Long term job request

birgithececilie

Hi!

I just got a message from a potential buyer who wants a long-term arrangement that could span for over 6-8 months with x number of deliveries per week. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this on fiverr? How did you do it with the orders, specifically? Should it be one big-ass order, or one per week? Or is there a feature for a long-term thing already existing?

Looking for any experience and/or tips regarding this.

I’ve suggested to the buyer that we do a test-week first before agreeing on anything long-term at least. Both for my sake and the buyer so I don’t agree to a ton of work for not enough pay and they get a feel of how I work and if they want to continue.

Thank you!

The best,
Birgithe

I tell them straight away that I don’t accept bulk orders from new clients and I’d like to do a test one first, full price.

If it goes well, they can proceed with placing separate orders when they need to. There are no guarantees they’ll stick up to the agreement longterm, that nothing changes in their plans, etc. So it’s safer to take it step by step.

“I’ll give you tons of work for many months” is a bit of a red flag by itself so it’s better you tread with caution and organize things in a way that allows you to get out of the partnership easily (which won’t be possible with one huge order).

I tell them straight away that I don’t accept bulk orders from new clients and I’d like to do a test one first, full price.

If it goes well, they can proceed with placing separate orders when they need to. There are no guarantees they’ll stick up to the agreement longterm, that nothing changes in their plans, etc. So it’s safer to take it step by step.

“I’ll give you tons of work for many months” is a bit of a red flag by itself so it’s better you tread with caution and organize things in a way that allows you to get out of the partnership easily (which won’t be possible with one huge order).

“I’ll give you tons of work for many months” is a bit of a red flag by itself so it’s better you tread with caution and organize things in a way that allows you to get out of the partnership easily (which wouldn’t be possible with one huge order).

So, true; I usually :running_woman: of more work to come so they can get cheap work now.

You can set milestones for an order! Say, you’ll get 10 dollars or so for each delivery.

I tried milestones once. I was not too fond of it. The seller does not get paid until the last milestone is delivered. Plus there is a $100 minimum order even to offer milestones. I would much rather do smaller jobs and get paid right away. 😉

I’d say run a mile for all the reasons listed by @lenasemenkova.

Invite your potential buyer to place a single test order. Advise them that if they are happy, you could then send them a custom offer once per week for whatever they need that week.

Scammers try to lure sellers in with promises of long-term work. All this usually means is that they don’t want to pay.

“I’ll give you tons of work for many months” is a bit of a red flag by itself so it’s better you tread with caution and organize things in a way that allows you to get out of the partnership easily (which wouldn’t be possible with one huge order).

So, true; I usually :running_woman: of more work to come so they can get cheap work now.

You can set milestones for an order! Say, you’ll get 10 dollars or so for each delivery.

I tried milestones once. I was not too fond of it. The seller does not get paid until the last milestone is delivered. Plus there is a $100 minimum order even to offer milestones. I would much rather do smaller jobs and get paid right away. 😉

some time it is better to do long term job if buyer is continuously ordering to you…

Like said above, I would definitely do one test order first before committing to anything long-term. I have a few clients who I allow to place bulk orders - 30 articles written a month ordered at the beginning - but this was agreed upon after many, many orders were placed. I do not offer a discount, or use milestones. They are already saving money on fees from Fiverr by placing the order in bulk this way. The only downside to this is now since most of my Fiverr business comes from two clients who place bulk orders is that when I have a cancellation from a newer buyer for whatever reason I don’t have much of a cushion of other orders to balance out the cancellation percentage.

I tend to run from anyone who promises a long-term contract right off the bat, as they want me to lower my rates in order to accommodate them. Saying things like, “You will get many future orders if you give me a discount.” I just wish them the best of luck in finding someone who is willing to work for what they are offering and move on with my day.

some time it is better to do long term job if buyer is continuously ordering to you…

I have many regular buyers. Not one of them has ever made promises of future orders or asked for cheaper prices because of the quantity of orders they intended to place.

As I said, I would rather break the job into parts myself and get paid as I finish each part. To me that is better than long term milestones.

All of what Lena said, plus keep in mind that down the line, you might want to raise your prices and perhaps don’t want to be stuck with a long-term agreement that takes up a lot of your time at a price you might want to work for now but not necessarily in a few weeks or months.

Thank you for your insights 🙂

We have now agreed on a test order first for full price. I was not planning on going any lower on price since I think my prices are quite low as they are and I’m planning on raising them eventually.

It might be a red flag, but the vibe I get from this customer is not feeling sketchy or anything so I’m going with my gut on this.

If this goes well, I think I’ll go with the solution of placing or making custom orders on a regular basis rather than one giant order that may or may not fall through.

Thank you all so much for all the answers in here! I’m still fairly new at this whole fiverr/freelance thing so it’s nice to have someone to ask about these things 🙂

I have many regular buyers. Not one of them has ever made promises of future orders or asked for cheaper prices because of the quantity of orders they intended to place.

As I said, I would rather break the job into parts myself and get paid as I finish each part. To me that is better than long term milestones.

You are saying right because most of buyer tries to done their job from new seller with low price.

Archived