What I'm looking for (as a buyer)

wendym

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @viser1000: No, Evil Dead is Fede Alvarez (original Evil Dead was Sam Raimi), Dawn of the Dead is Romero. Have you seen Land of the Dead? If not that’s also Romero and very good (also cameos by Shawn of the Dead guys, as zombies.) And if you’ve never seen Shawn of the Dead, you’re probably going to want to see that too (it’s totally not scary, and absolutely more hilarious if you’re a fan of zombie films)

@vedmak: Try to catch it on the big screen if you can, Evil Dead should still be in theaters (just came out on the 5th of this month) and it’s one of the few horror movies that are worth it. If you like comedy horrors Cabin in the Woods is good (Drew Goddard, written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard)

Here’s the deal with Evil Dead, there’s the first Evil Dead made in 1981, then the remake of Evil Dead which is essentially the same movie (with negligibly wittier lines and an extended fight scene between Ash (Bruce Campbell) and his hand in the kitchen that is the Evil Dead 2 (1987), then there’s the 3rd movie that picks up where Evil Dead 2 leaves off (Ash is sucked into another dimension) and that is Army of Darkness (1992) and it is as bad (in a good way) as any other sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies Bruce Campbell has ever been in.

Reply to @viser1000: No, Evil Dead is Fede Alvarez (original Evil Dead was Sam Raimi), Dawn of the Dead is Romero. Have you seen Land of the Dead? If not that’s also Romero and very good (also cameos by Shawn of the Dead guys, as zombies.) And if you’ve never seen Shawn of the Dead, you’re probably going to want to see that too (it’s totally not scary, and absolutely more hilarious if you’re a fan of zombie films)

@vedmak: Try to catch it on the big screen if you can, Evil Dead should still be in theaters (just came out on the 5th of this month) and it’s one of the few horror movies that are worth it. If you like comedy horrors Cabin in the Woods is good (Drew Goddard, written by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard)

Here’s the deal with Evil Dead, there’s the first Evil Dead made in 1981, then the remake of Evil Dead which is essentially the same movie (with negligibly wittier lines and an extended fight scene between Ash (Bruce Campbell) and his hand in the kitchen that is the Evil Dead 2 (1987), then there’s the 3rd movie that picks up where Evil Dead 2 leaves off (Ash is sucked into another dimension) and that is Army of Darkness (1992) and it is as bad (in a good way) as any other sci-fi/fantasy/horror movies Bruce Campbell has ever been in.

Reply to @wendym: Oh, I see… What really scares me about zombie films is not really the gore but the hopelessness depicted in the films. Dawn of the dead promised a bit of hope for the protagonists but in the end there really wasn’t any. Same is seen in almost every other zombie film. I’m curious, what is it that you like about zombie films?

I personally like horror films where the heroes are the evil guys. Like The Devil’s Rejects, Wake, Saw, Ichi the Killer and some biographical psycho films like Dahmer and Gacy.

Reply to @wendym: Oh, I see… What really scares me about zombie films is not really the gore but the hopelessness depicted in the films. Dawn of the dead promised a bit of hope for the protagonists but in the end there really wasn’t any. Same is seen in almost every other zombie film. I’m curious, what is it that you like about zombie films?

I personally like horror films where the heroes are the evil guys. Like The Devil’s Rejects, Wake, Saw, Ichi the Killer and some biographical psycho films like Dahmer and Gacy.

@viser1000: Depends on the kind of zombie (demon possessed, alien host, rage virus, hungry reanimated dead) but it’s really the idea that a few can resist the masses right up to the end. It’s very easy to become a zombie and it’s very difficult to avoid zombification. It’s a very good analogy to the contagiousness of bad ideas; as it’s easy to accept and cling to a bad idea because it’s popular opinion and very difficult to maintain one’s individuality and be ever mindful to avoid infection.

I’m all over the board with horror in general though, it just depends on my mood.

@viser1000: Depends on the kind of zombie (demon possessed, alien host, rage virus, hungry reanimated dead) but it’s really the idea that a few can resist the masses right up to the end. It’s very easy to become a zombie and it’s very difficult to avoid zombification. It’s a very good analogy to the contagiousness of bad ideas; as it’s easy to accept and cling to a bad idea because it’s popular opinion and very difficult to maintain one’s individuality and be ever mindful to avoid infection.

I’m all over the board with horror in general though, it just depends on my mood.

Guest scriptwizard

Can anyone help me out here in the following thread (perhaps elaborate a little more about how sure they are of what I am allowed or not allowed to do on this matter & if you don’t really know how sure are you of the accuracy of advice already been given to me in the thread below)???:

P.S. This thread was also slipping down the ranks, mustn’t have that must we? lol

Great post! It will be really help sellers, especially newbies. 😃

But I don’t think showing your real face is a necessity. Well some gigs should I guess (like testimonial service maybe?), some just don’t. People are aware about how important is self-branding, and a photo won’t help you that much, a great customed avatar will. We (seller) need to be recognized and remembered.

