Can i ask buyer about their life, profession and daily routine?

invisible1518

Can i ask buyer about something like their profession and life???

Keep in mind that it could be understood as very unprofessional. Avoid it!

Can I ask buyers about their life, profession, and daily routine?

I would avoid asking or providing answers to these questions:

What is your mother’s maiden name?

What is the name of your first pet?

What was your first car?

What elementary school did you attend?

What is the name of the town where you were born?

When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Who was your childhood hero?

Where was your best family vacation as a kid?

But that is just my opinion.

What was your first car?

😂

It is not like that you mentioned things. I wanna just to know that what he does and does his business or company have any public profile. What is his age so that I can talk more comfortable

What was your first car?

I agree, but a lot of responses here are clearly from people who potentially have had limited experiences within business / business relationships. From my experience dealing with everything from small companies right through to tier 1, fortune 500 companies, it has been that we are all just human at the end of the day. If you are a CEO or a marketing intern the number one element is to treat people with respect.

Stating that talking personal is unprofessional is just not true and it feels like a “how to be a good business person blog response”.

As i mentioned we are all humans and at the end of the day if you are providing excellent customer support and quality services, there can be room to be personal, if applicable, I see no harm and often do this. But please remember…

Context is EVERYTHING.

People buy from people and as long as you are respectful, not asking suspicious or overly personal questions then it is fine to ask questions about personal things as long as it is within context.

I have spoken about personal details with many customers both on Fiverr and in person around the world but only when there has been professional capacity to do so. This could be something as small as, “I see you are from California, I visited San Diego last year and I love it, how do you like the city?”

As long as the customer is receptive and you will know this from dealing with them. I would never push the limits unless i know the relationship and this was established for sometime.

Again, context is everything but do not be afraid to be yourself, not everyone on the platform sells a 5$ logo, some have relationships for many months and in doing so relationships are formed.

Just my two cents 🙂

What was your first car?

What was your first car?

Typical authentification questions. Both, asking or providing answers to such questions could be punished.

Yeah, anyone can ask anything but should consider consequences.

I agree, but a lot of responses here are clearly from people who potentially have had limited experiences within business / business relationships. From my experience dealing with everything from small companies right through to tier 1, fortune 500 companies, it has been that we are all just human at the end of the day. If you are a CEO or a marketing intern the number one element is to treat people with respect.

Stating that talking personal is unprofessional is just not true and it feels like a “how to be a good business person blog response”.

As i mentioned we are all humans and at the end of the day if you are providing excellent customer support and quality services, there can be room to be personal, if applicable, I see no harm and often do this. But please remember…

Context is EVERYTHING.

People buy from people and as long as you are respectful, not asking suspicious or overly personal questions then it is fine to ask questions about personal things as long as it is within context.

I have spoken about personal details with many customers both on Fiverr and in person around the world but only when there has been professional capacity to do so. This could be something as small as, “I see you are from California, I visited San Diego last year and I love it, how do you like the city?”

As long as the customer is receptive and you will know this from dealing with them. I would never push the limits unless i know the relationship and this was established for sometime.

Again, context is everything but do not be afraid to be yourself, not everyone on the platform sells a 5$ logo, some have relationships for many months and in doing so relationships are formed.

Just my two cents 🙂

Thanks a lot for sharing all the details and experience with us. I agree with you and personal info is not only for asking about his family or his wealth status.

Guest humanissocial

😂

It is not like that you mentioned things. I wanna just to know that what he does and does his business or company have any public profile. What is his age so that I can talk more comfortable

What is his age so that I can talk more comfortable

In what universe is it okay to ask ANYONE how old they are, let alone a client?!

And no, you don’t need to know someone’s age to “be more comfortable.”

This also has nothing to do with a working relationship. You’re just being nosey.

Your poor judgment is deeply concerning.

Come on guys, give the guy a break. Not everyone here has exceptional customer support skills so I think these are fair questions.

To answer you in short, no, do not ask any personal questions as this can be seen very creepy. Your clients come here to get a job done and your main focus should be that.

You will see that by being professional and friendly with your clients, they will sometimes start being more friendly with you and start sharing stuff about them by themselves. That should be your sign that it’s “okay” to be a little more casual with them but be super careful what you say as at the end of the day, they are your clients and you offer a service. You are not friends!

Hope this helps.

Guest humanissocial

Come on guys, give the guy a break. Not everyone here has exceptional customer support skills so I think these are fair questions.

To answer you in short, no, do not ask any personal questions as this can be seen very creepy. Your clients come here to get a job done and your main focus should be that.

You will see that by being professional and friendly with your clients, they will sometimes start being more friendly with you and start sharing stuff about them by themselves. That should be your sign that it’s “okay” to be a little more casual with them but be super careful what you say as at the end of the day, they are your clients and you offer a service. You are not friends!

Hope this helps.

ak. Not everyone here has exceptional customer support skills so I think it’s a fair question.

Asking people how old they are is not a fair question in any context and it’s not a matter of customer service skills, but of basic respect.

We shouldn’t have to teach people basic respect.

ak. Not everyone here has exceptional customer support skills so I think it’s a fair question.

Asking people how old they are is not a fair question in any context and it’s not a matter of customer service skills, but of basic respect.

We shouldn’t have to teach people basic respect.

Asking your clients age is beyond unprofessional, no doubt! I was referring to all the questions as clearly this individual has the wrong perception of how to do business here (or anywhere really lol)

A lot of people here saying its unprofessional are as much wrong as the OP saying if he can ask his customer about his/her age.

Context matters.

If you ask about his/her age out of the blue, it is weird and unprofessional but if it has a context, a conversation is going on and it somehow turns towards a point where asking about age is not completely inappropriate, you can. But this is just a very specific example. No one can teach you how to be a good conversationalist. You have to learn that on your own by talking to people.

I have clients I know a lot about their personal life because I have curated a relationship over time where they share their personal life details with me (“I couldn’t reply earlier because my son Jason was sick”, the next day I will ask out of courtesy “how is Jason feeling now”)

Context matters.

Hello, a couple of ideas from my experience. Not so often, I must say, but there are customers asking “where are you from” or similar questions. First you must be polite, but the good answer is the answer that “changes argument”, pointing back to the job. Because this way you explain the chat must be for the job and nothing else.

Archived