By Request: Portraits by jonbaas

jonbaas

Wow! Nice sketches @jonbaas. Second one is especially good. It’s angelic!!

*From someone who draws a Donkey for a Horse… and insists, “No! That’s just a short fat horse.” :man_facepalming:

Wow! Nice sketches @jonbaas. Second one is especially good. It’s angelic!!

Thank you. Yes, the client for that second drawing was indeed blessed with good looks. 😉

Simply Amazing Work! ❤️

What can’t you do, Jon? :rofl:

So, damn talented, you’re making my head spin. 😉

My absolute Faves are the Klingons and Girl in the Shadows. Brilliant!

I secretly wish you had a gig, I’d buy in a heartbeat! (hint-hint)

Thank you for sharing! :ok_hand:t4:

Wow, these are fantastic Jon! So, where’s your portrait drawing gig? :thinking:

Well, see that’s the dilemma. Back when I joined Fiverr almost four years ago, I thought a great deal about how I might turn my portrait skills into a viable gig. The problem with that, at the time, though, was that we could only sell services for $5. And, even when we were given the opportunity to add extras for additional value, there just wasn’t a way for me to offer my portrait drawing skills that would be anywhere near the value that would have to go into each portrait.

In other words, there was no way that I could sell my portrait services here on Fiverr and make a profit doing so. There is no way in Hades that I was going to draw one of those multi-hour drawings for only $5. No way whatsoever.

Now that we have a whole lot more freedom in the pricing we choose for our services, I would have to charge at least $200 (probably closer to $300) for each portrait, and even that would be on the lower end. There’s a lot of work, resources, and time that goes into each realistic portrait. I just don’t know if there’s a market – here on Fiverr – for buyers who are willing to pay that much for one of my portraits. And even then, due to the time and resources, would I be able to keep up with demand if I had more than two orders at one time?

I’m torn. I am considering the value of a portrait gig like that, I just don’t know whether the market is there (to warrant the effort), and whether I’d have the time to focus on ONLY drawing portraits like that for clients. That isn’t a quick service.

Oh my goodness! What smashing work!

Any reason why you don’t sell illustration?

Oh my goodness! What smashing work!

Any reason why you don’t sell illustration?

Thank you! I think the reasons probably come down to time, and an already over-saturated drawing market here on Fiverr. That, and there’s no way I can sell portrait work on that level within the demanded low-cost pricing expected by buyers here on Fiverr. In other words, I fear my level of skill, and years of experience drawing portraits completely prices me out of the market here on Fiverr.

Simply Amazing Work! ❤️

So, damn talented, you’re making my head spin. 😉

My absolute Faves are the Klingons and Girl in the Shadows. Brilliant!

Thank you for sharing! :ok_hand:t4:

Well, let’s see… I can’t swim. 😉

I also can’t walk on the moon. 😛

I’m sure there are few other skills that I can’t claim to have as well.

My absolute Faves are the Kingons and Girl in the Shadows. Brilliant!

Thank you. I greatly enjoyed creating those! And I don’t really have the words to express how excited and thrilled the people those Klingon portraits were drawn for when they saw the finished work! 😉

I’m seeing this sentiment a lot within the last 24 hours. 🙂 Maybe there’s more interest here on Fiverr than I initially thought. Interest and market aren’t always the same thing though. Nonetheless, perhaps I should reconsider my previous concerns about the viability of a portrait gig.

Outstanding Jon. 😀

Outstanding Jon. 😀

Thank you. I’m thrilled that so many people are reacting so favorably to my work.

I find the timing to be serendipitous as well, given that today is Thanksgiving. I have been blessed with many opportunities in life, and it’s nice to see that other people like the fruits of those opportunities. 🙂

Well, see that’s the dilemma. Back when I joined Fiverr almost four years ago, I thought a great deal about how I might turn my portrait skills into a viable gig. The problem with that, at the time, though, was that we could only sell services for $5. And, even when we were given the opportunity to add extras for additional value, there just wasn’t a way for me to offer my portrait drawing skills that would be anywhere near the value that would have to go into each portrait.

In other words, there was no way that I could sell my portrait services here on Fiverr and make a profit doing so. There is no way in Hades that I was going to draw one of those multi-hour drawings for only $5. No way whatsoever.

