Scam or not?

irisijtsma

Question

Hi there! 
i’ve been asked twice now to join a call/chat where i need to show my face, but i don’t need to talk. Typing to answer some questions is enough. The persons who asked me doesnt own a website and are very vage in the explanation and purpose of this call/chat. Does anyone has had this as well? And is this scam? 

Not feeling to well about this offer…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 answers to this question

Hi @irisijtsma, if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. I usually tell my clients that video chats aren't necessary for me to do my work and I have over 300 successful orders without having to do a single video chat. If I can't communicate with them in chat, chances are, we won't have good communication on video either.

However, I'm starting to get more inquiries from buyers to verify that I'm legit because there are sellers who are now using AI to produce written content who made false promises about being fluent in English. So buyers want to make sure that I am a native English speaker and that I will be writing my orders manually, without the use of chatGPT. I will now consider doing video chat just to show buyers that I'm the real deal. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

19 hours ago, irisijtsma said:

Does anyone has had this as well? And is this scam? 

Hi. 

In my case and services I offer, there are some details that is very hard to explain in writting, and this is the reason why they ask for a call. I only show my face for self introduction, after that I asked to switch off my camera. I only accept call if it is necessary. 

So, in my opinion, it is not a scam.

As @vickieitosaid, they want to test your english and want to know if you use AI for answering. 

Edited by michmikaia
  • Like 2
  • Up 1

There are a lot of scammers pretending to be white blondes and hoping it will bring them more orders. Perhaps they just want to confirm that the person on your profile picture and gig video is really you.

19 hours ago, irisijtsma said:

The persons who asked me doesnt own a website and are very vage in the explanation and purpose of this call/chat

Not owning a website doesn't have to be a problem. Being vague when explaining why you have to show your face to them is definitely something to be concerned about. 

• Like 2
  • Up 2