And as for me, I just think it’d be weird if I use my photo. I do illustrations, why don’t I illustrate myself? As long as my gig is convincing, plus I have great feedbacks, I’m sure I will gradually gain trusts. 🙂

Hey Wendym,

First i want to say Kudos for the nice topic and the humor you put on it. I never knew the Fiverr has its own Forum although i have been here for quite a while and also being an active buyer ranging from graphic work, css-,html-php- and Jquery programming, Ghostwriting, Music mixing and mastering and also video editing and video intros for my hip hop label and hip hop network.

Your tips to sellers are superb,

wendym said: I want to have a face to put with the user name. Avatars and graphics don't work that well for me, I remember names with real faces, and feel more comfortable giving my money to a real person with a real face.

This is one of the things most sellers should know about. It is very essential to have a face because it builds trust in everything you are doing, not only selling. I have been in many social networks and i run one and i find it very hard to take somebody serious who has no face to offer. In as much i do believe there might be many reasons why somebody may not want to show his face, but if you are serious about what you are doing you should show a face. And let me add a tip to those who because of any reason whatever decided not to show their faces, Then make sure that you have at least a solid logo of you business that is representative to what you are offering. It is even better to use a plain white just your name or the name of the gig that you will be offering. This is more representative than funny avatars.

wendym said: Explain, in as much detail as you can, what you're going to give me for $5.

Very nice point, the more a gig is explained and understandable, the better chance you have getting buyers, it is just compared to a shop that is well decorated and one that is untidy. Displaying what samples is very essential. I sometime find gigs, that i find interesting but when i click on it and see no samples, i am like "am not buying a cat in the sack", period.

wendym said: Communicate with me. Please, after you get the details from me, and *before* you start working if there are any questions in your mind about what I want just ask.

Communication is essential, especially if you are not sure, it is better to communicate than to do much revision. Personally, I think 5$ is nothing, to many people it might be big money depending on which country you live in but to some it might just be peanuts. But thats not important, important is that you have decided to offer your services at this given price, so if you do that, then you are binded by the mutual agreement to deliver the job as best as you can. I really value communication sometimes better than the work itself, because sometimes i have an idea of how i want a work to be, but the guy doing the job has a different idea, so if you don't communicate then you are risking having to do the work at least twice and this will cost you more time as required and we all know how important time is today and i don't need to quote the old proverb; " Time is money;

Actually i have had good communication here on fiverr and i will accept a job if it is not exactly how i wanted it, if the doer is very communicative. Sometimes i need a particular font for a graphic job and i am one of the person that will ask the doer if he has this specific font and if not, i am willing to send it. Now communication is not only the job of the doer, as i buyer too, it is important to explain well how you want a job, be direct, precise and keep it short. I acknowledge that there might be buyers who change their mind or will like to communicate more than necessary. This might bug the doer, but important is to remain polite, calm and if necessary hint the buyer about that.
It is better to hint while it is happening than to try to swallow everything and then over-burst, i mean overreact as it is necessary.
Finally i have to say thank you Wendym for making me laugh while reading this:
wendym said: or your neighbor secures his wi-fi connection so you no longer have free internet access except during library hours

I really enjoyed your sense of humor even though this might be real problem, when you ain't got your own Internet access.

Cheers
Stygo

Guest scriptwizard

I still say what counts in anyone’s gig are the reviews. If people’s real faces were so important they would nott trust all the faceless reviews written by those with default avatars of sheep. People take reviews seriously with or without faces. Reviews are what counts, full stop. You gain people’s trust by delivering great gigs reliably and those looking to buy inspect the reviews first… That’s how it works…

People are not judging your service by your face, avatars and faces are merely tools that help people’s brains to remember the service that delivered; just like we recognize logos. No one is going to earn trust based on merely featuring a real face on their gigs, it is what they deliver reliably and a service recognised by others as a good service that gains trust.

Guest scriptwizard

Reply to @vedmak: Yeah mister, I have been busy with this out of forum chaos keeping me busy for a while, I shall be back to abnormal soon enough.

Guest chrislnz

As newbie to Fiverr, but otherwise pretty long in the tooth and involved with the web since the days of MSDos, I have read through this thread with a great deal of amusement.

As it happens I have a real me as the avatar 🙂

Will be adding to my gigs over the next few days - hopefully I will get a buyer to get me on the road to Fiverr success!

Reply to @vedmak: i had a good laugh, what do you mean with ambiguous? LMFAO that me and one of my fables is cool sunglasses and nice big hip hop watches. So you will always see me with one.

Do you realize, that i am a top buyer, not a seller. And you cartoon of who ever does not really impress me. I suggest you think before you write.

Cartoons are great, when did you finish the Kindergarten?

Look at the right side, you will see my logo there. Well i agree with you cos sometime people have to write because others are writing.

Reviews attracts, faces pave the way for trust, take it or leave it, it is a fact.

Archived