Celebrity AMA w/ the Grand High Poobah of Nothing

jamesbulls

81165f9.jpg

Due to popular demand, I’m hosting an AMA with none other than myself, James Bulls, the Grand High Poobah of Nothing. Ask me anything! Politics and religion? Cake or pie? Cats or dogs? All questions will be answered, although the answers provided may or may not be relevant and also may or may not be in the form of an animated gif. Interesting questions will earn my full attention and at least some honesty. Dull questions will be mocked mercilessly. You’ve been warned.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question. Can you read your own tarot? If so, what does it say? Also, if it said something terrible, would you attempt to avoid that said something from occurring, or are you of the belief that our fates are all sealed for the most part?

If it helps, I’ve been guzzling homemade carrot orange and ginger juice for the past few weeks. I also love spicy food and have been using some of this to add a bit of a tang to noodles etc. Maybe make some yourself and put a splash in your soup the next time you make it?

Just be warned that you have to make it fresh otherwise it will separate.

Well, Thai cooking is all about combining sweet, spicy, sour and salty flavors into the same dish. In this case, if I cook for people I sometimes do ‘Thai lie’ dishes where I throw whatever spicy, sweet and citric things I have in the cupboard onto something stir fried and lie and say it’s an authentic Thair recipe.

Usually works.

I can read my own Tarot, and I think that anybody who says otherwise is just looking for excuses to not read their own cards. Either that, or they’re just bad at reading Tarot.

I rarely read my own cards, and the reason for that is a long explanation. Have any of you ever read Frank Herbert’s Dune? The core series that he wrote - mostly through the end of God Emperor Dune, it drops of quickly after that - included very heavy ponderings on the metaphysics of precognition. TL/DR, but Frank Herbert says as much in the books that divination doesn’t predict the future, but causes the future. He asserts that the future is chaos and is totally unwritten, but the moment you divine the future, you immediately lock it into the vision you saw.

So if a person gets a Tarot reading for a relationship question, and the reader draws a deeply unfavorable card, perhaps the relationship was fine but - because the reader attempted to divine the nature of it - occult forces pushed the relationship into the direction of the unfavorable card. Make sense? It’s not prediction, but causation, and thus it’s frequently preferable to not use divination unless it can be absolutely avoided. In other words, divination will show a way forward, but it then becomes the only way forward, and there’s not even a guarantee that you’ll like the path given to you. Tread carefully, eh?

I think Frank Herbert’s philosophizing is deeply engaging and I’ve read his core Dune series several times (I still haven’t finished +dozen books his son wrote), but I rarely read my own cards for the other reason that I find not-knowing to be exciting and liberating. On the occasion that I do read my cards, if something I don’t like turns up, I look for solutions and start asking myself what I would do to avoid it. And as much as I enjoy his pre-cautionary tale against the double-edged blade of prophecy, I don’t think that fortune telling changes the future. I do, however, think that it changes the recipient of the message. Fortune telling can create perceptual biases which can be helpful when they point out good things you didn’t see before, but can also be unhelpful when they point out bad things you didn’t see before.

At any rate, Tarot is a tool and the benefit depends on the use. It’s up to each person to decide how they want to use it, and as for me, I use it only on rare occasion. For me, the biggest benefit that Tarot has is as a psychic purge. If I’m consumed with worry and need closure or direction on something - whether good or bad - I can use the Tarot to provide it and purge the mental frustration and anxiety that inhibits me from acting constructively. In truth, this is little different than the psycho-drama of Satanic ritual, but that’s a discussion for another day.

Archived