Messages Read On

ellinx

I’m kind of with Kay–if I’m getting a lot of messages throughout the day or someone asks for something truly ridiculous, I’ll only spend my time answering the people I’m actually interested in working with. That might be a little harsh, but on a busy day, I’m not going to respond to the people who are asking for something I clearly state in my gig description I won’t do. Or, I’ll read a message on a break but won’t answer it until the end of my work day, which could be a six hour gap. All I can see happening is the buyers I either don’t respond to at all or the ones I don’t respond to “quickly enough” sending me messages like "I know you’ve read this, why won’t you respond!?"

So while it might be nice to be able to see if your buyer has read your message, I think it would likely end up making the sellers’ lives harder.

Reply to @emasonwrites:

Completely agree with you and kay on this one - I’m not sure how it benefits anyone and I’m not convinced that the timestamps are necessarily accurate as to when someone has actually ‘read’ the message. I know I sometimes click on things but don’t read them there and then.

As well as the privacy argument, sometimes you want time to think carefully about how to respond to a message which means you don’t reply instantly. I manage a couple of successful international collaborations where, due to timezone differences, we can often only email once a day at best but this just means you have to put more thought and time into communication, which I don’t think would hurt many people on Fiverr at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I also have a customer that wrote me a message days ago and, because I was in a vacation, I was offline for 4 days. So I replied. But I’m still waiting for an answer, because he said that it was going to be a great scope for tourism in a country. But I’m loosing any hopes that he will reply back. The worst thing is that I don’t know if he has read my messages.

I also have a customer that wrote me a message days ago and, because I was in a vacation, I was offline for 4 days. So I replied. But I’m still waiting for an answer, because he said that it was going to be a great scope for tourism in a country. But I’m loosing any hopes that he will reply back. The worst thing is that I don’t know if he has read my messages.

The worst thing is that I don’t know if he has read my messages.

What difference would that make? He will either answer you at some point, or he won’t. Knowing that he has read your messages (or not) wouldn’t change a thing.

Archived