What protection do we have as a buyer from sellers damaging your website?

strawberryman1

I hired a seller to complete some simple wordpress fixes. Things I could find. First time I hired him he was great. Second time, I asked him to fix errors I found doing an SEO scan of the my site. Well as he is fixing the site, you now can;t get into the site and receive this error message on the search page; ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. I do not know what he did. But now he is not responding to my emails and rejected the project. I still have not gotten my money back but this is going to to cost me money to fix it now.

It’s difficult. I would suggest for you to contact Customer Support. They can help you with the refund if the work wasn’t done according to the sellers gig description. I am happy to recommend a very knowledgeable seller if you are interested.

Login via you provider and use CPanel to figure out what’s going on with all the redirects. Otherwise try to get directly into your wordpress installiton as admin (usually http://yourdomainname.com/wp-admin). Then go to the SEO-plugin and deactivate it. The best way to figure things out is deactivating all the plugins and activate them one for one again until the problem occurs.
You could also go to the WP forum to see if there are answers if you run into a snag.

NEVER GIVE ACCESS TO YOUR WEBSITE WITHOUT MAKING A BACKUP FIRST!!!
If it is a bigger project being done in stages, make backups along the way, keeping them all. The worst that can happen in this situation is that you are back to square 1 and you get a refund from Fiverr.
If you have to go back to the person who originally made the site you may find they have a backup copy but they could also charge a hefty price for it as a kind of “F you for going to someone else”. I’ve seen it happen…

I´m not sure, but isn´t there even a way to ‘mirror’ your WP-site to another WP-site of yours that you just create for that purpose, even for the usecase of messing up your ‘real’ site yourself? I think I read a similar complaint about a WP site not long ago, seems to be a rather recurring theme.

• 5 months later...

It’s difficult. I would suggest for you to contact Customer Support. They can help you with the refund if the work wasn’t done according to the sellers gig description. I am happy to recommend a very knowledgeable seller if you are interested.

I like to know a good seller for website 🙂

Archived