My pet rats are eating my wallpaper

capitalquality

You need to hire exterminators, or pest controllers, I think they prefer that term nowadays.

Umm I do not understand the significance of your advice to this thread tho…

You do realize OP is talking about her pet rats right? lol

Maybe I got confused. Didn’t she say the rats where eating her walls? They did not sound like pet rats to me. Pet rats stay in their cages where they belong.

Maybe I got confused. Didn’t she say the rats where eating her walls? They did not sound like pet rats to me. Pet rats stay in their cages where they belong.

Think of pet rats like little dogs. They are intelligent and require exercise and mental stimulation. Their cage is their home, but rats need some ‘free-range’ time every day. In my case, that’s the spare bedroom, which is free of hazards, like real dogs and active electrical items. However, rats love to chew and shred things. It’s in their nature. They’re currently peeling the wallpaper off gleefully and I’d rather they didn’t do this.

Are you from NY?

If so, then I can understand why you might have some aversion to rats… :thinking:

Think of pet rats like little dogs. They are intelligent and require exercise and mental stimulation. Their cage is their home, but rats need some ‘free-range’ time every day. In my case, that’s the spare bedroom, which is free of hazards, like real dogs and active electrical items. However, rats love to chew and shred things. It’s in their nature. They’re currently peeling the wallpaper off gleefully and I’d rather they didn’t do this.

So what kind of pet rats do you have? Hamsters? Or the real rats, the big ones? Are they white or black?

I couldn’t do what you do. I had a hamster as a kid, it had a wheel, it was in the cage all the time. Do you have a garden? Maybe your free range time could be there, with some fencing to keep them in place.

Are you from NY?

If so, then I can understand why you might have some aversion to rats… :thinking:

No, I’m not from NY, and I don’t have an aversion to rats. I have an aversion to roaches and bees and wasps and hornets. I am not a fan of a rats, however, they’re responsible for the black plague (they carry fleas), they spread diseases, they have provide humanity with no benefit. The only exception are guinea pigs which scientists use to test vaccines.

I do respect rats, however, they are incredibly smart and extremely adaptable.

I recommend this book

Rats: Observations on the History & Habitat of the City’s Most Unwanted Inhabitant

amazon.com

Rats: Observations on the History & Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants 1, Robert Sullivan - Amazon.com

Love them or loathe them, rats are here to stay-they are city dwellers as much as (or more than) we are, surviving on the effluvia of our society. In Rats, the critically acclaimed bestseller, Robert ...

No, I’m not from NY, and I don’t have an aversion to rats. I have an aversion to roaches and bees and wasps and hornets. I am not a fan of a rats, however, they’re responsible for the black plague (they carry fleas), they spread diseases, they have provide humanity with no benefit. The only exception are guinea pigs which scientists use to test vaccines.

I do respect rats, however, they are incredibly smart and extremely adaptable.

I recommend this book

Rats: Observations on the History & Habitat of the City’s Most Unwanted Inhabitant

amazon.com

Rats: Observations on the History & Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants 1, Robert Sullivan - Amazon.com

Love them or loathe them, rats are here to stay-they are city dwellers as much as (or more than) we are, surviving on the effluvia of our society. In Rats, the critically acclaimed bestseller, Robert ...

Scientists also use 🐒 as well.

So what kind of pet rats do you have? Hamsters? Or the real rats, the big ones? Are they white or black?

I couldn’t do what you do. I had a hamster as a kid, it had a wheel, it was in the cage all the time. Do you have a garden? Maybe your free range time could be there, with some fencing to keep them in place.

Hamsters are not rats!

Anyway, mine are white with champagne hoods, and white with brown hoods (I have 4), and they’re great fun when they’re out. They want to play tug of war and hide and seek and have no real fear of being trod on which is another problem. They go outside sometimes but the weather’s been rubbish this year so it’s harder to go outside and not get soggy cardboard. Also harder to keep the dogs out of the way 🙂

Sorry to hear you hamster was so lonely 😦

• 3 years later...

Archived