The Worst Thing You Can Tell A Seller

fastcopywriter

Reply to @catwriter: That’s true. And since I wrote this, those particular clients have “changed their tune.” Maybe they saw my comments here! Ha! I’m glad my suspicions don’t seem overly paranoid. I have really good intuition and hoped I wasn’t the only one who thought something was weird about this approach. But you’re right, it could just be someone’s approach to communication.

Reply to @writerlisaz: Right, and that’s why some sellers charge extra for extra work. When I started on Fiverr, I used to charge $5 for 10 headlines, but then I realized that my #1 competitor charges $5 for 1, and since I’m not always sure which headline is a great headline, I decided $5 for 5 is a great deal. If they want more, they pay for more.

Of course, proofreaders like you face a lot of competition, maybe that’s why you’re offering to proofread 2,000 words for $5. Would you be getting orders if you were offering 500 words for $5? Or 250? So I hope it doesn’t take you forever to proofread those 2,000 words.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I ordered from you recently ( and was happy with the 20 ideas given) . In your gig message maybe you should also say the same thing as you say on the gig listing itself. That because it’s a brainstorming gig , you can’t promised they will like it 100%. Having that kind of reminder might prevent this kind of thing happening again.

I am sorry that happened to you and to the many other sellers who shared their bad luck with buyers. But keep moving forward. Determining how to fix an issue is so much better than getting upset about it. Bad days come before good ones I always say. 🙂

Reply to @fastcopywriter: I’m quick, so I can often do 2000 words in 15-20 minutes (though this varies). I did go to 2000 so I could be competitive here on fiverr, and it seems to have worked. And now I only do the FIRST 2000 for $5, then I do every other 1000 for $5. (It’s easier to do the math for every 1000 words, too, when buying multiple times the gig!)

I used to promise 24 hour delivery too, but I’ve had to increase that due to sales volume and my own fatigue! I’m still getting orders, and lots of repeat clients, so that helps. I also get people buying my extras a lot. If someone pays me more for 12- or 24-hour delivery, it doesn’t take me extra time to do the work, and I get paid a lot more. I think it all evens out in the end, though I really should start keeping more meticulous track of my hours and how much I make per hour.

I think we all learn as we go here on fiverr, and I just hope it’s working out great for all of us. It has been more than I imagined when I joined last September, that’s for sure. I think good work pays off, no matter what you do.

I had a buyer recently who was looking for $600 worth of work for $300. The buyer repeated asked for a ‘package deal’ beyond this discount which was insane. They then went on to say that they didn’t want the previews of their work to be on my fiverr gig page, which was upsetting because given the discount they were asking for, I’d at least hope they’d have the courtesy of me using those illustrations to help get more orders. Then they asked for me to remove my signatures from everything that I was sending and for fully copyrights. In the end, I let them do the orders that they had already placed and made it very clear that this was insane, and the buyer simply completed the order and didn’t ask for more.

Another buyer recently asked for things and the information that they gave me wasn’t the same as what they actually wanted and I had to give 2 revisions. They didn’t leave any feedback and so when they asked for more revisions I had to give it. Long story short – sometimes fiverr is hard.

Reply to @renamits529: Buyers have all kinds of reasons not to leave feedback, some are lazy, some were not crazy about what you did but don’t want to leave a bad review. What I recommend is you not ask for feedback, but for a tip. “Care to tip?” or “If you like what I did, how about a tip?” Most buyers will just write the review, but every once in a while, someone tips. Easy money.

A bit off-topic, but in the same mood.

While working in a theme park doing live caricatures, I found a “special” kind of customer, this one always asks you not to pay if he don´t like the job.

And always said that didn´t liked it.

So I learned to “see” them, and when they make the “wrong” question, I claimed they pay in advance.

A few comments regarding buyers ordering from multiple sellers and buyers not leaving feedback–especially @writerlisaz and @catwriter. I’m a magazine editor and sometimes get swamped with articles I’ve commissioned from freelance writers. And sometimes the material from the freelancers (who we pay a heck of a lot more than the going rate here on Fiverr) definitely needs editing–not so much misspellings or blatant grammatical errors as awkward and sloppy phrasing.

So last October, I took a 1,000 excerpt from one of our freelancers–something that needed A LOT of editing–and sent it out to three highly-rated editors on Fiverr. I wasn’t expecting perfection, but just some initial clean-up. And it was a test to see how the three editors would perform. Here’s a very brief excerpt:

In the future, Smith says she thinks that there could be a curriculum structure allowing students to move at their own paces throughout. She explains that not all the students will necessarily begin their education at the same time or finish at the same time, as classes of students do now. The educational process will begin to account for the differences in learners’ capacities. Students who move through the curriculum slower might not be penalized, as education will be flexible. If students can move through it faster, though, it may cost them less.<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br />All three Fiverr sellers responded. One said the document really was fine as submitted; he didn't recommend any changes. The second one had a few edits. The third one was the only one that seemed to make a real effort and did a halfway decent job.<br /><br />I didn't contest any of them. I gave the first one (the one with no changes) the benefit of the doubt. He's probably used to seeing real garbage. In comparison, what I sent was nice and clean. And he's highly rated; clearly, others think he does a good job.<br /><br />On the other hand, I only rated the third editor--the one who did a decent job--with five stars. I couldn't in good conscience give the others 5 (or even 4 or 3) stars. They just didn't do good jobs. And so I left them unrated.<br /><br />I'm not saying that's what motivates most buyers. But it's worth considering.

Reply to @writerlisaz: This unexpected and unwanted months of cut-off was just like a tornado or may be a tsunami in my real life. Anyways, I am back now and willing to write some kickass content for all the entrepreneurs, small business start-ups, innovative idea explorers and much more.

https://www.fiverr.com/users/souljaboi45/manage_gigs

You can also recommend it to your family and friends.

Thank you

Bianca

Reply to @fastcopywriter: Reply to @writerlisaz: This unexpected and unwanted months of cut-off was just like a tornado or may be a tsunami in my real life. Anyways, I am back now and willing to write some kickass content for all the entrepreneurs, small business start-ups, innovative idea explorers and much more.

https://www.fiverr.com/users/souljaboi45/manage_gigs

You can also recommend it to your family and friends.

Thank you

Bianca

I have only received a few reviews that are less that 5 stars… I really don’t understand why a customer would give less than a 5 star review… because all of my gigs I give free and unlimited revisions. Its like why would you not get it revised until you are happy with it… 😕

Reply to @cal5086: That happens to me as well, I’ve gotten 4.5 stars, 4 stars. People who write “satisfactory experience.” Every buyer is a world unto itself.

I also think buyer psychology is very important. For example, if you tell a buyer “if there’s anything you don’t like, please ask for a revision,” you’re basically giving them ideas you don’t want them to get. You’re basically saying, "please find something wrong with this."

It’s better to say “let me know if you have any questions” when you deliver your order.

What I usually write is:

"Thanks for your order, I did this and that. If you’re happy, tips are welcomed.

(link)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

(my first name)"

Of course, I vary that message, and if I know the buyer’s first name, I will use it, “Hey Gary, here’s your order.”

Reply to @wordsmth: I can understand where this might be a tactic some buyers use and I can understand it due to the fact that some sellers are not offering good quality work. But when I wrote my comment, I had just had several of these (through different clients) in a row, and that is what made me suspicious. I’ve had none since so I don’t know what was going on. I always strive to do excellent work, and I would change several things in your sample, though there are times I change very little of a client’s writing and those situations have not been a problem. Good writers usually know the quality of their work and are mainly looking for my proofreading and a “second pair of eyes.”

Archived