Overjoyed! And some advice

oliviaunwin

Hello, lovely fiver-ers!

I just wanted to jump on here and thank so many of you for the lovely advice that has helped me starting out. I’m so unbelievably happy that I made the decision to move my work onto fiverr: I’m getting a lot more work, and most of my clients seem lovely. I wanted to offer some advice to the many (many!) new sellers I see looking for advice:

1. Focus on quality

I’m sure you want to go from zero to getting hundreds of orders very quickly, but it’s not going to go like that. Start off with competitive pricing and a quality service and gig set up, and you will eventually get an order or two (I think this took about a week or so for me). Then, go above and beyond to provide a quality service, and you WILL get good reviews and you’ll be able to start growing. Don’t focus on quantity yet: it’ll come if you provide a good service.

1. Be here for the work

It may sound obvious, but you really shouldn’t join fiverr for the money alone. The reason I think I’m managing to be sucesssful is that I truly love the work I’m doing, and I’m doing what I’m good at. The money comes second: I was happy to provide my services at cheap prices starting out because I enjoy it, and I’ve had to put my prices up since because I couldn’t keep up with demand.
If you join for the money, people will be able to tell, your work won’t be as good, and it’s also that kind of thinking that leads to spamming social media instead of carefully figuring out who your target demographic is. Fiverr isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme, and if you treat it like one it certainly won’t be. I am now earning more than I was in my previous job, but that has come second to the fact that I really enjoy what I’m doing here. Most of the orders I’m getting now are repeat business or word-of-mouth referrals, because I took the time to be friendly and deliver fast, quality work.

1. Enjoy it!

While there are some difficult things about working on this platform, and sometimes there are difficult buyers, I can’t help but think back to even a decade ago and think how hard it would have been to run a ‘business’ like this with such low overheads and organisational skills required. Enjoy it, and good luck everyone!

Best wishes, and let me know what you’ve enjoyed if you’re relatively new to Fiverr too.

Olivia

Guest humanissocial

Hello, lovely fiver-ers!

I just wanted to jump on here and thank so many of you for the lovely advice that has helped me starting out. I’m so unbelievably happy that I made the decision to move my work onto fiverr: I’m getting a lot more work, and most of my clients seem lovely. I wanted to offer some advice to the many (many!) new sellers I see looking for advice:

1. Focus on quality

I’m sure you want to go from zero to getting hundreds of orders very quickly, but it’s not going to go like that. Start off with competitive pricing and a quality service and gig set up, and you will eventually get an order or two (I think this took about a week or so for me). Then, go above and beyond to provide a quality service, and you WILL get good reviews and you’ll be able to start growing. Don’t focus on quantity yet: it’ll come if you provide a good service.

1. Be here for the work

It may sound obvious, but you really shouldn’t join fiverr for the money alone. The reason I think I’m managing to be sucesssful is that I truly love the work I’m doing, and I’m doing what I’m good at. The money comes second: I was happy to provide my services at cheap prices starting out because I enjoy it, and I’ve had to put my prices up since because I couldn’t keep up with demand.

If you join for the money, people will be able to tell, your work won’t be as good, and it’s also that kind of thinking that leads to spamming social media instead of carefully figuring out who your target demographic is. Fiverr isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme, and if you treat it like one it certainly won’t be. I am now earning more than I was in my previous job, but that has come second to the fact that I really enjoy what I’m doing here. Most of the orders I’m getting now are repeat business or word-of-mouth referrals, because I took the time to be friendly and deliver fast, quality work.

1. Enjoy it!

While there are some difficult things about working on this platform, and sometimes there are difficult buyers, I can’t help but think back to even a decade ago and think how hard it would have been to run a ‘business’ like this with such low overheads and organisational skills required. Enjoy it, and good luck everyone!

Best wishes, and let me know what you’ve enjoyed if you’re relatively new to Fiverr too.

Olivia

Start off with competitive pricing and a quality service and gig set up, and you will eventually get an order or two

Thank you so much for saying this.

A huge mistake freelancers make is they start by undercharging thinking it will make it easier to shift a focus to higher prices and better clients but that doesn’t happen. You just get caught up in a cycle of bad orders.

Thank you for this topic! Enjoying your job is not something easy. Probably for many workers. Not for us, I presume. Since freelancers are more than motivated and really enjoying their job. Your are your career and your career is yourself and your talent. We love freelancing. My two cents, but I’m sure it’s the same for all of you as well 😊

Archived