here in Romania as well! They're called "Colțunași” and we serve them with fried onions on top as well. They're so delicious! If you like the pierogies, I highly recommend trying fried Gyozas since they're on the same page, but with an Asian twist. 

• Like 6

On 6/15/2024 at 12:22 PM, hzsmith said:

We have something similar here in Romania as well! They're called "Colțunași” and we serve them with fried onions on top as well. They're so delicious! If you like the pierogies, I highly recommend trying fried Gyozas since they're on the same page, but with an Asian twist. 

I love Gyozas, but I've never tried Colțunași! I'm curious about the differences between them and Polish pierogies. I'll be looking for Romanian restaurants in my area!

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 2:19 PM, texvox said:

Good answer lol! Sugar in grits concerns me 😅 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 2:29 PM, katakatica said:

Growing up one of my faves was something similar to grits (I think the base is wheat so not quite the same) with Nutella. 

I'm more of a savoury porridge girl now though - I love congee (rice porridge) with century eggs and the like. 

OMG! That's a good one! Haven't had porridge in a long time. Had to look up congee and it looks delish!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 3:51 PM, asif255 said:

Chocolate!! I just love it specially when I'm on the way. 

Yes! There's nothing a bite of chocolate can't fix. 🤣

On 6/14/2024 at 3:56 PM, dimezstudio said:

Jollof rice, Plantain, Salad, Salad cream + chicken or beef

JOLLOF! Yes! My brother-in-law is Nigerian and introduced me to this type of rice and I have been obsessed ever since. 

• Like 2