"Rejected" work just sits there in my sales list. What do I do?

idostuff74

Hi,

a buyer had ordered a “test” gig from me, to see how his text would look in my kinetic typography. He loved it, all good but wanted a few additions beyond the scope of my included revisions (1). And so I - maybe wrongly? - offered those in a new offer. Now we never resolved the original gig and it hangs around in my sales list, rejected.

How do I make it go away? I am concerned Fiverr might interpret this as some failure on my part and I take a hit on my spotless ratings.

?

It’s a modification, just go to the rejected gig and redeliver the file (with changes). That’s it. Explain to the buyer that you made a newbie mistake and apologize for the error and it should be fine. You can charge for revisions–but if that’s the case, add a gig extra for additional revisions and set the price accordingly.

i would also suggest a mutual cancellaton on the new gig since you now have 2 identical gigs.

As emmaki said, deliver the rejected order (the modification). That should still be your main order, because if you let the mod sit too long, the system may automatically cancel it after 48 hours.

For future reference (and to build on what emmaki stated) – revisions/modifications on an open order can be negotiated with a gig extra that the buyer purchases after an order starts; that gig extra gets tacked on to the current order. This is a GREAT way to extend deadlines if needed, though it does cost the buyer $6 minimum, because when adding a gig extra you can also add work days. This might work best with repeat clients, though, where you can offer $5 off their next purchase if they work with you to extend the deadline. Or, you offer an extra and just pop up the number of days. Add-on gig extras can be totally customizable!

So how do you harness this awesome power?
On the order page, you’ll see a message box at the bottom. There should be a button that says gig extras or something. When you click that, it opens a series of options, much like sending a custom offer from private messages. You can add current gig extras or make your own and set the price. Then you can send it to your buyer and ask them to accept it. Again, this is all through the order page.

This is a really useful strategy when dealing with customers who don’t read gig descriptions, or who misinterpret them. Just explain what your gig is for and how they misinterpreted it, offer the gig extras that account for the real total cost of the order, and ask them to accept it if they’d like to continue the order, otherwise you’re fine mutually canceling the order. It’s kind of a nice way of giving an ultimatum, plus it’s all recorded.

To answer your initial question, I think rejected orders sit in limbo indefinitely. At least, that’s what I’ve read here on the forums. The buyer doesn’t get a refund, the seller never gets the funds. It just takes up space on your dashboard forever.

“This is a GREAT way to extend deadlines if needed […] because when adding a gig extra you can also add work days”

This is great to know, thank you. I had some cases in which it would have been a good thing to offer a buyer a proofread of their source file first, before doing the actual translation work, and confusing buyers with whom that is the case with another offer isn´t always an enticing option.

It’s only a problem with buyers who don’t want to spend any more money. But most reasonable buyers will be fine extending the deadline if they suddenly want more work or misunderstood the original work/order.

The limbo of rejection can also be manipulated to prevent late orders, but I’m not totally sure on policies around it so I’m not announcing it as a solution.

Archived