The Buyer keep requesting for modification?! what should I do?

adrian_music

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I talked to CS and they said they can’t force the customer to accept the order 😑 it’s kind of rip off. so the buyer can always reject to pay!

Well I talked to CS and they said they can’t force the customer to accept the order 😑 it’s kind of rip off. so the buyer can always reject to pay!

Yup! That’s a typical canned response. So, it’s up to you to decide if you want to make the necessary revisions or refund. If you cxl definitely use the block feature to stop this Buyer from purchasing gigs from you in the near future. 🍍

At the end of the day, the decision is yours but as @maitasun is saying you essentially need to pick your battle.

I would reach out to Customer Support and apprise them of the situation to get their initial thoughts (even though most of us know what this may, you never know).

I would then weigh my options:

1. At this stage, you are not able to absorb a negative review and leave you in the positive; this means then it will have damaging effects to your account, how so? With only 5 reviews so far, a negative review will mean 5/6 which is 83% positive (you need 97%+). As a result you won’t be able to send buyer requests, you may not be eligible for a promotion and you’d need to get your positive rating up which means you need to get at least 34 more positive reviews (correct me if I’m wrong) with none less than 5 stars. This may be very possible given the quality of work. The negative review will stay on your account and given you just started, new buyers may be taken back by it. With the blind-review system, you’d have to eloquently educationally guess. However, you get to keep the $300 you’ve worked so hard for, hoping the buyer doesn’t do a charge-back at which point you’re stuck with a negative review, loss of funds and a cancellation, that’s a 50/50 chance of happening.

2. Or, you could cancel, be at 83% cancellation which means you’d be in the same boat of not being eligible for promotion unless you get 4 more orders without cancellations. This is much more possible as these can be 3-5 stars and won’t impact you very much. You can send buyer requests and there won’t be any negativity on your account at this early stage for you. The downside is you’ve just lost the money you’ve work so hard for, but you can always find a way to resell the work you’ve done either on a stock site or something, salvage it. I don’t agree with this option on principle because you’ve worked so hard for it, but it all boils down to what you are willing to give up and how hard you intend to work to salvage this situation.

3. You may be able to reason with the buyer somehow and who knows may end up delivering what he likes and walk away unscathed. This is also an option, I would try my best with this first but because there was a lot of back and forth with the modification requests, the buyer may already have a bad taste in his/her mouth.

4. Customer Support may step in and lend a hand somehow.

These are the four possible , reasonable options I see you having to choose from.

Hope that helps.

At the end of the day, the decision is yours but as @maitasun is saying you essentially need to pick your battle.

I would reach out to Customer Support and apprise them of the situation to get their initial thoughts (even though most of us know what this may, you never know).

I would then weigh my options:

1. At this stage, you are not able to absorb a negative review and leave you in the positive; this means then it will have damaging effects to your account, how so? With only 5 reviews so far, a negative review will mean 5/6 which is 83% positive (you need 97%+). As a result you won’t be able to send buyer requests, you may not be eligible for a promotion and you’d need to get your positive rating up which means you need to get at least 34 more positive reviews (correct me if I’m wrong) with none less than 5 stars. This may be very possible given the quality of work. The negative review will stay on your account and given you just started, new buyers may be taken back by it. With the blind-review system, you’d have to eloquently educationally guess. However, you get to keep the $300 you’ve worked so hard for, hoping the buyer doesn’t do a charge-back at which point you’re stuck with a negative review, loss of funds and a cancellation, that’s a 50/50 chance of happening.

2. Or, you could cancel, be at 83% cancellation which means you’d be in the same boat of not being eligible for promotion unless you get 4 more orders without cancellations. This is much more possible as these can be 3-5 stars and won’t impact you very much. You can send buyer requests and there won’t be any negativity on your account at this early stage for you. The downside is you’ve just lost the money you’ve work so hard for, but you can always find a way to resell the work you’ve done either on a stock site or something, salvage it. I don’t agree with this option on principle because you’ve worked so hard for it, but it all boils down to what you are willing to give up and how hard you intend to work to salvage this situation.

3. You may be able to reason with the buyer somehow and who knows may end up delivering what he likes and walk away unscathed. This is also an option, I would try my best with this first but because there was a lot of back and forth with the modification requests, the buyer may already have a bad taste in his/her mouth.

4. Customer Support may step in and lend a hand somehow.

These are the four possible , reasonable options I see you having to choose from.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the answers. I have a question now.

if he decide to cancel and I accept his request does that still have a negative effect in my profile or ranking?

if he decide to cancel and I accept his request does that still have a negative effect in my profile or ranking?

Yes, every single cancellation no matter the reason affects sellers, unless CS deems otherwise.

Edit: By profile, I mean your cancellation ratio will drop to 83%.

if he decide to cancel and I accept his request does that still have a negative effect in my profile

Yes, every single cancellation no matter the reason affects sellers, unless CS deems otherwise.

