Do you have a revision policy on your gigs?

feltonlegal

I was thinking about doing a revision policy for my gigs. I didn’t have one before because I wanted my clients to be 100% satisfied so if I needed to amend the docs that would be ok. I do legal and business consulting so all of my work is written content. While I want my clients to be satisfied, at what point do you draw the line?!?! What do your revision policies say? If you don’t use them, do you have a reason why you don’t?

RANT- read at your own risk, or you can just share your experience with revision requests below 😉 I had a recent experience with a Buyer who purchased a regular gig but of course wanted custom documents. (yes, my gig does explicitly say custom docs should be discussed prior for a custom quote, but some people don’t read, they purchased templates but wanted custom) I didn’t want a cancellation to hurt me since I’m still so new so I spent hours creating the custom documents, doing legal research etc. and creating about 10 pgs of legal context from scratch, just for them to come back again and want tons of other things that was not clarified before. So at this point, I was working for about $2/hr. I wrote 3 full order messages explaining the changes I did and told the Buyer that I take pride in my work (which I do), so if they still feel that they were “not satisfied at all” (this was the exact language they used in their original modification request) then I ask that they do a mutual cancellation as I would rather I lose the hours I invested in doing their work than for them to waste their money on work they were unsatisfied with (I was very diplomatic and professional, I actually had to re-write this message as I didn’t want my annoyance to shine through). All in all I was grateful that the Buyer did give me a positive review, but I was frustrated and felt that I was taken advantage of. I don’t mind freelance work, its great to be able to be in my pajamas and get work done, but everyone knows that legal work is very expensive! My full-time job charges $200/hr. for my services (of course I don’t receive that in my check LOL and no I don’t expect that here), but my point is I am offering quality legal services at an extremely fair price- It just frustrates me that people want the world for $5!

Hi Feltonlegal,

What i do is if someone wants custom work after purchasing my basic gig, I just have them add a gig extra or purchase another gig for the remaining amount.

So if what the customer wants will cost $100 and all they purchased was a $5 gig, and Assuming they are OK with that price, then you could send them a custom offer for $95 and then when you are finished, you can deliver the finished work to both orders. But if they are a requesting a common extra, then you can have them go to the top of the order page and add an extra after they have already ordered.

Hope this helps,

Isaac

favicon.icoFiverr.com profile_photo_bw.jpg

isaacroot's public profile on Fiverr

Hi! I'm a professional designer with many years of experience with video and animation, graphic design, branding, and advertising. I have a passion for helping individuals and businesses succeed. I provide excellent customer service. Let me know if...

It’s OK to be overworked for your first gigs. You’re getting a good name for yourself. But as you increase your reputation, you do need to start being honest and a little more firm. I say something like this.

Yes, I can do that, and I’m more than happy to do that for you. The cost for that extra service is: $dollar amount - then I either explain where the extras are or offer to make them a custom order.

OK, to be clear - my disclaimer stands at:

PLEASE HIT THE MODIFICATION BUTTON TO REQUEST MODIFICATION!

‘MESSAGES’ SENT TO MODIFY AN ORDER WILL NOT BE ACTIONED.

Please do not ask me to modify an order if :

1. Your order has been marked as complete

2. You are adding/changing text from your original brief

Thank you,

AK

I don’t provide revisions unless either:

1. I feel like he is right
  2. He ordered a custom gig.

This is because my gig is very difficult to revise. I’ll have to go out a re fly the whole entire shot unless its something to do with editing

-Capturing Drone Aerial Videos

Good conversation. Revisions are being requested a lot more often since they added the “request a modification” button. Customer objections to completed work are off the charts compared to what you normally encounter as a service provider on the Web. Revising work is easy in some fields, but amounts to doing the job all over from scratch in other fields. The number of customers who think they know it all is also unusually high.

If you can catch a misorder immediately, state what the gig includes and give them options. Including the option to mutually cancel. I never want anyone to feel like they are in a bait and switch. Even though it is because they didn’t read.

I was very flexible with mismatched orders and insane revisions. You nailed it at $2.00 an hour. This helped me build my ratings. I think it was money or time well invested. Like you, I’ve been in my industry for 20 years, so I needed a large hourly. It came on Fiverr with time.

You will continue to tighten up your gig description. I still offer multiple revisions, I just build enough into the price to cover it. I do have restrictions, like if the script changes, etc.

It will take about 100 orders on each gig to get them started and to figure the gig out.

I mainly want to encourage you in the fact that your experience is not unusual and it does get better once your Fiverr account is established with reviews and repeat customers.

Thanks for all your comments! I do feel much better. @artworkking thanks for your revision disclaimer. I better hurry up and go put one on my gigs before someone else tries to get me!

@landongrace, you totally feel me- I’m a newbie so I know I need to build my ratings, I hope everything will be worth it in the end (you got TRS so if definitely worked out for you!) I’m so afraid of a negative review right now since I’ve got less than 20 sales. I have a 100% rating now, but a single bad rating will kill my stats. I give my very best effort for all my gigs- I just hope my clients continue to recognize that.

I’ve definitely learned to be as concise as possible with my gig descriptions. For instance, if a client paid for a $5 press release and requests a modification that says something like, “This press release is too short. I need 300 words,” I refer back to my gig description that discloses no minimum word count is guaranteed with the $5 gig. If this client is a first-time client, I’ll generally accommodate them anyway - but I let them know it’s a one-time courtesy.

But it was your mistake to accept the gig. You should have offered a mutual cancellation. So if you choose to go ahead and accept the job even though it was wrong, that is your choice you are making. As a person earning $200 per hour, why do you really care? I mean I get that everyone wants to earn extra money here on Fiverr, but if you start your Fiverr business by not being strong you are going to continually get orders going out of bounds.

@sincere18- I only accepted it because I am a new seller. I did not want to do anything that would mess up my stats, including my 0% cancellation rate. As Landongrace said, the beginning is the time to really get your stats up. If I was a Level 2 with 300 reviews I certainly would have requested a mutual cancellation and inboxed them with specific directions if they wanted to continue the order, but with only a handful of reviews and 32 days on Fiverr, my stats can’t really take much of a hit right now. After going through the initial version of the docs & modifications I was so frustrated that I was ready to give the mutual cancellation a go if the Buyer still wasn’t satisfied. Also, I don’t make $200/hr. As a paralegal my law firm charges $200/hr. for the time I bill to my clients. If I made $200/hr. I wouldn’t be on Fiverr LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived