The problem with nudging Buyers

A buyers sends you a message before making an order, he provides instructions there. Then he makes an order, and forgets to provide instructions where he’s supposed to. He can’t even write “you know what to do.” What can the seller do? He knows what to do but he can’t get started. Can we get rid of the nudge button? I know this might cost some buyers money, maybe some unscrupulous sellers might deliver nothing and make a quick buck, but most are not going to do that.

Buyers, why do you make orders and then forget to follow through?

Reply to @fonthaunt: You can reject without penalty, click resolution and then click the link that promises removal without penalty to rating. But my issue is losing money over buyers that don’t pay attention. If the buyer sent you messages before placing an order, then he already provided instructions, so I should be able to begin the order.

I’ve had that happen and just send them a message asking them to write “please start” in the instructions, so the timer can start, otherwise I can’t deliver the order, has worked every time so far it has come up for me 🙂

In don’t know if it’s “forgetting” or really just not understanding that the order hasn’t actually started. I went back and forth with this guy for like two days, trying to get him to understand that I wasn’t asking for the instructions again (which we’d discussed in the messages), but that he needed to put something in the instruction field on the order page, or I wouldn’t be able to complete the order. He kept saying, “I paid, the money’s gone, that means you have the order,” and then copying and pasting his instructions again. sigh

Anyway, can’t there be some kind of message that pops up when a buyer is about to leave an incomplete order page that says, “Whoa there, friend. This order isn’t complete yet! This order won’t show up in the seller’s queue until you put instructions here.” (Arrow to instruction box or whatever it kind of field is available on the order page–I probably should purchase something at some point so I know what the process actually looks like.)

That vast majority of buyers figure it out and some really do just put the order halfway through and then disappear, but most of the incomplete orders sitting around, are there because a buyer doesn’t understand how or why they also have to put something on the order page, not just through the messaging system.

I have been having the same problem. I did a job for a client and then they forgot to add a gig extra so they just purchased another gig, but never submitted any info! So its been paid for and i have messaged the person but i cant get paid for it. And its been 2 months.

Reply to @isaacroot: That’s wonderful! Congrats. There’s a lot of money to be made with video, specially TV commercials. The trick is to think outside the box and do stuff that doesn’t require actors or voice overs (unless they give you the VO). Maybe simple animations, line drawings, stuff like that. I have a storyboard gig, I write the video and the copy side, and grab stock images on occasion.

Guest ricksper

Reply to @emasonwrites: If I know that the buyer is going to place an order as a result of conversations within the messaging system, I always advise them in advance about what to do when confronted with the “submit the requirements” page.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: yea the best ways to make money on Fiverr are to:

A. Have gigs that are very easy to deliver

B. Do lots of custom work and add gig extras

I recently got an order for $100 with more to come. Sorry it took so long to respond. For some reason I dont get forum notifications.

Could you check one of my gigs and give me a suggestion?

Reply to @fastcopywriter: Oh and by the way that seller finally responded on the order page and said “Can i send you the info tomorrow?” needless to say, she never submitted any info and I had to cancel the order which caused me to technically be late on the order even though she never submitted any inf in the first place.

Reply to @isaacroot: Being late is irrelevant once you’re have hit the resolution button and asked for a cancellation. That won’t hurt your ratings, only forced cancellations and negative reviews can hurt you.

Today some buyer asked for a revision, it was a $5 order. Sometimes I’ve made revisions, others times will request a cancellation. I like cutting my loses when the revision isn’t worth my time.

Archived