Buyer Acting Suspicious - Advice?

mhwoolz

I am in the same exact situation right now. I had a buyer accept an order for an instrumental remix, which I completed and delivered on time. However, the buyer keeps making unreasonable and impossible demands, as well as bullying me into providing free extras. It’s a $15 order, but honestly I would normally charge $50 for everything that has been done.

The person is obviously trying to steal my work. I don’t know what to do. I don’t understand why there isn’t any protection for sellers. I’ve done above and beyond everything stated in the order the buyer accepted, so he shouldn’t be able to just rob me of my time and work. I would have much rather been able to celebrate Easter with my family than work on this bully’s order.

Reply to @cyntrix: If the buyer is asking for unreasonable modifications, you politely tell the buyer that is not part of the original gig, however if they would like to purchase an additional gig you can continue to work on the project. Then if they insist you do a mutual cancellation and report them to Fiverr.

You should not take bullying and certainly not miss a holiday with your family. Is it really worth $15 to miss EAster?

I would also suggest taking a look at your gig description write up just to make sure it is completely clear. This way if a buyer asks for something that is impossible and unreasonable you can direct them to reread the gig.

Reply to @sincere18: Unfortunately I have done all of this, minus the cancellation. I’m hoping he will just get bored and not notice when it automatically gets marked as complete in 3 days. My gig descriptions use the maximum amount of characters and are very in depth as to exactly what I do and do not provide.

I would like to report the user, as I found out he’s illegally selling loop and sample packs through Fiverr that are not his (copyright infringement.) I cannot seem to locate the report user button though. Any tips on finding it? This is way more difficult than it needs to be.

Guest shoutoutz

@mhwoolz

Just curious, I was looking at your Gig and was wondering, how are you able to achieve orders from users when your completion time is “22 Days on Average”?

Reply to @cyntrix: actually I looked at your instrumental gig…I think you have a bit too much info in there. No one needs to know how many hours anything takes you, that is your own busienss and your own business decision on how much you are willing to do for $5 here on Fiverr. just state what they get, X much for $5, and if you want X much please order X gigs.

Also, I might suggest removing your age from your profile. Just say:

I’m a music producer and videographer from Louisville, KY.

Saying you are only 20 years old may get some people taking advantage of you thinking you do not know what you are doing or rather just talking to you as they would their own 20 year old kid.

To report someone, just send a note to customer service.

Reply to @shoutoutz: In general I try to keep my delivery period a bit shorter (around 10-14 days), but lately I’ve had an immense amount of demand and so had to let it out. I really focus on providing high-quality work, and to make sure I can do it on time, I have to let out my delivery time. This is the longest I’ve ever had to make it, but I keep getting new orders (although demand has gone down a little bit). I try to make sure people know I have a long delivery time before I order.

In my experience, a lot of buyers are willing to wait longer if they know they’re getting something that’s good quality and if you’re good at communicating with them. I also have a lot of great return customers who know to place their orders a bit in advance, so they don’t seem to mind much.

When I started out on Fiverr, I had a much shorter delivery period, but I’ve been able to make it longer without much of a problem now that I’m established.

Just as a clarification, Fiverr writes your chosen delivery time as an “average,” but in reality it’s more of a set limit on how long it will take. I complete most of my orders in a little less time than 22 days, but I like to give myself a bit of extra room.

@graphics_proff: Sorry to hear that!

Just as an update: my buyer requested I do some extra work for free to “make it worth” the cost, which I refused. I happily did a modification for him, but I wasn’t willing to revise new content.

Since then, the order has been automatically marked as complete, and I haven’t heard anything else from him, although I suppose there’s still time for a negative review.

I’m sure that every buyer is different, and I don’t want to invalidate what many people are saying about how giving a refund is often your best option. I think that some buyers, however, are looking to get something from you quickly, but they know they’re in the wrong and aren’t going to push the issue too far if you stay polite and firm in not giving in.

Good luck to everyone else who’s dealing with similar problems!

Archived