Normally I wouldn’t …

damooch916

frank_d
This post was recognized by frank_d!

"Way to go Tommy!"

damooch916 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

And now we break from our scheduled showing of “Making the Same Movie with Kevin Smith,” to bring you something completely different. 

I’m not one to bring my real life into this forum. Firstly, that forces me to address the nature of abstractions and define terms like “real,” when - in truth - I couldn’t care less about being a premeditated simulation, so long as there’s coffee. Secondly, it’s not normally my place to offer heartfelt advice, or issue dire warnings from the watch tower or to long for the therapeutic relief of “common consensus.” There’s great folks here offering those fine services at nearly all hours. And when those folks need someone to enter a room, sledgehammer in hand, with the intent to insert maximum damage (while wearing ray-bans and whistling a Benny Goodman tune), suddenly I appear. 

But today, that is not so. Today I’m bringing you a slice of my real life. For no other reason than my being a proud father.

My daughter Ava turned 18 yesterday. There’s plenty to be said about where that leaves me existentially (I say, as I sip an espresso as per usual) but in her case - she’s an amazing force of intelligence and kindness. She’s the kind of kid you tell yourself that you’ll have one day. And suddenly she’s not a kid at all. 

For the past few weeks, I’ve been writing and recording a song for Ava to perform. The idea is that she can incorporate it into her music reel (she’s a trained musical theater performer) and I can send it to specific clients whose needs fall into the category of this type of material. I keep a small list of rotating songs on various YouTube channels for different clients and they typically aren’t for public consumption.

But I’m so proud of her. And I love our new song. So I thought, “why not…” and so I’m going to share it with you. It’s a very typically “me” song. The kind of song I pitch to country artists and movie firms. That will probably be the case with this song as well. And while it has nothing to do with this time in my life specifically, it’s a strange marker that exists now. From here forward, we’re in for a strange journey. You might as well come along. 

• Like 20
  • Up 1

Standardly sardonical, or not, I like it.

21 hours ago, damooch916 said:

she’s an amazing force of intelligence and kindness. She’s the kind of kid you tell yourself that you’ll have one day. 

And aren't they all. Just kidding. But always good to know of another one's existence that couldn't just be but is.

21 hours ago, damooch916 said:

And suddenly she’s not a kid at all. 

You're all lucky that I'm not a musician. My song might be about shoes in a hallway. Marking the day I realized that our little boy's shoes, lining up with ours there, were bigger than mine, and that he wouldn't be or even already wasn't a kid anymore, even way before turning 18, driving license and other adult-now stuff. I'm sure we're better off with your and Ava's song 😅

Cheers to Ava, good kids, good songs, and good coffee.

• Like 11

On 9/23/2022 at 7:47 AM, damooch916 said:

She’s the kind of kid you tell yourself that you’ll have one day. And suddenly she’s not a kid at all. 

This happened with my two oldest granddaughters, ages 19 and 20.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:47 AM, damooch916 said:

(she’s a trained musical theater performer)

I love her voice and what you two have created together. What is her plan for the future?

• Like 7