Historically Questionable Content

jenspeck

Question

I offer proofreading services for romance novels. I have a buyer who has submitted an order for her book that takes place during the Civil War.

It’s my own opinion that if a writer is going to include characters such as enslaved people, they need to approach those characters, storylines, dialogue, etc. with sensitivity and historical accuracy. As I get further into this book, that doesn’t seem to be the case here. 

Would I be out of line by canceling the order and recommending the author work with a content editor who specializes in historical fiction. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

5 answers to this question

7 hours ago, jenspeck said:

I offer proofreading services for romance novels. I have a buyer who has submitted an order for her book that takes place during the Civil War.

It’s my own opinion that if a writer is going to include characters such as enslaved people, they need to approach those characters, storylines, dialogue, etc. with sensitivity and historical accuracy. As I get further into this book, that doesn’t seem to be the case here. 

Would I be out of line by canceling the order and recommending the author work with a content editor who specializes in historical fiction. 

I don't know man, but @Lena can help you

• Like 8

7 hours ago, jenspeck said:

I don't proofread but I do write and I agree with you. It's hard for sure but for certain genres you need a certain amount of research AND mindset. 

What I - would - try to do first of all is have an honest chat with the writer. Do they seem aware of the issues? Maybe they just want a first pass of proofreading before handing it off to another editor (weird order for sure but you can never be sure of other people's workflow.)

Is there a way you can help them (but maybe change the gig or postpone it?) Depending on their communication and willingness, you will likely have options. 

If they brush it off, I probably would ask cancel and maybe even try talking to CS about getting the cancellation to not effect you (though I'm not entirely sure this reason would work with them, but technically I think it could.) 

• Like 15

On 10/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, jenspeck said:

Why cancel? Your job is for proofreading, so stick to it. Proofreading has nothing to do with the rest. Editing, fact-checking, etc., are all different things and involve different services.

You can always recommend your buyer to get in touch with a content editor who specializes in historical fiction, yes, but work on your order. There's no need to cancel.

• Like 10