Fiverr: How much LUCK and how much TALENT

asif001k

I heard a news about a female photographer who was picked by an agency for her photos she posted on the website, now she is quit a famous trainer at the agency, so an American professional Photographer Jared Polin commented on the event '‘its all about luck for there are hundreds of amazing photographers around the world but the lucky ones get picked’'

In my few days of experience in Fiverr i some how gathered the idea that there are a huge list of professionals,some are making the hell out of money as they also share their success stories on the forum but some how many professionals are quit still not been able to make the best. Is it some kind of fiver’s algorithm problem that promotes a few while others still remain in waiting still for months or the panel is completely based on merit for every one. Of course it highly depends upon the returning customers but for new customers as is see in photoshop segment, the top appearing people on the front page appeared an year ago when i checked fiverr and they are still appearing on the top making the best chance to get the huge number of customers. How would levels justify the equal merit

I think that Fiveer is more interested to keep top rated sellers by showing up at the top. Fiveer profit from it than to members and vendors 1 that don’t sell as much doesn’t get the response of Fiveer. I could be wrong but I would sponsor the best sellers if I were Fiveer and try to help the other up in top retrospectively if it is possible. But Fiveer should do more for even those who have poorer sales. Many times it is sufficient not to post the same gig over and over to Twitter or Facebook. What we should have here is a direct link to worldpress.

Hi.
You talk about people on the top appearing again and again. Most of these are featured gigs or gigs offered by TrS. Featured gigs are unique gigs personally chosen by the editorial team. They are special in their ways. If your gig is special, go ahead and ask CS to review it to be featured. TRS on the other hand earned their way to the top so they deserve to be there. They were level 1/2 at one point too, but they proved that they can bring in more sales. Their hard work and dedication deserves reward and hence they’re at the top and keep appearing. Fiverr also knows that these sellers are trustworthy and their quality is stable. Putting someone random could give buyers a bad image of fiverr.
P.S: there are constant new gigs appearing on the front page.

Reply to @ayesha880: everyone has equal merit: we all start with no levels and no reviews. The onus is on the individual to make themselves stand out and deliver quality. At the end of the day, Fiverr is a business and so are we–it’s up to us what we make of it. Remember the saying: success is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration! Luck can come into it, but that’s rare–and only a fool would depend on luck in business.

If I put more time and thought-out work to my entire business on Fiverr I would have 3000 sales. I’m not here more than half of the week regularly. Now, since it’s the summer I can have a little more time.

Fiverr is a platform where if you provide your services and you keep your patients you will succeed. Just like @emmaki said, we all start with nothing. The difference is that some started out 4 years ago, whilst many just joined within that past 5-12 months. It’s fair to say that those who started out earlier got the better of the ducklings.

Success in business isn’t only about having a skill in which you’re great. Probably, there’re thousands of people who are also great at that particular skill.
Knowing your field and delivering an excellent product is a must, but the difference is given by other abilities: marketing, customer support, communication, being nice…

Clients must end up convinced that they chose the best seller they could choose. They must feel good working with you, because we all like to go back to people/places where we feel good.

Also, most times a buyer isn’t an expert in whatever field of the service he’s buying. The appreciation of quality is based on trust.
I do translations, and I know that most of my buyers know little or no Spanish. But they give me good ratings and tips, and I’m pretty sure that that’s because of trust. They don’t know if I made a good job of not, but they trust that I did.

Finally, I think that Fiverr has a lot of traffic and potencial buyers. Luck may accelerate or decelerate the process, but after some time, good sellers will succeed, and not so good ones won’t.

@megapackages: reputation and trust is built over time. Luck, as I said, is a fool’s game. It’s a thing, but business should be based on a solid foundation of professionalism and hard work. The only luck is being at the right place at the right time. There’s nothing crucial about it, it’s just a nice perk to be enjoyed on the rare occasion that fortune shines on you.

@thecreativeguys: I joined in January 2014 (well, right at the end of December as a part of a New Year’s Resolution to "grow my business, but same difference!). It took me a slow 2014 to really get going. If you have a quality product and good customer service, it’s simply a waiting game. They will come. If your gigs aren’t working, it’s time to recalibrate them–especially when Fiverr tinkers with the algorithms and keywords.

Like I keep saying, it’s business and hard work.

Archived