What moment since the year 2000 do you think should be remembered in the history books for all time?

natalieab

9/11. The 2nd attack in the continental United States since the Brits burned down the White House during the war of 1812. Tragic day. 2,996 people died and we got the TSA to make our lives a living hell every time we fly. That’s also the day we exchanged freedom for “security” and went against everything our founding fathers stood for.

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @fastcopywriter: Me too. I was a child when “9/11” happend. That night, I watched TV and it was mentioned by news. Do you remember the famous photo “The Falling Man”? It make me to cry. “9/11” is a terrible historical event.

There’s just - SO MUCH that has happened, been discovered, but this has really become something in our daily lives. Invention and release of touch screen technology to become a daily household presence was just pie in the sky science fiction only a decade earlier. I hate to be superficial about it, but overshadowing all the incredible things we’ve not only discovered but also achieved in the sciences is the touch screen revolution of 07 with the iPod touch and iPhone. The world is not going back. It’s basically been a turning point of accessibility and interaction for the species, socioeconomic considerations withstanding.

Special mention over this period, whether you like them or not, to the election of non white President of the USA and the standing of Australia’s first female Prime Minister.

The 9/11 Bombings. I feel like that was a turning point for our country, the U.S.A and just an eye-opener for the world in general. We’re in dark times and even darker times as we speak. The sad part is that the bombings weren’t even the most catastrophic thing to happen in history or recent times, but definitely a point in time that needs to be remembered for many important reasons.

Reply to @ctillman:

That was the best and most restrained response I could think of. 🙂 I mean really? A sport celebrity retires? Of all the pain and suffering in the world and great achievements in 14 years, a sports entertainer retires.

It’s an answer comparable to … “What moment between 1935-1945 do you think should be remembered in the history books for all time?” "Well, the first thing that comes to mind - the boxer Joe Louis, he decided to join the Army."

I have nothing against Derek Jeter or Joe Louis. While retiring and joining the Army may have been exciting moments (for them and their fans) at the time - they are not even a blink on the radar of history - they were celebrities doing (what I feel) mundane events that many “normal” people experience in life on a regular basis.

So, yeah, that answer … It kind of made me want to pull me hair out. 🙂

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @typingservice: Well, I think people who jumped from the towers were so brave. You know, that was better than a slow death with fire and smoke everywhere. However, I hope we never have a terrible event like that. The peace is the best.

Guest smartgroupvn

Reply to @fastcopywriter: My mother said that she didn’t believe it. She is Buddhist. So she haven’t understand why people did that. It was terrible, so many people died and everything was destroyed. Although we are not American, we are still painful because we are human like them. That’s right?

Mine is more local… In 2011, 185 people were killed in the Christchurch earthquake in New Zealand. A day in history us kiwi’s will never forget. And to this day, earthquakes still rock this city :(… Almost a ghost town now.

en.wikipedia.org

260px-Cathedral_Square_2402.jpg

2011 Christchurch earthquake

An earthquake occurred in Christchurch on 22 February 2011 at 12:51 p.m. local time (23:51 21 February UTC) and registered 6.3 on the Richter scale. The earthquake struck the Canterbury Region in New Zealand's South Island and was centred 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) west of the port town of Lyttelton, and 10 kilometres (6 mi) south-east of the centre of Christchurch, at the time New Zealand's second-most populous city. The earthquake caused widespread damage across Christchurch, killing Christchurch's ...

Reply to @smartgroupvn: I kept thinking of your last sentence. Peace seems hard to come by. I Googled statistics on it. It was just a NYTimes article but they said in thousands of years of any known history (past 3400 years) - there have only been a couple hundred years of peace in the world (268 years). In recorded history, the world has only been at peace 8% of the time. It said in just the twentieth century, at least 108 million people were killed in wars. Of course, that only is taking into account actual war - and not all the crime and violence perpetuated all over on a daily basis. It’s a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived