Fiverr’s new AI Art Contest

Rebecca_Fiverr

What happens when top talent meets top tech? We’re putting it to the test in Fiverr’s new AI Art Contest, with the chance to win up to $1,500! (USD digital gift card)

Guided by human ingenuity, AI has the potential to transform ways of working like never before, opening up a whole new world of opportunity for businesses and human talent alike. This is particularly evident with the emerging field of AI Art.

That’s why we’re calling artists to show us what they can do with AI in a unique competition that simulates real-life business needs.

To enter, participants must choose between 3 briefs from hypothetical businesses that are integrating AI Art into their workflows. Then, create stunning AI Art that answers your chosen brief, and complete your application online by Sunday, August 27th.

Three (3) grand prize winners will receive a $1,500 USD digital gift card and three (3) runner-up winners will receive a $500 USD digital gift card. Additionally, all winners will get their AI Art Image(s) featured on Fiverr’s social media and email channels, and receive support from Fiverr to help them achieve success on the platform. 

Learn more and enter the contest at https://contests.fiverr.com/ai-art-2023.

We can’t wait to see what you can do!

NlxwCf3z58F-jMfHjbyJx8dnKpJYDLirClCGXlBCYn7DMRxlvQziAQgCB0w7kfYN14XsC8A6CY6edpd9YGe0Pjq_sD15c5rmYU3fScPDgE7E_Sb-R7eMTB7Lw_48o3mY5jzaiXucypyLSKg6ee85At0

Edited by Rebecca_Fiverr
  • Like 86
  • Thanks 5

The contest rules say "AI Art Image(s) of the winners will be featured on Fiverr’s social media and email channels". Does that include the Fiverr forum?

And if so, does that mean that the Fiverr forum rule 8 that disallows AI generated content might be amended? or will it only be allowed in certain forum sections?

• Like 46
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Guest pinned this topic

Thanks. Though is the Fiverr forum rule always going to say "8. Post original material that is not AI-generated....", even though Fiverr's community standards says "Fiverr embraces the use of new technology and allows content generated by users with the help of generative artificial intelligence (AI) tools and programs. " and Fiverr allows AI content on the main site and in the verticals it allows others to "share tips, techniques, and inspiration" and in My Fiverr Gigs allows them to show their gig images and examples but if no AI content is allowed on the forum won't that be biased against sellers in the Fiverr categories that offer AI generated content?

Also couldn't allowing AI content on the Fiverr forum (in certain conditions) be useful and helpful for sellers (and maybe Fiverr too)?

ie. could the Fiverr forum rule 8 be amended to allow AI content under certain conditions (where those conditions are shown in that rule section)?

I mean could rule 8 be amended In this rules section if possible?  https://community.fiverr.com/forum_rules/

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 35
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Rebecca_Fiverr said:

That’s why we’re calling artists to show us what they can do with AI in a unique competition that simulates real-life business needs.

That's really amazing news, but I wish the Fiverr could arrange the contests for all the categories being offered on that platform so that different sellers could have the opportunity to showcase their talent in their respective fields as well.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Trisha_Fiverr said:

The idea is to prevent the fully copied Chat GPT posts on the forum

Thanks. Also would Fiverr allow AI to be used to help with or do translation & transcription (eg. if Fiverr does a video talk and the whole talk is in a foreign language but it would be informative for Fiverr users if they could understand it (even if they only understand English), would it be okay to translate the audio for that to English text for forum users with the help of AI?).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 26
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 12:58 AM, farhan_editz said:

That's really amazing news, but I wish the Fiverr could arrange the contests for all the categories being offered on that platform so that different sellers could have the opportunity to showcase their talent in their respective fields as well.

I hope they do. I'm not sure, so don't take my word on this, but I believe they do this kind of contest to do quality screening. Makes sense to get to know what unknown sellers on the platform can do or see who is the dominant seller to which to send the best work to. I'm going to try even though I probably won't win, it will at least get my name around. I would suggest you do the same.

• Like 25
  • Up 2

On 8/14/2023 at 3:51 PM, uk1000 said:

could the Fiverr forum rule 8 be amended to allow AI content under certain conditions

Rule 8 does allow for said conditions.

"If you post information taken from the Fiverr site or other places, cite its source."

A simple "I put your post into ChatGPT and this is what it gave me" at the head of the post disclaims that it's not official, not the poster's own words, and cites where the content came from. 

• Like 24

7 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

A simple "I put your post into ChatGPT and this is what it gave me" at the head of the post disclaims that it's not official, not the poster's own words, and cites where the content came from. 

Thanks. I'll do that then if its with some type of AI, though it might be clearer for people if this:

Post original material that is not AI-generated. If you post information taken from the Fiverr site or other places, cite its source

was reworded a bit (since it could be read that AI content isn't allowed but other info from other sites is allowed if it's cited, so maybe some wording to say that AI content is allowed as long as it's cited would help forum users understand more).

Here's a suggestion from perpexity.ai (edited by me):

Original material is encouraged on the Fiverr forum. If you post information taken from the Fiverr site or other sources, it must be properly cited. This includes AI-generated content, which can be posted as long as you have the necessary rights to the content and cite the source.

or maybe:

Original material is encouraged on the Fiverr forum. If you post information taken from the Fiverr site or other sources, it must be properly cited. This includes AI-generated content, which can be posted as long as the source is cited.

[maybe with something about any quoting from other sources needs to be okay with copyright law, though they'd normally allow for quotes as long as it isn't too much]

In the above version I assume the source could be listed as the AI language model used (eg. GPT-3 or GPT-4 or other) or the site/app used if relevant (eg. perplexity.ai or chatgpt).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 23
  • Up 3

18 hours ago, uk1000 said:

was reworded a bit (since it could be read that AI content isn't allowed but other info from other sites is allowed if it's cited, so maybe some wording to say that AI content is allowed as long as it's cited would help forum users understand more).

