Royal decrees or forum posts?

Am I the only one tired of checking out forum posts, only to find out the OP has thrown up a giant block of AI-generated gibberish that reads like some official proclamation from a king to his queen consort in Northumbria?

"Hark, ye noble kin of Fiverr's gathering, cherished brethren and esteemed sirs. Lend thine ears and fix thy gaze upon these words, for I shall summon the wisdom of the grand seer GPT to inscribe a lengthy tome, spanning fourteen leaves, addressing the riddle of "How to rank ones esteemed gig" for thine enlightenment and enjoyment."

I get it. You're after serious answers to serious (and not-so-serious) questions about life, like, "Will my ranking go down if I change my gig thumbnail?" or "How to mek sells on Fiber."

But come on, we don't need a wall of AI nonsense to answer your questions. If you have to use GPT, just ask it to proofread your question. Don't ask it to  write up a deep, heartfelt saga in the tone of Shakespeare.

And I'm saying this to help, because this is not how normal people communicate. It used to be, back in the Middle Ages. 

If I'm opening a forum post and end up having to read yet another wall of GPT drivel, I won't even bother sifting through it, certainly not respond to it. 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2
  • Up 5

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, dibakarbiswa141 said:
  • Forum posts often contain large blocks of AI-generated text resembling medieval proclamations.
  • Users seek answers to questions about Fiverr gig ranking or sales strategies.
  • Requesting GPT to proofread is fine, but avoid asking for elaborate Shakespearean-style responses.
  • Excessive AI-generated content is discouraging for readers and reduces engagement.
  • Simplify communication to enhance readability and engagement.

Nice job using GPT to summarize my post. 🎉 I'm too lazy to do that. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, smashradio said:

Nice job using GPT to summarize my post. 🎉

I nearly spat my coffee out when I saw that reply.  Surely a worthy contender of the Darwin awards for 2024 

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Just now, breals said:

I nearly spat my coffee out when I saw that reply.  Surely a worthy contender of the Darwin awards for 2024 

How dost thou dare to squander the precious brew of the bean, that elixir most hallowed and revered?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I'm disappointed. 

I thought this post was  going to have some hot head rolling action with added pitchforks. 

As for people who use GPT to "impress" people with their "intelligence" - if I wanted generic answers that didn't really answer my query and took forever to get to the point, I'd write it myself ask ChatGPT. Personally, I get more vexed when opening a promising-looking blog post, only to realize it's just top-notch fluff. I also get annoyed when watching videos and noticing that the script is GPT. 

As a side-note, GPT is incapable of proofreading without strict instructions. If you just tell it to proofread, it automatically turns your text into a fast-paced navigation through the realm of fluff. 

I have a love-hate relationship with this evil tool. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, emmaki said:

I'm disappointed. 

I thought this post was  going to have some hot head rolling action with added pitchforks. 

I'm trying to behave. 

I get more vexed when opening a promising-looking blog post, only to realize it's just top-notch fluff. 

In a world....

I also get annoyed when watching videos and noticing that the script is GPT. 

Even worse if they use an AI voice over. 

As a side-note, GPT is incapable of proofreading without strict instructions. If you just tell it to proofread, it automatically turns your text into a fast-paced navigation through the realm of fluff. 

Yeah, true. I still prefer the result over non-fluent usage of Grammarly though. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 4

What I'm also tired of is seeing all those posts about accounts getting flagged that were written by ChatGPT.

They all look almost the same. I can't tell the difference between one person posting it and another, and it actually looks like one person with 50,000+ accounts that all got flagged (for an excellent reason).

The same goes for any post asking for help and using ChatGPT.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, smashradio said:

"How to mek sells on Fiber."

Now, after two and a half years, I finally understand what that means.

3 hours ago, emmaki said:

I also get annoyed when watching videos and noticing that the script is GPT.

Try voicing those scripts! They're definitely an example of how to lose your audience in 30 seconds or less.

2 hours ago, smashradio said:

Even worse if they use an AI voice over. 

I'm still coming to terms with scratch videos we're supposed to follow when creating voice overs.

So, I'm at the point now where I can just look at the formatting overall and be able to tell how ChatGPT-y it is and then opt to skip reading it. I do that here, and everywhere else. It's thickening everywhere, decreasing the value of every online space, it seems.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, catwriter said:

They all look almost the same. I can't tell the difference between one person posting it and another, and it actually looks like one person with 50,000+ accounts that all got flagged (for an excellent reason).

I have to wonder what it's like for buyers who contact a selection of sellers who all send the exact same style of robotic responses. I don't understand why Fiverr is encouraging this. ChatGPT only superficially has "good communication". But it's like the old Grammarly/Google Translate problem - if you don't speak the target language very well, how are you going to know if what you're saying matches with what you want to say and/or if it's even good language? ChatGPT gets idiomatic language a lot better than GTranslate and is also really good at explaining to you why a phrase in another language is like it is (I use it a lot for that), but it really shouldn't be use as copypasta. 

9 hours ago, mandyzines said:

So, I'm at the point now where I can just look at the formatting overall and be able to tell how ChatGPT-y it is and then opt to skip reading it. I do that here, and everywhere else. It's thickening everywhere, decreasing the value of every online space, it seems.

