Fiverr Promoted Gigs competition

bitwiseauto

Hi,

I was considering promoting my gig to see if it is worthwhile for me and noticed that it works based on number of clicks on the advertised gig up to a certain limit you are willing to pay. I started wondering, what is there to prevent your competition from clicking on your advertised gigs with no intention of ordering from you just to get you to reach your limit and effectively remove your gig's advertisement? Is there anything in place to protect promoted gigs from potential misuse by other sellers?

Thanks

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Just now, filipdevaere said:

There is no protection against this.
Even scammers click on your gig to contact you later in your inbox. You will pay for each click.

Thanks @filipdevaere, Happy new year.
The promoted gigs feature is not for me then, I understand it is useful for others though. Seems way too easy for the competition to play the system and sabotage the ad, especially given some of the tactics I've observed from some sellers on this forum who have no issues lying about their experience, skills, certifications and language.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, filipdevaere said:

Indeed. It's another source of income for Fiverr. As long as I have enough orders, I am not going to use it. 

What is good to keep To stay competitive same CPC or higher or lower. What is your suggestion?

• Like 19

Promoted gigs work for me. A few months before my gigs can be found on the search results easily. But after that, I could not locate my gig in that place. For the last 3 months, 70% of orders came from my old clients, 25% came from Promoted Gigs, and 5% from organic search. (Percentages as per average value) Simply you will pay less but you will get a lot. 

• Like 15

Hi @bitwiseauto,

I'm the Product Manager of Promoted Gigs at Fiverr's headquarters. 

Regarding your question:

On 1/2/2024 at 6:00 AM, bitwiseauto said:

I started wondering, what is there to prevent your competition from clicking on your advertised gigs with no intention of ordering from you just to get you to reach your limit and effectively remove your gig's advertisement? Is there anything in place to protect promoted gigs from potential misuse by other sellers?

We have several measures in place to protect sellers, in line with industry standards. For example, sellers are less likely to see ads from their direct competitors in the marketplace. In addition, our smart algorithm sets the bid on your behalf while taking into consideration how likely is the user to place an order. Furthermore, as mentioned in our Help Center article, if a potential buyer clicks on your ad multiple times, it will only be counted as one click, while there is a limit to the number of chargeable clicks a user can generate.

Regards,

Tom

• Like 12
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, tom_sabban said:

We have several measures in place to protect sellers, in line with industry standards. For example, sellers are less likely to see ads from their direct competitors in the marketplace

What if the seller who is trying to make their competitor pay for ads (and they have no intention of buying) uses a logged out browser? Then you might not know it's being done by their competitor. Fiver still shows promoted gig ads to users who aren't logged in.

Also couldn't the system exclude the click cost if it's from sellers who are direct competitors (eg. from a seller who has a gig in the same subcategory/leaf subcat) and also from those who spam soon after clicking on an ad?

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 11
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, tom_sabban said:

sellers are less likely to see ads from their direct competitors in the marketplace

Hello! I'm also interested in knowing how the algorithm determines who's a competitor and who isn't.

In addition to the possibility of other voice artists making me pay for clicks, I had to turn off promoted gigs in December because I paid for a lot of clicks, had nowhere near the amount of orders compared to several months prior, and suspected the interaction was mostly from sellers researching during the known slow time of the year for voice over work.

I don't think they would even need to log out or use a private browser, because when I do the same searches logged in I do see voice artists that I would consider myself to be in direct competition with. But, at the same time, in also considering my keyword stats over a couple of years now, it seems like the algorithm clumps me in with a lot of sellers I would not consider myself to be in direct competition with. 

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 14

I wanted to share some insights.
I have been promoting my gigs for half a year now, and I must say that the ROI is amazing.
I'm paying $0.10 per click, without a maximum and a average sale of $400 per 30 clicks

So to spend $3, to earn $400 (-25%) is a very good deal to me.

now this is a low competitive category, and I acknowledge that the GIG image takes clicks, while the GIG text drives conversions.
but knowing your metrics (and how your gig compares to others in the same category) should enable you to make a good decision.

• Like 14

On 1/10/2024 at 11:54 PM, tom_sabban said:

Hi @bitwiseauto,

I'm the Product Manager of Promoted Gigs at Fiverr's headquarters. 

Regarding your question:

We have several measures in place to protect sellers, in line with industry standards. For example, sellers are less likely to see ads from their direct competitors in the marketplace. In addition, our smart algorithm sets the bid on your behalf while taking into consideration how likely is the user to place an order. Furthermore, as mentioned in our Help Center article, if a potential buyer clicks on your ad multiple times, it will only be counted as one click, while there is a limit to the number of chargeable clicks a user can generate.

Regards,

Tom

Love this❤️

• Like 9