You’re right @dfenty, although cancellation won’t affect his profile.

that’s totally unfair to sellers. we spend our time that much and won’t get paid and instead get a negative effect? super

No system is perfect, unfortunately, Fiverr hasn’t found the most ideal solution. This is a Peter pay for Paul scenario, sellers were abusing the mutual cancellation button and so Fiverr implemented a system where it is working as it is. It makes it more difficult for less-established sellers at this point. We can only hope that the brains at Fiverr come up with something better or be a little more lenient.

that’s totally unfair to sellers. we spend our time that much and won’t get paid and instead get a negative effect? super

With cancellation, you won’t be affected as much as with a bad review, you really need to understand this. :frowning_face:

Might I add, these scenarios are what help sellers to implement their own policies, for example. With such large orders, I personally would break it up.

Offer a ten second sample (paid for but smaller in cost of course) of the work at a low bit-rate, if the buyer likes where it is going, then he can opt to pay for a full version. If the buyer doesn’t then at least he didn’t fund a larger project and may be more than happy to walk away still giving you 5 stars for the effort.

Might I add, these scenarios are what help sellers to implement their own policies, for example. With such large orders, I personally would break it up.

Offer a ten second sample (paid for but smaller in cost of course) of the work at a low bit-rate, if the buyer likes where it is going, then he can opt to pay for a full version. If the buyer doesn’t then at least he didn’t fund a larger project and may be more than happy to walk away still giving you 5 stars for the effort.

yes in my case the buyer was away till the delivery day…unfortunately

With cancellation, you won’t be affected as much as with a bad review, you really need to understand this. :frowning_face:

I have to cringe every time someone says this on the forum. IMO it will be a matter of time until Fiverr will allow overall reviews even on cancelled orders if sellers are still trying to trick the system.

I have to cringe every time someone says this on the forum. IMO it will be a matter of time until Fiverr will allow overall reviews even on cancelled orders if sellers are still trying to trick the system.

It’s not tricking the system, annai, it’s about surviving. 😟

Fiverr is giving sellers no options to defend themselves from these type of cheating buyers. If Fiverr didn’t allow this buyers’ behaviour, sellers wouldn’t need to ponder what would be less harmful for them. :frowning_face:

Sellers are being kept helplessly cornered and Fiverr makes nothing to avoid such situations. :roll_eyes: :frowning_face:

Edit to add: If Fiverr made NO CANCELATION as a policy then I would agree with you in that every seller should assume whatever review/rating they get. But, up to now, sellers are ought to choose whether to die from a stab or from a bullet.

It’s not tricking the system, annai, it’s about surviving. 😟

Fiverr is giving sellers no options to defend themselves from these type of cheating buyers. If Fiverr didn’t allow this buyers’ behaviour, sellers wouldn’t need to ponder what would be less harmful for them. :frowning_face:

Sellers are being kept helplessly cornered and Fiverr makes nothing to avoid such situations. :roll_eyes: :frowning_face:

Edit to add: If Fiverr made NO CANCELATION as a policy then I would agree with you in that every seller should assume whatever review/rating they get. But, up to now, sellers are ought to choose whether to die from a stab or from a bullet.

Sorry to the OP for going OT.

Don’t get me wrong and please don’t take it personally but why support this kind a behavior and give in to a cancellation?

Sorry to the OP for going OT.

Don’t get me wrong and please don’t take it personally but why support this kind a behavior and give in to a cancellation?

Don’t worry, I don’t take things personally. I think we’re all here having a very pleasant and constructive conversation.

I’m not supporting cancellation per se, I’m just giving a light in what would be less harmful for the OP regarding this buyer.

As I said before, if the OP doesn’t cancel and achieves the buyer to accept the delivery, he’ll not only get a bad review that would take him into a terrible situation but there’s also a very big chance he’ll be risking the bad review and also a chargeback. Double harm for the seller.

@dfenty described very well what the OP would be facing in a bad reviw situation and in a cancel situation.

This siystem Fiverr has to punish sellers has to be modified at some point, this can’t go on forever as it is unsustainable for buyers have been fed for long time now and know how the system works.

In the good old days Fiverr cared more about sellers, and in situations like this they would allow you to close the order, and if the buyer leaves a negative feedback they would study the situation and remove the feedback.

That was back when Fiverr was more humane.

Unfortunately, along with many other things, nowadays sellers are not protected and are victims of many scams, unfair negative reviews, getting demoted for things which are not their fault, etc.

It is a real shame and discouraging, I’ve had similar situations, customer support doesn’t help you with this anymore.

A shame, a real shame, Fiverr used to be a much better place and fair towards everyone.

yes in my case the buyer was away till the delivery day…unfortunately

When you cancel, be sure to let him know that he can’t use your work at all. Then post it to your blog and youtube. If he uses your work, it’s plagiarism. You may have to remove his branding and contact info and replace with yours though.

Archived