Sincerest form of flattery

frank_d

I just did my monthly spot check in one of my main gig categories, and I spotted about 6-7 copycats, a new seller who is showing my gigs thumbnails on his promo video (thank you kind stranger) and dozens of people who just copied my descriptions and tags outright.

That’s all business as usual, except for someone who actually paid me a compliment by swiping my latest thumbnail’s design:

2081534577_designswipe.thumb.jpg.d3a89c5627039481d761bc08a742dcaa.jpg
design swipe4586×1200 528 KB

(my design is the one on the right)

That’s it, that’s the post.

I’m not even mad, as I think this is what creatives should strive for.

Making a design that works so well, that people will try and replicate it.

I would even mention the seller on this post, if it wasn’t going to be misunderstood as me calling them out. 🙂

I do my regular check every now and then, and I often times see new sellers stealing my image and using it as theirs.

Not even tweaking, straight-out stealing.

I report them right away of course. I ain’t flattered at all :crazy_face:

Well sure, that’s different. That’s stealing, not emulating.

I flagged a seller two months ago because he was using my gig’s thumbnail as their own, but it’s still there. Fiverr didn’t remove it.

Well I prefer your design on the right 🙂

Is your spot check process simply to do a search for your title/category in an incognito mode and browsing through the gigs listed?

thank you @digifawz for the vote. 🙂

Yes I don’t waste a lot of time to be honest. I just choose my sub-category and browse the top 3 pages.

Not bad, apart from that at first glance, I thought someone wants to sell me a new make-up product and I’ll have issues deciding on the foundation shade. That prominent bubble colour doesn’t give me tech vibes somehow.

Jokes apart (although things to make us smile or laugh are a big plus these days), I agree that looking for inspiration is no crime, and definitely beats low-effort copying.

Copy-cats, take note. You have more in you than just copying others. Give it a try, you might surprise yourselves.

Not bad, apart from that at first glance, I thought someone wants to sell me a new make-up product and I’ll have issues deciding on the foundation shade. That prominent bubble colour doesn’t give me tech vibes somehow.

Jokes apart (although things to make us smile or laugh are a big plus these days), I agree that looking for inspiration is no crime, and definitely beats low-effort copying.

Copy-cats, take note. You have more in you than just copying others. Give it a try, you might surprise yourselves.

Every junior artist goes through this.

Their eyes can spot a great design, but their skillset doesn’t yet allow them to pinpoint what are the exact factors that made it successful.

So this is a part early on in the process. Making something as close to the original design, and failing to grasp what went wrong.

Making something that sucks, is a necessary part of an artist’s growth.

So yes, if anyone takes anything from this it should be that attempt to make something on your own. That way you will learn and grow.

Archived