Now that we have a whole lot more freedom in the pricing we choose for our services, I would have to charge at least $200 (probably closer to $300) for each portrait, and even that would be on the lower end. There’s a lot of work, resources, and time that goes into each realistic portrait. I just don’t know if there’s a market – here on Fiverr – for buyers who are willing to pay that much for one of my portraits. And even then, due to the time and resources, would I be able to keep up with demand if I had more than two orders at one time?

I’m torn. I am considering the value of a portrait gig like that, I just don’t know whether the market is there (to warrant the effort), and whether I’d have the time to focus on ONLY drawing portraits like that for clients. That isn’t a quick service.

Now that we have a whole lot more freedom in the pricing we choose for our services, I would have to charge at least $200 (probably closer to $300) for each portrait,

I hear you!!

The reason I offer mainly chibi style is because I know the time I will need to create a realistic portrait, and $200 is just the starting price. Even though I can draw realistic stuff, considering the time it’s gonna take ( and the minus 20% taken away at the end) it still prevents me from creating a gig.

Plus I’m pretty busy with my other work already…sigh.

I’m glad you are getting all the positive feedback here though! 😃

Amazing. Those looks really great and you have pay attention to every detail.

Thank you. I am indeed rather fond of details. 😉

Everything you said about why you haven’t (and likely won’t) put up a gig for your drawing skills are exactly the same reasons why I also don’t do that.

I mean, for me it takes a lot of time and effort to make a realistic colored pencil painting, and people would think I’m overpricing things when in fact I would already probably underprice them, then there’s also the shipping problem, the hurried people who want it yesterday, AND what happens if I get a chargeback after days or more of work on a piece that someone would get away with for free and probably sell it for thousands themselves? 😩

Guest sophiesvoice

That’s certainly understandable. You really are talented though and it would be great if you could monetize this ability in some way. 😀

Well, let’s see… I can’t swim. 😉

I also can’t walk on the moon. 😛

I’m sure there are few other skills that I can’t claim to have as well.

My absolute Faves are the Kingons and Girl in the Shadows. Brilliant!

Thank you. I greatly enjoyed creating those! And I don’t really have the words to express how excited and thrilled the people those Klingon portraits were drawn for when they saw the finished work! 😉

I’m seeing this sentiment a lot within the last 24 hours. 🙂 Maybe there’s more interest here on Fiverr than I initially thought. Interest and market aren’t always the same thing though. Nonetheless, perhaps I should reconsider my previous concerns about the viability of a portrait gig.

Totally ignore what :robot:

My next funko pop purchase will be this guy. 😉

Klingon_FunkoPOP.jpeg.29e9b4d1fbaff6b9e9f3995d3c474720.jpeg

Everything you said about why you haven’t (and likely won’t) put up a gig for your drawing skills are exactly the same reasons why I also don’t do that.

I mean, for me it takes a lot of time and effort to make a realistic colored pencil painting, and people would think I’m overpricing things when in fact I would already probably underprice them, then there’s also the shipping problem, the hurried people who want it yesterday, AND what happens if I get a chargeback after days or more of work on a piece that someone would get away with for free and probably sell it for thousands themselves? 😩

I mean, for me it takes a lot of time and effort to make a realistic colored pencil painting, and people would think I’m overpricing things when in fact I would already probably underprice them, then there’s also the shipping problem, the hurried people who want it yesterday, AND what happens if I get a chargeback after days or more of work on a piece that someone would get away with for free and probably sell it for thousands themselves?

Exactly. I love to draw, and I’m good at it… but Fiverr may not be the best market for that kind of drawing service, because Fiverr still tends to be a low-budget market. And there’s no way those portraits match the habits and interests of this low-price market.

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only person who has has to consider this with a valuable and marketable skill. 🙂

That’s certainly understandable. You really are talented though and it would be great if you could monetize this ability in some way. 😀

Oh, I’ve monetized my portraits to great success before (outside) of Fiverr. Those portraits just don’t seem to be a service that I can offer for a low price here on Fiverr.

I’ll keep pondering the idea, though. Perhaps on-Fiverr monetization inspiration will still strike at some point. 😉

Archived