Need to know the Gender of my Clients

sagorsur

I think it should be remembered that the likely reason for the OP’s question was in order to respond in a polite, businesslike manner. This is likely what he (or they) were taught somewhere along the line, is commonplace in their country, and I respect the effort being made to be professional.
However, in a global business environment, the same methods are not used - it’s a small but well-meaning error and not something to criticise IMO.

You do understand “they” is inherently plural?

I don’t think so but to be sure I asked a professor. They told me that it was quite correct to use “they” when referring to someone of unknown gender. Them being a professor, I trust what they say when it comes to speaking English good.

Alright all, thanks for your research and corrections on proper standard pronoun usage. While I continue to hold my opinion, it was very enlightening to learn that it is not, in fact, incorrect and merely non-standard.

Now, please tell me that this was on purpose lest the need for another grammar debate arises. (This one I’m a lot more sure about.)

speaking English good.

Just address your client by his or her Fiverr name.

If it’s JoeGinger434, then it’s “Hi Joe.”

If it’s xoxo55, then “Hi xo”

Or just “hi.”

Most gigs don’t require you to know the gender of your client. I saw your gigs, “I Will Create Custom Neon Line Beam Animation” doesn’t require you to know the gender of your clients.

Alright all, thanks for your research and corrections on proper standard pronoun usage. While I continue to hold my opinion, it was very enlightening to learn that it is not, in fact, incorrect and merely non-standard.

Now, please tell me that this was on purpose lest the need for another grammar debate arises. (This one I’m a lot more sure about.)

speaking English good.

Would it shock you if I told you that there wasn’t actually a professor?

I made him/her/them up.

Would someone go to that trouble if they were not sure of their own ability to speak proper?

I think that knowing clients’ gender could be very useful. Even additional information, such as age and race could be useful, especially for correctly targetting your audience. If, say, I am a photoshop retouch artist, and I have predominantly a male following, then it may not be as effective to use females for the portfolios on my gigs or offer some services, such as make up retouch.
(I am assuming that most buyers purchase gigs for personal uses)
As for how you adress them, just use their username 😛

Guest offlinehelpers

I think that knowing clients’ gender could be very useful. Even additional information, such as age and race could be useful, especially for correctly targetting your audience. If, say, I am a photoshop retouch artist, and I have predominantly a male following, then it may not be as effective to use females for the portfolios on my gigs or offer some services, such as make up retouch.

I think that knowing clients’ gender could be very useful. Even additional information, such as age and race could be useful, especially for correctly targetting your audience.

That would mean we’d all have to give up that sort of information to Fiverr - would you be happy with that? It’s supposed to be an anonymous platform - that’s part of its charm! 🙂

I don’t know, you’ll be suggesting passports and facial recognition next - sorry no, they’ve been mentioned already. 😉

I would say that a) you shouldn’t need to know the gender of your seller, b)that some sellers use pictures of attractive males/females to entice buyers so you can’t be sure that the buyer is the sex that they claim to be any way.

I think that knowing clients’ gender could be very useful. Even additional information, such as age and race could be useful, especially for correctly targetting your audience.

That would mean we’d all have to give up that sort of information to Fiverr - would you be happy with that? It’s supposed to be an anonymous platform - that’s part of its charm! 🙂

I don’t know, you’ll be suggesting passports and facial recognition next - sorry no, they’ve been mentioned already. 😉

You forgot a birth certificate. People will start suggesting we should all submit our birth certificates. :roll_eyes:

Meh, forget it! *******************

🤐

You forgot a birth certificate. People will start suggesting we should all submit our birth certificates. :roll_eyes:

Meh, forget it! *******************

🤐

well, then Fiverr will change become a dating site :hugs:

Lol that is definitely too much, and I get what you are saying, but most businesses in real life do target an audience based on such criteria. It depends on the person I suppose, and if they feel comfortable sharing their gender identity, but in most platforms there is always the “other” or “I’d rather not answer” button. I am not against Fiverr as it currently is though. I am just saying that knowing such criteria “can be very useful”.

Even additional information, such as age and race could be useful, especially for correctly targetting your audience.

That information is useful when you’re doing a Facebook Ad. However, it’s not useful when you’re selling gigs on Fiverr. If you want to attract females, have portfolio samples that appeal to women, men, etc. Age is irrelevant, someone that needs a photoshop retouch artist might be 21 or 60-years-old.

Even additional information, such as age and race could be useful, especially for correctly targetting your audience.

That information is useful when you’re doing a Facebook Ad. However, it’s not useful when you’re selling gigs on Fiverr. If you want to attract females, have portfolio samples that appeal to women, men, etc. Age is irrelevant, someone that needs a photoshop retouch artist might be 21 or 60-years-old.

I’d probably disagree on the age matter, as often the style of retouching differs among my IRL clients. The younger audiences are more interested in a picture-perfect “Instagram” look, with oftentimes intrusive facial reconstruction, while older audiences generally want skin smoothing and color correction. I suppose you are right though, you can edit your portfolio accordingly to the group you are interested in primarily targeting. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

I’d probably disagree on the age matter, as often the style of retouching differs among my IRL clients. The younger audiences are more interested in a picture-perfect “Instagram” look, with oftentimes intrusive facial reconstruction, while older audiences generally want skin smoothing and color correction. I suppose you are right though, you can edit your portfolio accordingly to the group you are interested in primarily targeting. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Well, I admit photo retouching is not my area of expertise. Here’s an idea, why not have two photo retouching gigs, one for millennials, one for 50+. I don’t know if that counts as a clone gig, which Fiverr opposes. If it does, just have different pictures in your portfolio, and make sure to turn on your live portfolio for people who want to see more pictures.

It is not at all important to know the gender and you don’t need to know it. If the buyer doesn’t want it revealed, it’s none of anyone’s business. If the service the buyer is purchasing requires the seller to know the gender, you could put that question in your requirements. Under any other circumstances, skip it.

Thanks! for your valuable reply! 🙂

Archived