Just wait for Sora to come out. You can have your fake video with your fake voices and your fake script. I saw a really weird video on TikTok of a teenager filming herself with her GPT "boyfriend". So GPT was "talking" to her and she'd "programmed" (her words, not mine) it to be her boyfriend. It said naff things and she was squealing in delight and looking generally like she was in the first flushes of love as GPT made up an awful poem on the spot and called her "dear" "darling" and "sweetheart". Needles to say, I cringed hard throughout the whole thing, transfixed by the dystopia in front of me. 

I'm starting to realize I'm going to be one of those cranky old people. But back on topic, if GPT is going to muscle in on love (and lets face it, it will - there's plenty of "dolls" that could be "enhanced" with a little GPT "programming") then what is left for humans? AI and automation are already destroying low-skill jobs (blue and white collar), it's only a matter of time before high skill jobs are targeted, and the personal sphere isn't looking rosy either. 

Why doesn't Fiverr seem to realize what a lot of others do: that it needs to be more prudent with how it allows sellers to use this technology on the marketplace? From my POV, it looks very much like Fiverr doesn't want to regulate it. Fiverr can't do much about clients leaving because AI is "better" for them, but its current strategy is driving a huge wedge between buyer and seller because there's no  trust anymore. Businesses don't want to pay people  to do what they can do themselves. That has always been true. The Fiverr marketplace is now full of people using AI without disclosure for everything and to make more money than they would be able to otherwise - and not for "complex AI services" either. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mandyzines said:

Now, after two and a half years, I finally understand what that means.

Ahaha! Yeah it took me a while too. (And I never wanted to ask because I sort of knew what it meant, without knowing it, and didn't want it to appear like I didn't 🤣

10 hours ago, mandyzines said:

I'm still coming to terms with scratch videos we're supposed to follow when creating voice overs.

Yeah. As a Norwegian, I get a lot of GPT-translated scripts. I try to help the client improve them, but I'm at the point where I'm not afraid to just read it as is if they prefer not to pay for that extra. I mean, if they really want their company to seem like they don't care at all about quality, who am I to argue?

25 minutes ago, emmaki said:

ChatGPT gets idiomatic language a lot better than GTranslate and is also really good at explaining to you why a phrase in another language is like it is (I use it a lot for that), but it really shouldn't be use as copypasta. 

I use it as well to help me understand the subtleties and reasons why something is phrased a certain way in another language. For example, my Spanish is limited to everyday conversation, and I'm definitely not fluent, so it's handy when I don't grasp something and GT isn't making sense.

But as you say, if you don't speak the language well already, you can't tell if what GPT comes up with is any good. And those using GPT as a crutch for everything are the same people who previously couldn't string two sentences together. Now they rely on GPT for everything and think they're unbeatable exparts.

32 minutes ago, emmaki said:

I'm starting to realize I'm going to be one of those cranky old people. 

We're getting old for sure. I read an article by a professor in Norway the other day, discussing how GPT is dumbing us down. It demonstrated that a 13-year-old today would choose AI-generated content over human-written (thinking it was better) when given the choice, because they thought it would make them look smarter. And the examples were atrocious. If I weren't such a bearded, manly man-dude, I might've cried. 

36 minutes ago, emmaki said:

Then what is left for humans?

Have you noticed what's happening in Japan? Young guys aren't interested in dating; they just want to play video games, and if they need some affection, they'll head to a "cuddle cafe". Meanwhile the women are ending up as "sheng nu" or "leftover women." How nice. You can even rent a family for a day there. Just think about what AI and robotics will do. 

• Like 3

It all seems to be going the wrong way, that's for sure. I wonder what those 13-year-olds will find to complain about the in the eternal disappointment with today's youth in 40-odd years. 

Edited by emmaki
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, emmaki said:

It all seems to be going the wrong way, that's for sure. I wonder what those 13-year-olds will find to complain about the in the eternal disappointment with today's youth in 40-odd years. 

They'll probably be grumbling about how the younger generation is using teleportation instead of walking, or using smart chips with 15G mounted directly to their skull. "Back in my day, we only had 5G and we liked it!"

• Like 3

Ah yes, biochip tech or whatever it's called. I remember when Sweden decided that was a fabulous idea, the webinar woman (has that happened yet?) works for a company that has installed lots of brain chips into people (about 30, IIRC) so they can walk again. And I think Elon's brain tech is in someone's head. I reckon that future's a lot closer than we think, along with hyperintelligent blue-eyed, blonde designer babies for the rich. 

Perhaps eye implants so you can do all that cool-looking AR stuff without having to wear massive headsets with virtual googly eyes so things look "more natural"? Mind you, I reckon that sort of tech would be really cool for history. And I wouldn't mind being able to immerse myself in exciting historical situations. Still though, it'll probably end up being cluttered with ads for GloboMegaCorp with paywalls to do anything other than talk to a pixellated avatar ChatGPT 1.3 (deprecated), speaking just quietly enough so you can't quite hear it. Never mind though, you have a choice of "Rainy English Field in January 1" and "Cyber Delight 10" as  free environments!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, emmaki said:

Ah yes, biochip tech or whatever it's called.

Yeah Elon implanted a chip in a guy and now he can control his computer with his mind. It's pretty cool stuff, TBH! I expect we'll see AR moving towards BR (Brain Reality) by the time we're ready to pack up our things. 

• Like 3