Are You a Brit Thinking of Freelancing in the EU? - A Brexit Refugee Thread (Non-Political)

cyaxrex

This year for us Brits who live in Europe, Brexit gets real. I’m dead against Brexit. However, it’s happening and I have to deal with it. As for what there is to deal with, it’s simple. From now until the end of December, British people can still legally settle in Europe. However, there are some caveats to this.

• You need to be fully registered as living in your chosen EU county by the 31st of December 2020.
  • Where you register is where you stay. This means that if I am still in Malta by the time December 31st comes around, I can’t suddenly decide to live in France.
  • There is a total end to free movement. After Brexit, Brits can spend 90 days in the EU but no longer in any one year.

I think that it is especially important to clarify the last point among freelancers. In real life, I know lots of Brits and a few British freelancers who think that they will still be able to hop around Europe freely as much as they like after 2020. In reality, they will just have 90-days to do so and will likely need the EU equivalent of a U.S. ESTA form before traveling.

As for why ending freedom of movement is a big for me and other Brits, it’s simple. Imagine living in the U.S. and being able to live anywhere from Washington to Hawaii. Now imagine being told that you can only live in one out of all the states or live in Slab City for the rest of your life.

Now, of course, I know there are fellow Brits here who might argue that with the right visa or permit, it will still be possible to freelance anywhere. However, prior to living in Europe I lived in New Zealand and Thailand, and getting work permits isn’t always easy. For almost 3-years now, I’ve, therefore, been trying to figure out where the best place is to settle in the EU is for British freelancers ahead of Brexit.

When looking at locations, I take into all the things I look for when scouting a place to live. These are:

• Tax and social security
  • Cost of living.
  • Ease of taxation and registering as a freelancer.
  • Quality of life.
  • Climate

Currently, my top places to relocate to as a British freelancer before Brexit subsequently come down to:

• Portugal
  • Cyprus
  • Malta
  • Estonia
  • Bulgaria

At present, Portugal is top of my list, as they have a dedicated welcoming marketing campaign for Bits called Brelcome.

They are also one of the few countries that has published guidelines for Brits moving before Brexit. These state that Brits might even have until June 2021 to get their residency papers in order. There is also a tax program tailored to freelancers called the ‘Simplified Tax Regime,’ and Portugal has the lowest cost of living in Western Europe.

Cyprus is my second choice as they too say that they may allow Brits to register until June 2021. Also, while not having a dedicated freelancer tax, Cyprus does offer a regime where freelancers only pay 20% social security (and no tax) until they earn over 20K Euros per year.

Malta, I’d personally avoid as a freelancer. However, if you set yourself up right, taxes are low.

I’d avoid the place only because the cost of living is skyrocketing and as someone who has lived here several years as a freelancer, the place is just too small. No forests, no rivers, no outdoor space, the place is really just a big building site. But, if you care only about low tax and not anything about living, Malta could be good for you.

Estonia I know nothing about aside from the fact that they are actively encouraging freelances to base their operations there. Even after Brexit, it will be possible for Brits to open an EU company in Estonia by getting an Esonioan e-residency card. Estonia also offers 1-year freelance visas and work permits. This means that freelancers can spend 1-year living in Estonia and still get 3-months to hop around Europe.

Bulgaria is possibly the best place to base yourself as a Brit in advance of Brexit. Taxes are capped at 10% and the cost of living is super low. Bulgaria is also becoming a top destination for freelancers thanks to new freelance communities springing up in places like the ski and mountain resort of Bansko.

Bulgaria itself was also on my list of preferred destinations. However, I have heard that Bulgaria now makes getting residency almost impossible for Brits even though the Brexit bell hasn’t donged yet. This is why my top relocation destinations are Portugal and Cyprus where registration is being made altogether easy.

Have I missed somewhere? If so, let me and others know!

As for whether (if you are British and freelance) you should leave the UK before Brexit, I’d say this is something to seriously consider. I moved from Scotland to Malta because I knew I wanted to be a freelancer but also knew that I couldn’t afford to make that switch instantaneously.

