Fiverr should dedicate at least three days a month to promote new sellers

Hello, I have a suggestions and I hope sellers can come together and demand from Fiverr to promote new sellers even for a day every month. If you gig is at the last page, your chances of getting an order are close to zero. Moreover, some new sellers are actually better at a certain service than higher level sellers. I think what I'm asking for isn't a radical change.. But it would make Fiverr a better platform for both sellers AND buyers. And give a chance to new sellers to get their first order, especially those who are actually good at what they do and better than higher level sellers, and have done everything and followed every advice to get their order (optimized description seo, good prices, etc.) and are actually committed. If some new sellers aren't good at what they do, that's on them. But comitted and skilled new sellers deserve a chance.

• Like 3
  • Up 1

Some new sellers are good at what they do. That's true. However, if you've ever been a buyer on Fiverr (I've bought close to 300 gigs, so I've seen it all), you'll come to realize that a very high percentage of new sellers on Fiverr are outright scammers. And I believe Fiverr knows this too. 

If a seller has zero orders, for example, Fiverr has no way of knowing whether that seller is actually good. So, should they really take the risk of promoting a scammer or someone who delivers subpar work? Why wouldn't they just keep promoting the buyers that have proven that they can make customers happy?

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 4
  • Up 5

3 hours ago, the_civil_panda said:

Moreover, some new sellers are actually better at a certain service than higher level sellers. I think what I'm asking for isn't a radical change.. But it would make Fiverr a better platform for both sellers AND buyers. And give a chance to new sellers to get their first order,

They do show some new sellers (unlevelled sellers) in the search results/category pages. Though not as much as the higher levels (relative to the total amount of that level of seller).

Fiverr talked about this in their Data Drive Meetup video 3 years ago (so what they were saying then might now be implemented in the current system. Though they'll probably be changing it currently with the new machine learning/AI algorithms, like with the TensorFlow ranking that they talked about in a video from 2 months ago).

This is from their slide at 39:06 in the video:

new-sellers-hardly-appear-on-listings.thumb.jpg.e85d9189292f5e3411a6f936e7799dd7.jpg

This is the video if you want to check it (the slides are in English and it's the section from about 37:59 that talks about Thompson Sampling and helping to get more new sellers into the marketplace:

But basically what they talk about in that video from 37:59 on is using Thompson Sampling to sample new gigs enough times to be able to see which gigs are best, in terms of click through rate, conversation rate, orders, and to increase the number of new sellers (with orders). So I think with Thompson Sampling it tries to be be more efficient in the number of samples it needs from each gig (ie. showing each gig the right number of times to be able to get enough data on CTR, conversation etc.).

You can see in the slide at 50:20 in the video that First Time Sellers went up by 26% when they used Thompson Sampling compared to the control.

Attached is an edited Whisper AI translation if needed.

From that translation:

It's a program that Fiverr is trying to lead to attract new sellers to the market base and to bring them their first orders..

and after the slide shown at the end:

...our goal was to push new sellers into the market..., and these results we actually saw after four weeks of tests.
So we managed to increase the CTR by over 10%, the conversion went up by 26%, orders in buyers went up by 40%, really very, very high numbers, sellers in First Time Sellers also went up by amazing percentages,
and all of this really by a very, very simple implementation of Thompson Sampling.

Fiverr Data Drive Meetup - Thompson Sampling section.txt

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vibronx said:

Some new sellers are good at what they do. That's true.

7 hours ago, vibronx said:

If a seller has zero orders, for example, Fiverr has no way of knowing whether that seller is actually good.

I'm really curious how the new Pro Seller program will work now that Fiverr decided to make this an invite-only program.

The Pro Seller program used to attract talented individuals who could apply for, and be vetted as Pro sellers, as soon as their seller accounts were set up. Now, I'm wondering how Fiverr will be able to find them, especially if these sellers publish their gigs with premium prices and may not have orders for a long time. These sellers may leave the platform before Fiverr ever extends the invite for them to apply as a Pro seller.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 7