My first purchase - is this normal?

scottdj1

Hi guys - so i posted my first request (to build a very small database for a proof of concept) - had multiple offers, and i contacted each of those who expressed an interest in doing the job just to be sure they understood what i was asking, ensure they had a chance to ask any questions, etc. Upon selecting one, the very first message i get from him is asking me to double my price, and there were multiple more messages from him to that effect. My response was that the budget and work scope was clearly stated, we discussed it, and he accepted it. Ok, fine, he says, he’ll do it - and then submits a text document with a bunch of placeholder text in it which prompts me to either accept the work or ask for a revision. I select revision - as a text document is not a database. We’re now two weeks past the deadline, and when i ask him for updates - i get a response that he’s working on it and will let me know when it’s ready.

This doesn’t feel right to me. Do i continue to let it go past the deadline without an established ETA, or is there a way for me to report it to Fiverr and get a refund? Again, as this is my first time through this, i’m not quite sure what either ‘normal’ or protocol is.

Thank you!

Hi guys - so i posted my first request (to build a very small database for a proof of concept) - had multiple offers, and i contacted each of those who expressed an interest in doing the job just to be sure they understood what i was asking, ensure they had a chance to ask any questions, etc. Upon selecting one, the very first message i get from him is asking me to double my price, and there were multiple more messages from him to that effect. My response was that the budget and work scope was clearly stated, we discussed it, and he accepted it. Ok, fine, he says, he’ll do it - and then submits a text document with a bunch of placeholder text in it which prompts me to either accept the work or ask for a revision. I select revision - as a text document is not a database. We’re now two weeks past the deadline, and when i ask him for updates - i get a response that he’s working on it and will let me know when it’s ready.

This doesn’t feel right to me. Do i continue to let it go past the deadline without an established ETA, or is there a way for me to report it to Fiverr and get a refund? Again, as this is my first time through this, i’m not quite sure what either ‘normal’ or protocol is.

Thank you!

Nope, this is not supposed to happen. He’s trying to keep the ball rolling veeery slowly in order to prevent you from cancelling it.

I’ll be quick: just cancel.

This doesn’t feel right to me. Do i continue to let it go past the deadline without an established ETA, or is there a way for me to report it to Fiverr and get a refund?

Confront him gently – or, well, just go straight to the Manage Orders page to cancel the order since he’ll probably say what he’s already said again. If you want to do it fast, open a CS ticket by the ZenDesk: it’s been two weeks now so you can instantly cancel the order, plus Support will be on your side regardless*.

You will get your balance refunded (except the commission fee) in your Fiverr wallet – they are always frozen before completion. You can bring the job and funds to a better seller.

*He delivered incomplete work (the “placeholder text” is a trick we’ve already seen on here) which is already against the ToS, as is keeping your delivery in limbo for that long against decency.

As a software and database developer myself, the lack of communication from your seller is not a good sign. It’s up to the developer to let you know if they are going to be late as early as possible (not when they are about to miss the deadline) and work with you to establish a new delivery date. That way you, as the customer, have the opportunity to plan around the changed schedule. Being two weeks late with no clear expectations on delivery times is unacceptable.

While most of my work in this space is face-to-face, it’s even more important when working in the online space, simply due to the lack of visibility of progress and not being able to just pick up the telephone and speak with them.

I would definitely be contacting the developer and asking them to give a firm deadline on when it will be done, and what will be delivered. Or as the others have said, at this point, you’re better off just cancelling.

Thank you!

Upon selecting one, the very first message i get from him is asking me to double my price,

That right there was the blaring warning siren to bail out immediately from the order. To basically have to debate with the seller to accept the already agreed upon price point is entirely unacceptable.

I’m in agreement with the general gist of the replies here.

Bail.

Or at least CANCEL the order and get your money back.

Sadly, the anxious Seller you chose is very likely not quite as skilled as they may have let on.

That being said, there are plenty of legitimate Sellers here.

You just have to put some effort into finding the right one for the job.

While the Buyer Request feature is a part of Fiverr, I am very cynical about it.

The good sellers will already be working on orders, having built a reputation through feedback and repeat orders to have enough work coming in.

Based on many threads in the forum, the sellers who respond to BRs are often desperate for work and will extend the truth about how qualified they are to take on your job. Of course there are some genuine sellers who respond, but in my opinion the BR section is a murky pond best avoided.

It is far better to search Fiverr for the discipline you need and then to filter sellers by their feedback and price. This way you retain far more control and avoid the deluge of under qualified bad sellers.

Archived