How I Turned an Angry Client Into a Repeat Buyer Who Leaves 5-Star Reviews and Tips

jcmcbride

On 11/20/2017 at 12:26 PM, writer99025 said:

Well, you are in the USA - Florida - you can get any job you want. The best place to find a job in the world right now, nobody has to stay jobless there. Also business has been picking up - 3% GDP growth - small and midsized business owners very confident according to surveys- unemployment rate at a historic low. I would say that even if you were to lose your Fiverr account - which is the worst case scenario - you will be fine.

I always look at the worst case scenario and alternative solutions for that.

(That’s why I don’t understand some of the pessimism coming from your country and your media. As an outside observer, I have to say WOW - the US economy, business and employment situation has never looked better. The politics and the media noise is hurting the US, but go beyond that, and you will see that things couldn’t have been better. Even the income of the non-college educated working class has risen by quite a lot.)

I can’t get any job I want. The job market has changed a lot. Companies are so horrible, they say there’s a skills gap, that candidates don’t have the skills they need. They lie.

I’ve seen jobs where they demand a copywriter who’s also a wordpress developer and a graphic designer. How is that logical?

Before, all you had to be was a copywriter. Then copywriter and proofreader. Then copywriter, proofreader, and art director. Now 3 to 4 skills? Sometimes I wish I had done the art director track at Miami Ad School.

My point is employers want to get 2-3 workers for the price of one. It would be like a hospital hiring a dermatologist who’s also a cardiologist and proctologist.

As for the pessimism coming from our media, that’s a political topic. PM me if you want to discuss.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:35 PM, ollydave said:

Here’s the thing though - bills are really high (gas, electricity etc)

Exactly. I’d rather make a high or medium salary at a cheap place than a high salary at an expensive place.

Where in the UK do you live in? London? I’m told London is the most expensive city in England.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Whew, I needed to see this topic today! Great story, and I’m glad things worked out. Maturity usually wins out in these one-on-one interactions, and even if you hadn’t turned the buyer around, you’re still responding with dignity (which slips away from folks online from time to time).

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

bills are really high

Exactly. I’d rather make a high or medium salary at a cheap place than a high salary at an expensive place.

Where in the UK do you live in? London? I’m told London is the most expensive city in England.

Exactly.

I lived in London and Brighton. Yes, London is expensive, but it depends on the area. I love London especially because of the Tube. Really awesome (and yes, expensive). Brighton is also a lovely place. I lived beside the sea. Great during the summer.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, fastcopywriter said:

As for the pessimism coming from our media, that’s a political topic.

I don’t feel or see pessimism from our media. I see a dangerous situation here. But yes this is something to be discussed privately.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:05 PM, fastcopywriter said:

You would have to move to central Florida like Ocala or Lakeland.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

You would have to move to central Florida like Ocala or Lakeland.

Real estate rents aren’t that cheap in central Florida.

According to Google, the cheapest rents are in Indianapolis, Boise, Cincinnati, Des Moines, Lubbock, and the cheapest… Toledo, Ohio.

1-bedroom median rent: $442.5

2-bedroom median rent: $650

Single-family residence median rent: $790

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Real estate rents aren’t that cheap in central Florida.

According to Google, the cheapest rents are in Indianapolis, Boise, Cincinnati, Des Moines, Lubbock, and the cheapest… Toledo, Ohio.

1-bedroom median rent: $442.5

2-bedroom median rent: $650

Single-family residence median rent: $790

It used to be that no one wanted to live in central Florida but now the baby boomers are retiring to warm climates so everything is expensive. The “rust belt” of the country is losing populations.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Ashane. Is that a theoretical question? I see that you have seven 5-star reviews, so your buyer does seem happy, and not angry, and it seems to be going well for you.

If you're talking about a specific experience, some more details would be helpful.

If it's a general and theoretical question, it's not really possible to answer that in a few sentences, there are whole books about subjects related to that. Ask yourself what elements may be at play, and look up information, for example "expectation management", "business communication", "how to please unhappy customers", "customer psychology", "customer service skills", "working with customers", "collaboration with customers", "dealing with angry customers", and other associated search phrases may be good starting points for your research. There are shiploads of information at your fingertips.

• Like 46
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, adesanmi_ope said:

How is the best way to handle an angry buyers ?

It depends entirely on why they're angry, but some general rules I like to follow: 

• Be very polite, understanding, and try to repeat what they are saying to ensure they know you understand the situation. 
  • Make it clear that you want to help them solve their issue.
  • If the buyer is being a bully/calling you names or in any way treats you disrespectfully, explain that you welcome constructive feedback, but not bad behavior. 
  • Always remain professional, even if the buyer mistreats you. That does not mean you should accept bad behavior, but how you respond matters. 
  • Stay calm. Don't "talk back" in the same, angry tone. Try to find out why the buyer feels angry and ask them what you can do to make things better. 

I'd fire the client if all else fails and the buyer is disrespectful/unresponsive to these methods. 

Here's a post I wrote about nightmare buyers:

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 34
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4