Re: how much is your budget? [Scheduled to Archive]

wordpress_luv

Reply to @toutou123: I think this is all crazy mentality.

We’ve become a world of people who are unwilling to converse because there is little integrity–and this is on both sides.

The buyer is trying to find services for a reasonable price. IF they have a budget, then they work within that budget. If I have $100 for a project and need both illustrations and editing and I can GET editing for $20, then I have $80 for an illustration.

If I can save some money, great–but I can go all the way to $80 to get what I want.

As a seller, I’m not here to fulfill a hobby–this is how I eat, provide for my family and the hell if I’ll apologize to anyone for that, regardless of where you live or how you think. This is dollars a cents. I have a service and you want to buy that service.

Now, asking for a budget is a sticky situation at best. Unless someone has an account with you, I usually don’t ask. However, there are many of my Fiverr clients who TELL me about their budget–either to get a bid from me, or to LOWER my bid, AFTER I’ve given a price (isn’t that interesting)…so lets do a reverse here.

What am I WILLING to work for? That’s the ONLY question I ask myself after someone describes a job to me. This never includes people who simply order my gigs…because 99.9% f my jobs are custom. Just a fact. You want a simple pencil sketch? $5. Done.

You want 150 custom cards done for a board game? …that’s a BIT more than $5.

Totally agree with providing levels of quality—or specific features, like full color. So when I bid FOR WHAT I’M WILLING TO DO THE JOB FOR…if it is in the ball park, 90% of my clients will negotiate. Not just lower, but higher. OVER budget…because I can deliver exceptional quality, on time…and extra features.

So my 2 cents would be to forget asking about budget and bid what it’s worth to you. If it’s too high, it’ll come up, or they’ll walk away…

If it’s low enough, they’ll buy and you get what you wanted.

Win - Win either way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t think I’ve ever asked for a budget before but I don’t see any problem with people that do.

Usually, I ask a few questions to get a good idea of whats needed and I send two or there cost options to the buyer depending on the complexity/quality needed. Some say, great! Money is not a problem. Others say, forget it! But that seems to work and I don’t end up feeling underpaid.

Now, whenever I go to an agency my very first question is; What’s your budget? And thats because I want to offer the best I can do for the money that they have for the project. After all, you are competing against other bidders.

@wordpress_luv My guess is that some of the people you’ve dealt with in the past are just trying to get you the best offer for the budget you have. I would just add a quick replay to your message box that reads the following;

I don’t have a budget right now. I am looking for the best offer I can get considering quality and cost. What would you charge for what I’m asking for?

That might work better for you.

Reply to @anigrams: Well, roy, That is great you work at a rate and value your time at $1 minute and $600 per day. But considering minimum wage is barely $10 per hour in many places, people sometimes think sellers work for regular wages closer to minimum. NOt saying that is the wrong value, but then can you please go fix our country and get the minimum wage up to closer to where you are, beause at $10 per hour tht’s about .16 cents per minute, about $80 per day for an 8-hour shift, and $160 for 2 days worth of work, so compared to your $1200 for 2 days…you can see many people are probalby thinking that most people may be working their part-time minimum wage job here on Fiverr.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply to @ahmadtalhaazam: But why would you just not say what your budget is for any given project. If the work would be $85 then you just say that, and either the buyer has the budget or they don’t. If you ask, then it also means you are willing to negotiate in general and not work for what your full value is. If the buyer says they have $50 for the budget but you normally would charge $85 - would you do the job?

This is always so tricky. As a seller, you are constantly torn between the price you believe to be fair, and the price you think clients will like. Since this is freelance work, prices can always be negotiated based on what you are willing to do. If you quote too high, maybe the client will be scared off. And if you quote too low, you are undervaluing your work and skills as a trained professional.

What I have found, is that when you quote the price that you belive to be a fair represenative of your skills, even if it’s higher than the client wants, in the end it reflects positively on you. When you value yourself more, other people will too.

Have you heard the stories of when people go on vacation because they have too many orders, but then they end up having higher sales because they are considered in high demand? It’s the same thing with your pricing. People are willing to pay more for work that is worth more.

If you truely think your skills are worth the extra money, then don’t be afraid to ask for it. In the end, it may actually make people want your work more.

The budget is perfectly fine, today I saw someone that wanted 40 pages for his website, his budget was $250. Now this isn’t what I do, so I ignored the request, but there are plenty of people that can do that, and will gladly do it for $250, $200, etc. You’re also free to submit bids that are higher than the budget.

This also help sellers know which buyers can afford what. As for Asia, there’s a lot of middle class and rich people in Asia, more than one Asian buyer can afford to pay $40, $50, $500, whatever it takes.

• 1 year later...

I never ask what’s the buyer’s budget. The buyers tell me what they need done, I tell them the price. That’s it. If they place the order, great. If they tell me that they don’t have that much, I politely advise them to look for a seller with prices better suited to their budget.

Here here, I agree. My plumber , auto mechanic, doctor etc Do Not ask me for my budget !

Here here, I agree. My plumber , auto mechanic, doctor etc Do Not ask me for my budget !

Your plumber, auto mechanic and doctor are all professionals in your local area. Online, the East/West difference is in pricing (due to localized cost of living) in a global market. If an American wants to hire a top seller from Bangladesh or whatever for pennies on the dollar, that’s a major USP, especially if that seller can display skill equal to someone who is asking x10 more.

Your local etc isn’t competing against these guys. They’re competing against people in the same boat.

In the online world, in my case, “what’s your budget” is a useful question, because I charge high prices on a budget site. I don’t want to waste your time or mine.

Gold doesn’t make the rules. You’ve just revealed your very shallow budget in your attitude here anyway. Hire me, I’ll write articles that make you fabulous gold. 1,500 words will set you back the better part of $1k though. I make the gold happen, though it never comes near me.

So, how much gold do you have? Enough for me?

P.S. It’s “hear hear”.

Your plumber, auto mechanic and doctor are all professionals in your local area. Online, the East/West difference is in pricing (due to localized cost of living) in a global market. If an American wants to hire a top seller from Bangladesh or whatever for pennies on the dollar, that’s a major USP, especially if that seller can display skill equal to someone who is asking x10 more.

Your local etc isn’t competing against these guys. They’re competing against people in the same boat.

In the online world, in my case, “what’s your budget” is a useful question, because I charge high prices on a budget site. I don’t want to waste your time or mine.

Gold doesn’t make the rules. You’ve just revealed your very shallow budget in your attitude here anyway. Hire me, I’ll write articles that make you fabulous gold. 1,500 words will set you back the better part of $1k though. I make the gold happen, though it never comes near me.

P.S. It’s “hear hear”.

Off topic:

am I allowed to post yet or am I still being called “new” by the new forum?

Yes it finally, after over 24 hours, allowed me to post.

I’ve been here 3 years, the new forum has been here two days, and IT calls ME new.

Off topic:

am I allowed to post yet or am I still being called “new” by the new forum?

Yes it finally, after over 24 hours, allowed me to post.

I’ve been here 3 years, the new forum has been here two days, and IT calls ME new.

I had the same issue. I’m gonna call it teething pains. I was locked out for 24hrs which was a bit annoying!

P.S. It’s “hear hear”.

I hear ya-- same here. (am I at 20 something yet? Lots of rules for when we can post, how much we have to post, it’s never right.)

Nothing like adding even more stress to what used to be my stress reliever.

I hear ya-- same here. (am I at 20 something yet? Lots of rules for when we can post, how much we have to post, it’s never right.)

Nothing like adding even more stress to what used to be my stress reliever.

What hoops do we need to jump through to be able to post when we want to?

Archived