Six Figure Salary the podcast - Episode 4: Fiverr's new star rating system

hellooooo fellow freelancers!

I hope this is okay to post - I've made it my mission this year to try and earn 6 figures through fiverr. I made $50k last year so it's a bit jump up. To keep myself accountable and to hopefully inspire others to try freelancing/fiverr, and to bust myths about freelancing (the main one being that you can't earn good money!), I've started a weekly podcast where I track my fiverr earnings and also share tips and tricks I've learned along the way. Episode two was all about nailing your voice demo (for voice actors) and this week (ep 4) I started talking about the changes to the five star rating system. 

Anywho each episode only goes for about 15 minutes. I hope some of you might find it interesting/insightful and I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback too! Especially if there's anything that new sellers would like to know/wish they knew when they started out.

-K

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

• imagination7413 changed the title to Six Figure Salary the podcast - Episode 4: Fiverr's new star rating system

FYI for anyone else interested in listening: Actual report starts at 1:03, the title topic starts at 2:44 ends at about 14:57

On 2/4/2024 at 5:23 AM, hikatereynolds said:

I hope this is okay to post

I think it's fine. Good content, though not for newcomers. Feels more like a report of your experience than a "Tip for Sellers", though you do have some good basics in there. (Charge what you are worth, don't be afraid to say 'no', be good at what you offer, etc.)

• Like 35

It was a good podcast. Maybe it could have talked more about the level drop risk now with the review and level changes since it mostly talked about the benefits and that the review changes were a good thing before talking about those risks/negatives, and the reduced options you have when you do drop levels (eg. less active gigs).

It said "I have had a few reviews that have given me four stars for value for money in the past but they've gone on to say like excellent work" but I think in the past (before the new review system) the "value for money" rating was part of the private rating not the public one. Though maybe they could have entered something about the value for money in the review text so you knew.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 28
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

It said "I have had a few reviews that have given me four stars for value for money in the past but they've gone on to say like excellent work" but I think in the past (before the new review system) the "value for money" rating was part of the private rating not the public one.

One more thing I'd like to add is that fewer buyers are "choosing" to leave a review now. I've had multiple buyers over the last week who ordered my services again without actually leaving a review behind. For me, this transition is definitely a wait-and-see experience since no one can accurately predict the fallout it'll have. 

• Like 23
  • Up 5

13 minutes ago, ssj1236 said:

One more thing I'd like to add is that fewer buyers are "choosing" to leave a review now. I've had multiple buyers over the last week who ordered my services again without actually leaving a review behind. For me, this transition is definitely a wait-and-see experience since no one can accurately predict the fallout it'll have. 

I'm getting like 40% orders reviewed now, before it was 90%~

• Like 26
  • Up 2

• 1 month later...

Kudos on your continued success! I listened to the first few minutes of the podcast just to check it out since this doesn't necessarily apply to me and it sounds like you're offering up some good insights. 

As a fellow voice actor who has cleared 6-figures net each of the last 2 years on Fiverr, one of my biggest tips for other voice actors looking to level up their VO business in general but especially here on this platform in particular is to pay close attention to the vocal style that nets you the most orders and front-load your demo with that. 

The tastes of Fiverr buyers do overlap somewhat with VO clients outside of the platform, but there is one huge difference I have found: outside of Fiverr most of the clients I've worked with have really been looking for great acting chops, with the vocal tone as a secondary concern. Here on Fiverr most of the buyers are big fans of a good voice, with acting chops as a secondary concern. That goes for small orders all the way up to big, national commercials. You still do need to be able to perform well, but the vocal tone seems to have a much bigger impact on attracting Fiverr buyers than non-Fiverr clients. Of course continue to improve on both since that's where the real money is.

If you offer several different performance styles and tones do a quick review of your orders over the last year and see what style or tone was most frequently requested. It might be your natural speaking voice, but it also may be a voice that you "put on." Once you identify that shuffle your demo around to present that particular style first and adjust your keywords to really highlight that type of performance. Doing this my own earnings went from $65k net in 2021 to over $100k net in 2022 and a further 23% increased net earnings again in 2023, while increasing my rates and completing far fewer projects overall (a great exchange in my mind). The only major change was reordering my demo to attract my most frequent buyer type. 

Best of luck to you. You have a very marketable voice and natural persona - 6-figures is easily doable for you 🙂

Edited by texvox
  • Like 14