I moved here because there was a lower cost of living. It was so low that in my first 2-years of freelancing, I managed to get by mainly by working tables in a Chinese restaurant. (And that was before I discovered Fiverr.)

It upsets me that some people in the future might not have the opportunity to really get their freelance career off the ground because of Brexit. This is my reason for this very brief guide and I hope it helps some people.

This year for us Brits who live in Europe, Brexit gets real. I’m dead against Brexit. However, it’s happening and I have to deal with it. As for what there is to deal with, it’s simple. From now until the end of December, British people can still legally settle in Europe. However, there are some caveats to this.

• You need to be fully registered as living in your chosen EU county by the 31st of December 2020.
  • Where you register is where you stay. This means that if I am still in Malta by the time December 31st comes around, I can’t suddenly decide to live in France.
  • There is a total end to free movement. After Brexit, Brits can spend 90 days in the EU but no longer in any one year.

I think that it is especially important to clarify the last point among freelancers. In real life, I know lots of Brits and a few British freelancers who think that they will still be able to hop around Europe freely as much as they like after 2020. In reality, they will just have 90-days to do so and will likely need the EU equivalent of a U.S. ESTA form before traveling.

As for why ending freedom of movement is a big for me and other Brits, it’s simple. Imagine living in the U.S. and being able to live anywhere from Washington to Hawaii. Now imagine being told that you can only live in one out of all the states or live in Slab City for the rest of your life.

Now, of course, I know there are fellow Brits here who might argue that with the right visa or permit, it will still be possible to freelance anywhere. However, prior to living in Europe I lived in New Zealand and Thailand, and getting work permits isn’t always easy. For almost 3-years now, I’ve, therefore, been trying to figure out where the best place is to settle in the EU is for British freelancers ahead of Brexit.

When looking at locations, I take into all the things I look for when scouting a place to live. These are:

• Tax and social security
  • Cost of living.
  • Ease of taxation and registering as a freelancer.
  • Quality of life.
  • Climate

Currently, my top places to relocate to as a British freelancer before Brexit subsequently come down to:

• Portugal
  • Cyprus
  • Malta
  • Estonia
  • Bulgaria

At present, Portugal is top of my list, as they have a dedicated welcoming marketing campaign for Bits called Brelcome.

They are also one of the few countries that has published guidelines for Brits moving before Brexit. These state that Brits might even have until June 2021 to get their residency papers in order. There is also a tax program tailored to freelancers called the ‘Simplified Tax Regime,’ and Portugal has the lowest cost of living in Western Europe.

Cyprus is my second choice as they too say that they may allow Brits to register until June 2021. Also, while not having a dedicated freelancer tax, Cyprus does offer a regime where freelancers only pay 20% social security (and no tax) until they earn over 20K Euros per year.

Malta, I’d personally avoid as a freelancer. However, if you set yourself up right, taxes are low.

I’d avoid the place only because the cost of living is skyrocketing and as someone who has lived here several years as a freelancer, the place is just too small. No forests, no rivers, no outdoor space, the place is really just a big building site. But, if you care only about low tax and not anything about living, Malta could be good for you.

Estonia I know nothing about aside from the fact that they are actively encouraging freelances to base their operations there. Even after Brexit, it will be possible for Brits to open an EU company in Estonia by getting an Esonioan e-residency card. Estonia also offers 1-year freelance visas and work permits. This means that freelancers can spend 1-year living in Estonia and still get 3-months to hop around Europe.

Bulgaria is possibly the best place to base yourself as a Brit in advance of Brexit. Taxes are capped at 10% and the cost of living is super low. Bulgaria is also becoming a top destination for freelancers thanks to new freelance communities springing up in places like the ski and mountain resort of Bansko.

Bulgaria itself was also on my list of preferred destinations. However, I have heard that Bulgaria now makes getting residency almost impossible for Brits even though the Brexit bell hasn’t donged yet. This is why my top relocation destinations are Portugal and Cyprus where registration is being made altogether easy.

