How much should an editor cost on Fiverr?

kcomic

Hi, I'm still in the process of writing a novel, but I'd like to know how much an editor is supposed to cost on Fiverr. So far, the quotes I've gotten feel a bit expensive. I feel like it would cost around $1000 to get a 20 chapter novel edited, and I'm not sure that's the way it's supposed to be, or it may just be that I'm a cheapskate and like to do most of the work myself when I can. 

• Like 11

Hi @kcomic, editors will usually need more information to provide you with an accurate quote. What is your genre? Word count? And what type of editing is required? 

All of these will affect your price. Some genres are harder to edit, higher word count will command higher prices, and developmental and structural editing will be much higher than line or copy editing.

• Like 7
  • Up 2

That's understandable. The particular novel is a cozy mystery, and yeah, I would want more than line editing, more like structure and story development. I think it would actually be cheaper/the same price to pay someone to write the book for me, though. That's...a little odd. It's kind of incentive not to do my own work. I could just hire a writer who also does structural editing and ask them to write it. 

I understandably don't want to do that, though, because it won't really be my work, and if I get to where I can make a series and can't hire the same writer, I might not be able to finish the series. 

Edited by kcomic
  • Like 7

There are editors at all price points on Fiverr. Have you tried submitting a Buyer's Brief with your requirements and price point?

Also, you might want to enlist the help of alpha readers and beta readers. They can give you good feedback so that the book can still be your own masterpiece.

If you find a good alpha reader that you work well with who also does developmental editing that might be a good, cost effective option as well.

• Like 8
  • Up 2

It depends on the editor's experience, whether they're a native English speaker or not, what kind of editing you want (developmental editing costs more, for example), the length of your book and the genre...

At this link (I'm not affiliated with them in any way) you will find some figures if you're looking for a professional editor. It's just a benchmark, but it might give you an idea of what an actual professional would cost. You can certainly find cheaper editors on Fiverr, but it will take some trial and error to find one who is a good match for you.

https://thewritelife.com/how-much-to-pay-for-a-book-editor/

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Yes, these rates are higher than the rates I've found on this website (Fiverr). I appreciate that, for sure. 

I guess I'm just not used to getting serious about my work, but writing something without getting a story development edit wouldn't make a lot of sense if I wanted the book to actually sell, so I guess it's worth the investment. I wish I were a better storyteller, though, then maybe I wouldn't feel like I needed editing for story development. 

Edited by kcomic
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, kcomic said:

I would want more than line editing, more like structure and story development

8 hours ago, kcomic said:

I wish I were a better storyteller, though, then maybe I wouldn't feel like I needed editing for story development. 

I do that generally via cheaper "worldbuilding" sellers to help with "grand scale" "framework" components, and then getting extra "final detailing" from proper pricey creative writing sellers once I can limit the scope easily and describe the lead-in and outcome accurately. (Give really good direction.)

Ex, take whatever the mystery equivalent of a Monomyth Framework is and provide it and other setting details to a Worldbuilder to get a basic set of coherent seed details/ideas. Then try and flesh each out as much as you can. When you start to get writer's block on a component, pass that one to a creative writer and move onto the next section. Then, at the end, have a beta reader give it a look over.

What catwriter said about trying a few sellers for each task is really important. You can try a few different sellers at a low price point and should have a good chance to find someone who is not only viable but goes a bit above and beyond (maybe they're pricing low to get reviews to kiickstart their fiverr career), which should save costs in the long run. Ex, some beta readers basically operate like a true line editor at a lower cost. But you would need to try a few out to find one like that.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 11:19 PM, vickieito said:

Also, you might want to enlist the help of alpha readers and beta readers. They can give you good feedback so that the book can still be your own masterpiece.

Seconding this. Beta readers can be found on a sliding scale of simple first-impression feedback to full-on critique-partner.

Though, there is also a third door in a co-writer. Someone who writes alongside you. Good ones are far, far trickier to find. A good critique-partner at least leaves you with full veto power.

• Like 6