Here's a suggestion from perpexity.ai (edited by me):

I'm also curious about this. I'm no artist, but I'm a web developer. AI generated content for images on my sites would benefit me and my client. This is because AI can produce high quality content in comparison to someone who is good at their area of expertise but doesn't have the knowledge or the budget to fulfill an order asking for my services. Would it be okay in the future to use AI generated content as long as we specify it to the client and is in his benefit? 

• Like 19

4 hours ago, appscripter said:

Would it be okay in the future to use AI generated content as long as we specify it to the client and is in his benefit? 

As far as I know, yes, if it's communicated to the client before delivery and they agree.

You can check this like: https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/ai-generated-content

I think that used to mention putting something about using AI in the gig description but that doesn't seem to be there now but if you are likely to use it in the gig then putting something in the gig description about it would probably be a good idea (but as long as the buyer knows).

There still seems to be a risk due to the current lawsuit(s) against the AI art companies (Stability AI, Midjourney etc) though. It would be hard to be sure that every image they created was free of copyright issues. You could do a google search for the images to reduce the risk though.

You could check with CS to ask that if it would definitely be okay, in your category if you wanted to be more sure. Another option is to create a seperate gig for the AI image generation, which was put in one of the AI art categories, so it was clearer.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 21

10 hours ago, uk1000 said:

You can check this like: https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/ai-generated-content

I think that used to mention putting something about using AI in the gig description but that doesn't seem to be there now but if you are likely to use it in the gig then putting something in the gig description about it would probably be a good idea (but as long as the buyer knows).

Great Advice, thank you so much, I will do so

• Like 19

I'm not a fan of the concept of an AI art contest. Since it's algorithms creating the art, not human, it's like Midjourney competing against itself. It's almost like organizing a cooking competition where people present McDonald's burgers they've ordered – essentially, a meaningless endeavor.

In the grand scheme, AI might spell trouble for platforms like Fiverr. As the demand leans towards personalized creations, excessive promotion of AI on Fiverr could drive clients to opt for AI-generated content without any human intermediary. It's crucial for the freelancing platform to emphasize authentic, non-AI writing, art, and voice overs.

Edited by gongor32
  • Like 23
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, gongor32 said:

Since it's algorithms creating the art, not human, it's like Midjourney competing against itself.

Though there's the prompts (positive and maybe negative), and the other parameters. Maybe some people might use in-painting or out-painting or other options that give it different style etc. In the competition guidelines it also says they can adjust it with photoshop (I assume they might allow other image editing software too but it doesn't say that). They might have to create lots of different generations with different parameters before it outputs the best one and might add different manual adjustments to it. They also need to follow the guidelines in the contest where they have to follow the exact brief based on one of the 3 designs in the brief (like integrating a specific item into the design in a specific way). So it's not totally like AI competing with itself.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 19

17 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Though there's the prompts (positive and maybe negative), and the other parameters. Maybe some people might use in-painting or out-painting or other options that give it different style etc. In the competition guidelines it also says they can adjust it with photoshop (I assume they might allow other image editing software too but it doesn't say that). They might have to create lots of different generations with different parameters before it outputs the best one and might add different manual adjustments to it. They also need to follow the guidelines in the contest where they have to follow the exact brief based on one of the 3 designs in the brief (like integrating a specific item into the design). So it's not totally like AI competing with itself.

I would like to think competition requires skill to win. Someone could spend many hours on this like you said or just some lucky people randomly generate cool looking picture at first click which midjourney is capable of. And it really doesn't show who really spent time and what was their intention. Plus there is moral, copyright problem on top of that. This competition would only show clients "Maybe we don't need fiverr anymore, maybe subscription to midjourney suffice?" kind of thing.  They should have been marketing human interaction, work with intention, experienced professionals instead of doing something like this. I don't able to understand how they don't understand AI is number one competition of fiverr right now. 

BTW I thought Fiverr bas going direction for business clients, having bigger projects, better professionals etc... opposite of old 5$ gigs. These AI thing just cheapens the platform further more.

Edited by gongor32
  • Like 22
  • Up 2

I see it more like a TAS (tool-assisted speedrun). Fun to watch, interesting to see conceptualization of what is possible given in-game limitations, amusing in how completely broken a run can be, and while there are human minds behind the creation of a TAS, the run itself is not human, and thus a separate category. 

I have no problem with showcases, or even competitions, but an AI contest should be judged by what the human contributes, the steps the human took, the human skill, and that requires documentation.

Edit: another point of similarity, speedrunners don't own the game, they just licence the software. That runners can (with varying levels of permission, from full support to complete shutdowns) stream runs and letsplays is rather interesting, considering the legalities, and that game companies would be fully within their legal rights to DMCA all game content.

Edited by imagination7413
  • Like 18
  • Up 1

16 minutes ago, gongor32 said:

They should have been marketing human interaction, work with intention, experienced professionals instead of doing something like this. I don't able to understand how they don't understand AI is number one competition of fiverr right now.

Well they added the human editing of AI generated content category. They're doing it (the AI stuff on Fiverr) because the searches for ai related services on Fiverr increased by a lot. Also if there's so much demand for it on Fiverr and and it's the future of work in general then they can't totally ignore it either.

But there are copyright risks right now. Ideally (before the lawsuits against those companies are sorted) they'd teach how to use these tools while also making sure that everything is okay copyright-wise. eg. can software x be okay to use if their data set used to train it included copyright material (that they used without the permission of the owners)? If not, they could show how it can be used with only data sources that are okay copyright-wise.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 18

On 8/15/2023 at 12:58 PM, farhan_editz said:

you are right

• Like 18