Most buyers ask for a discount, but not this one.

filipdevaere

I have similar return buyers that ask me to charge more, or they tip me. There are good people, but obviously there will always be those that try to ask for a discount. I particularly "like" the people that ask for a discount before even stating what they want. To ensure they low ball you and lock you at a low price 😄

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I particularly "like" the people that ask for a discount before even stating what they want. To ensure they low ball you and lock you at a low price 😄

At least they make what they want clear from the start, so I can immediately tell them I'm not a good match for their needs and wish them good luck with their project.

Nice one, @filipdevaere!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

That's a great buyer for sure! Never happened to me, but extra tips after delivery are always nice.

Asking for discounts or quoting an extremely low budget right... grrr. They see my prices on my gig. Why would they think I'd write 40,000 for $30? Had that one just the other day.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, catwriter said:

At least they make what they want clear from the start, so I can immediately tell them I'm not a good match for their needs and wish them good luck with their project.

Nice one, @filipdevaere!

14 minutes ago, melanielm said:

Why would they think I'd write 40,000 for $30? Had that one just the other day.

There is a tremendous peace of mind that comes from not taking the bait and just politely saying, "I understand, there are lots of sellers within your budget here, good luck."  It is almost certain that the people who want discounts will also nag you for free revisions, etc...

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, newsmike said:

There is a tremendous peace of mind that comes from not taking the bait and just politely saying, "I understand, there are lots of sellers within your budget here, good luck."  It is almost certain that the people who want discounts will also nag you for free revisions, etc...

It's worse than that. The private feedback has a field for "value for money". If you are working with someone that accepts your price but isn't happy with it, you're running a huge risk. I want my clients to be enthusiastic about the value for money, otherwise it's just harming my business. It shouldn't be this way, to be honest - negotiation has a place in business, and sometimes a client can feel like the value for money was just "ok", and that should be "ok", but the way the private feedback is implemented is extremely punishing, so you can't take risks. Client accepts the price but you feel they think it's too high? Better to refuse to work with them anyway - otherwise you're running the risk of lower BSR, and that will impact your future sales. This is particularly relevant if you're on the higher end in terms of pricing. Some people charge $10 per hour for the same thing others charge $20 or $100, and the final result can be very subjective in terms of the ever elusive "quality" - it's just that different people value their time differently. That's ok. 

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 16

• imagination7413 changed the title to Most buyers ask for a discount, but not this one.