A client wants to get a revision of an order which was completed in September 2023

mobinur7

Question

I have a client who ordered a gig in September 2023. Now, he wants a revision of it. The design he has provided has some differences compared to the design I completed for the order at that time. Should I give him a revision for free via inbox? Or should I ask him to create a new order now?

Additionally, he wants to complete a task through conversation in the inbox and order when it is completed. Is this a good approach? Will it affect my gig rank?

4 answers to this question

Hi @mobinur7, I recommend creating a custom order in this case, that way you can offer the buyer a specific service they need without the impression that you're starting the process from scratch. Maybe offer a better 'deal' since they'd be a returning buyer in a way, but only if you think that the revision is justifiable.

However, this is just my opinion, you should do what feels best for you, hope it all goes well 🍀

• Like 2
  • Up 3

16 minutes ago, mobinur7 said:

Should I give him a revision for free via inbox?

No. Free revisions expire after the order closes.

16 minutes ago, mobinur7 said:

should I ask him to create a new order now?

Yes - absolutely!

17 minutes ago, mobinur7 said:

Additionally, he wants to complete a task through conversation in the inbox and order when it is completed. Is this a good approach?

No - it's a terrible approach. Doing orders in the inbox won't protect you or the buyer. The buyer has no obligation to pay you for work done in the inbox.

17 minutes ago, mobinur7 said:

Will it affect my gig rank?

Doing "free" orders in the inbox won't affect your gig rank - doing it as an order will (and it might help you get better visibility in search if the buyer is pleased with your work). It's best to do it as an order, and if the buyer doesn't agree, you can block or ignore the buyer. You don't have to do free work. You are a freelancer and should be paid for your time.

• Like 1
  • Up 3

19 minutes ago, mobinur7 said:

I have a client who ordered a gig in September 2023. Now, he wants a revision of it. The design he has provided has some differences compared to the design I completed for the order at that time. Should I give him a revision for free via inbox? Or should I ask him to create a new order now?

Yes, you should create a new custom order this time based on the number of changes he wants you to make. Explain to the buyer he had enough time and options to ask for revisions before the order is marked as completed    

26 minutes ago, mobinur7 said:

Additionally, he wants to complete a task through conversation in the inbox and order when it is completed. Is this a good approach? Will it affect my gig rank?

Not a good approach. It will not affect your gig. I do not recommend doing work in advance for this buyer. Make sure you create a list of tasks included while creating a custom offer  

• Like 1
  • Up 1

12 hours ago, mobinur7 said:

Whenever I get requests like these I send the buyer a custom offer. Why should I work for free, just because I worked for them before? (The exception would be if it's a small change within a couple of weeks of the original delivery and they didn't already spend the included revisions). I'd also require an order to do any type of work, always.

• Like 1
  • Up 1