Have I missed somewhere? If so, let me and others know!

As for whether (if you are British and freelance) you should leave the UK before Brexit, I’d say this is something to seriously consider. I moved from Scotland to Malta because I knew I wanted to be a freelancer but also knew that I couldn’t afford to make that switch instantaneously.

I moved here because there was a lower cost of living. It was so low that in my first 2-years of freelancing, I managed to get by mainly by working tables in a Chinese restaurant. (And that was before I discovered Fiverr.)

It upsets me that some people in the future might not have the opportunity to really get their freelance career off the ground because of Brexit. This is my reason for this very brief guide and I hope it helps some people.

In reality, they will just have 90-days to do so and will likely need the EU equivalent of a U.S. ESTA form before traveling.

So it’s like Shengen Visa right now.

As for why ending freedom of movement is a big for me and other Brits

Did they already make it official or still discussing it?

That was one of the reasons why we left London. We simply didn’t know what status we will have as Europeans there and how it will affect us. Not even taking into account that we were paying 40% tax +NI :woman_facepalming: I kind of stopped checking all news about brexit after I left.

In reality, they will just have 90-days to do so and will likely need the EU equivalent of a U.S. ESTA form before traveling.

So it’s like Shengen Visa right now.

As for why ending freedom of movement is a big for me and other Brits

That was one of the reasons why we left London. We simply didn’t know what status we will have as Europeans there and how it will affect us. Not even taking into account that we were paying 40% tax +NI :woman_facepalming: I kind of stopped checking all news about brexit after I left.

Guaranteeing an end to freedom of movement was pretty much the election pledge of the current UK PM and the last one. Things might work out differently but I’m not betting on it. It is also more likely now that the UK leaves the EU with no deal thanks to the current PM making it law that Brexit negotiations can not be extended past December 31st 2020.

It is a grey area in terms of there being no official mandate, However, the way things are looking, freedom of movement will end.

It is also still a grey area when it comes to how UK citizens will be treated in the interim period of 2020. It comes down to how individual EU countries want to interpret freedom of movement and residence as it is still happening. This is why the top of my list are countries currently publishing clear guidelines.

As for you leaving the UK, I have a Spanish friend who stayed with my last employer after I left. She got maried last year to a Brit but they are now making plans to leave just because of the continuing uncertainty in the UK.

In this case, you are not alone when it comes to being confused or uncertain. What I actually notice is that a lot of EU countries are going out their way to make Brits clear of their rights. i.e. I can now get a 10-year residency card in Malta. (I might even take it). However, the same doesn’t seem to be being reciprocated.

90 days only?! Even a Canadian can live in the USA for 6 months of each year! Then they can move back to Canada for 6. They’re called “Snowbirds”.

I’m against Brexit too, though I don’t completely understand it.

Yes, 90-days seems to be the max. However, I can still visit Canada for 6-months and other countries. It’s all a big messy UK affair.

Brexit sounds like something Putin would want. He’s getting a lot of his wishes granted lately. I see it like a chess game with the pieces moving into the proper positions for him.

Brexit sounds like something Putin would want

😕

every county has their own. interests.

But it looks like everything is Putin’s fault nowadays including Brxit and Trmp elections.

It’s easier to blame uneducated choice on someone else.

But I’m not going to discuss it any further because this topic was created for a different reason.

@cyaxrex Portugal looks like a great choice in general.

I would’ve also consider Malta but I agree that if you want to be more flexible especially if you wouldn’t have freedom of movement anymore, Malta is too small to explore it. However if I’m right if you get residency there (as you mentioned) I think you’ll be free to travel in Europe (but not to work)

So many will say that you’re scaremongering, @misscrystal, but actually I think that you’re spot on. The scary thing is, is that it’s all unfolding right in front of our eyes and people are (metaphorically) lining the streets to cheer it in.

The scary thing is, is that it’s all unfolding right in front of our eyes and people are (metaphorically) lining the streets to cheer it in.

It’s not the first time in history, going back around seventy five years, where hoards of people cheered on evil.

Archived