Client not giving feedback on unfinished work

durified

Howdy people of Fiverr!

I am currently in the process of producing my first ever order, and I have some questions for all of you that are more experienced than me 🙂

First off, the story: in my gig, I produce an audio logo for a brand. My client contacted me and talked about their brand and also linked me an audio logo that they really liked and wanted me to do something similar (96hr total delivery time on this gig).

24hrs later I deliver 3 sound-sketches, that resemble the inspiration-sound that the client showed me. I was very clear in my message that this is a sketch, and I now need feedback on what is good and what could be changed, and I even posted 4 example questions for the client to answer, so that they could get an understanding of how to give effective feedback.
36hrs later I have to extend the deadline, becuase there is no answer. Then, on that same night I receive an answer from the client. Very politetely they thanked me and said that there is potential, but they said nothing else (nothing at all about the 3 sketches I worked hard to produce). Instead, they linked two new inspiration-sounds and asked if I could do something like this instead. Since this is my first gig I really want to make a great job and please the client, I sat down and created a new sound sketch from scratch, this time I made two sketches and sent them.
It has now been 36hrs since I’ve sent the new sketches, and it is only 24hrs left until the extended deadline is due (total of 144 hr will then have passed!). I haven’t gotten any feedback yet and in my mind there needs to be at least two-three back and fourths in order to make a sound that feels right with the specific brand.

What would you do in my position? The client is really positive and nice, and their brand is serious so I know it’s not a scam.

Do I just mark as delivered if they do not respond until the deadline?

How to avoid this in the future?

Have you been in a similar situation, and if so how did you solve it?

Much love.
A

An opinion from people who do logo services or creative artwork would be very helpful for you.

Disclaimer: I don’t do that but I will happily share my thoughts generally as a seller.

This sounds like a lot of work but considering this is your first order and perhaps whatever quote was placed I assume you found it fair covering all the work you so far did.

Anyhow, considering that this involves a lot of sketches and back and forth perhaps the delivery time should have been lengthened long enough in the first place (although we also wouldn’t have known the client takes ages to reply so I understand)

I am not sure what was initially discussed, what was initially discussed? What is the scope of the order? Ex: For $5 I will do your colorized logo, 3 sketches, 3 revisions, etc. That way you would know when you’ve delivered what was covered. I understand this was more of a I will do finalize logo after approved sketch kind of gig especially this is your first client. Maybe down the line you can consider structuring the scope of your gig for x amount.

Lastly, if I were in your position and I presumably delivered what I said would deliver for the amount paid by the buyer and lets say I have only 12 hours left to deliver. I would use the “deliver” button already. Should the buyer request a revision, it will not count against your “on time” delivery rate anymore. The delivery rate only counts for the first delivery and not the revisions.

How to avoid in the future:

• Structure offering. X amount = X sketches, X revisions, X source file.
  • Be generous with delivery time relative to scope of gig offering
  • Use delivery button or consider using “Milestones” to avoid back and forth with buyer making the timer run out
    *Milestones is like chapters or levels. Let’s say the total job is $150 but per level you get paid a certain part of the $150 every time you complete one part of the order. → https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010560178-Working-with-Milestones

Welcome to the Fiver forums.

There’s a lot to unpack in this, so I’ll start with this:

So many newbies are being taken advantage of here on Fiverr by a small minority of predatory “buyers”. This is my take on how to protect yourself, thereby reducing the chances of a cancellation or negative review.
Special shout out to @melissaharlowvo for the buyer requirements section. Enjoy!

and

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

Those plugs made, the next step is deciding if this is mentally worth it. I understand this is your first Buyer, but no one should have to deal with poor communication/feedback.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask the buyer directly how much time they think they need to give you a proper response and that, if they cannot decide by tomorrow, that you cannot keep working on it and will have to cancel the order, due to time constraints and other obligations. I also might add that they have used up their one free revision with the change in scope, if they aren’t happy with any of your other samples, that any further changes will cost an additional X amount.

An opinion from people who do logo services or creative artwork would be very helpful for you.

Disclaimer: I don’t do that but I will happily share my thoughts generally as a seller.

This sounds like a lot of work but considering this is your first order and perhaps whatever quote was placed I assume you found it fair covering all the work you so far did.

Anyhow, considering that this involves a lot of sketches and back and forth perhaps the delivery time should have been lengthened long enough in the first place (although we also wouldn’t have known the client takes ages to reply so I understand)

I am not sure what was initially discussed, what was initially discussed? What is the scope of the order? Ex: For $5 I will do your colorized logo, 3 sketches, 3 revisions, etc. That way you would know when you’ve delivered what was covered. I understand this was more of a I will do finalize logo after approved sketch kind of gig especially this is your first client. Maybe down the line you can consider structuring the scope of your gig for x amount.

Lastly, if I were in your position and I presumably delivered what I said would deliver for the amount paid by the buyer and lets say I have only 12 hours left to deliver. I would use the “deliver” button already. Should the buyer request a revision, it will not count against your “on time” delivery rate anymore. The delivery rate only counts for the first delivery and not the revisions.

How to avoid in the future:

• Structure offering. X amount = X sketches, X revisions, X source file.
  • Be generous with delivery time relative to scope of gig offering
  • Use delivery button or consider using “Milestones” to avoid back and forth with buyer making the timer run out

*Milestones is like chapters or levels. Let’s say the total job is $150 but per level you get paid a certain part of the $150 every time you complete one part of the order. → https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010560178-Working-with-Milestones

Thank you so much for your thorough and thought-through answer @theratypist. 🙂

Perhaps I was not making the scope clear enough in the description of the gig. Apart from my Gig-specifications (which do not really mention the back and fourth I now realize is needed), the client sent me an inspirational sound to work towards in terms of both feeling and quality.

I think there’s a lot to learn from this process. Thank you for your suggestion, I think I should add how many sketches are included in the initial price!

Lastly, there is now 7 hours left until deadline, and I will deliver the product and see what the client feels about it.

They answered me this morning, saying that they liked the first sketch in the new set. So I guess that means they like it enough for it to be a final product.

Thank you again. 🙂

A

Welcome to the Fiver forums.

There’s a lot to unpack in this, so I’ll start with this:

So many newbies are being taken advantage of here on Fiverr by a small minority of predatory “buyers”. This is my take on how to protect yourself, thereby reducing the chances of a cancellation or negative review.
Special shout out to @melissaharlowvo for the buyer requirements section. Enjoy!

and

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

Those plugs made, the next step is deciding if this is mentally worth it. I understand this is your first Buyer, but no one should have to deal with poor communication/feedback.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask the buyer directly how much time they think they need to give you a proper response and that, if they cannot decide by tomorrow, that you cannot keep working on it and will have to cancel the order, due to time constraints and other obligations. I also might add that they have used up their one free revision with the change in scope, if they aren’t happy with any of your other samples, that any further changes will cost an additional X amount.

Thank you very much for taking the time to compile this information @imagination7413. It was very reassuring to read the article and watch the video. 🙂

I will take this feedback and the answer above in order to completely rephrase my gig, using this experience as the base for the change. I now feel that I could be a lot clearer in what I offer, and also what I expect from the customer if they choose to order from me.

Lastly, thank you for lifting the topic of cancelling orders. I think that might have served me well in this case. Although it was so much fun producing my first order!

Thank you again. 🙂

A

Archived