Opening an old order and saying it was not finished.

kendal1747

Question

Has anyone had a buyer open a 2 month old order and say that everything was not completed? I finished the order and it was marked completed by Fiverr after 3 days. The buyer gave me a 5 star review. I actually completed more than I agreed to, but I finished it and delivered. I was sick at the time and told her I could not do anymore. I blocked her because she was sending me work that she wanted done for free. There was no official order. She just said that she wanted me to do this work. Customer support contacted me this morning and asked if I wanted to cancel the 2 month old order. I told them no. I had completed the work and completed more than I had agreed to. I asked why this is happening? Can buyers now come back on sellers even if the order has been marked completed by Fiverr and the buyer gave a 5 star review? She never said anything about the order not being completed 2 months ago. I completed everything that she gave me and more. 

• Like 18
  • Confused 3

12 answers to this question

On 6/30/2023 at 4:15 AM, kendal1747 said:

Can buyers now come back on sellers even if the order has been marked completed by Fiverr and the buyer gave a 5 star review?

I think @donnovan86 mentioned buyers coming back to cancel orders that were completed even a year ago. I don't think there's a time limit to when a buyer can cancel an order. Hopefully, you can dispute this successfully! It looks like you have all the proof that you need to show that you completed everything that was required for the order  (and the buyer was satisfied).

• Like 15
  • Up 4

I think I once had someone come and ask for a revision about a year after an order was complete. And more recently someone did a few weeks or maybe a month after. I think CS has sometimes asked people who have unlimited revisions offered on their gig to still revise even after an order was set to complete. So if someone hadn't used all their (eg. 5) revisions I may do a revision after its complete (but it's rare they ask) and the only way to send that is through the Fiverr inbox. Though Fiverr doesn't say anything in the policy/TOS about needing to work after the order completion as far as I know. So if they kept asking for free work after it was complete and you blocked them (which the system allows), there shouldn't be any problem I think. Especially if you've explained to CS what you told us (that you did all the work and it's complete etc).

Also I thought the normal limit for them getting refunds through CS was about 14 days after completion but I may be wrong.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 15
  • Up 3

42 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Hopefully, you can dispute this successfully! It looks like you have all the proof that you need to show that you completed everything that was required for the order  (and the buyer was satisfied).

Thanks Vickie. 

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

So if someone hadn't used all their (eg. 5) revisions I may do a revision after its complete (but it's rare they ask) and the only way to send that is through the Fiverr inbox.

I only allow 1 revision. People that offer unlimited are asking for trouble. I have gone back for a good buyer and done more than 1 revision. Thanks, uk1000.

• Like 17

On 7/1/2023 at 12:11 PM, uk1000 said:

So if they kept asking for free work after it was complete and you blocked them (which the system allows), there shouldn't be any problem I think. Especially if you've explained to CS what you told us (that you did all the work and it's complete etc).

Also I thought the normal limit for them getting refunds through CS was about 14 days after completion but I may be wrong.

She (the buyer) was asking for free work. It had nothing to do with the order that I had just completed. There was more work attached to the order than I agreed to, but I did it anyway.  If the buyers can come back and demand that we redo a job that is complete and had a 5 star rating, then I think I do not want to keep doing this. This is similar to a situation a friend told me about in her department at Home Depot. I was in Merchandising there while in college. She told me that people would buy a bucket of paint that was specially mixed. Then a couple days later they would bring it back and half of it was gone, said they didn't like the color. I don't think anyone can do that anymore, but what a waste! To ever allow this is beyond my comprehension. 

• Like 12

I am experiencing the same issue with a Buyer. I am a level 2 seller with over fifty 5-star reviews and this buyer is abusing the system to get free work. I allow for two revisions and he has rejected up to 6 already. Upon further research of the company that he represents, we found multiple negative reviews on Google and other platforms from freelancers that he has never paid them after the work is completed. If Buyers know that Fiverr will not payout unless the deliverable is accepted and can claim a refund, than some of them will abuse the system and freelancers will lose out on the pay for their hours invested in the project. This is especially hard on those that provide services that are not tangible items (example Google ads management, conversion tracking, Analytic reports, web audits, web design, etc). What safety measures are in place so that Sellers are not ripped off from shady and deceptive buyers? it seems that there is none. Very disappointed in the experience this has caused. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

@kendal1747, @williecampos78

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this situation but really it is not too big of a deal in my opinion. I will leave some notes that can maybe help you deal with this type of situations or even prevent them happen in the future!

You don't have to block a client or avoid their request if they need more help after their order was complete or after the delivery you have sent. 

When they request a revision, make it clear what their order included, state the number of free revisions they had available for the price they paid (if any), and let them know you can not afford to do additional work for free. Explain to them all that and create and send a custom offer for the additional work! 

Make sure you describe what additional service you are offering, explain the price and the time you will need.

If they agree, then that's perfect, you get one more order and earn more. But if they are not willing to pay for the additional work, you do not have to do it for free. Re-send the last delivery, and explain why the delivery contains the same materials as the last one just to have everything in the record. The chances are they will either mark the order as complete or won't bother you anymore trying to get free work done, and in the end order gets completed automatically!

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

I think you are misunderstanding what this buyer is doing. The buyer is not requesting any additional work, but is just not accepting the order by requesting a revision with no notes on what revisions he wants. The gig was to create a product feed for their ecommerce business and create Google ads campaign with a 4x ROAS for performance. All order details were met as well as their expected ROAS goal. The buyer refuses to close out the order and has requested a cancellation after the order was fulfilled and complete. We have done some research on the business and they have numerous Google reviews on them not paying freelancers. I spoke to another freelancer on Fiverr and they experienced the same issue with this buyer. Fiverr support has done nothing to support Sellers with buyers who are using the platform to get free work. 

image 4.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

Hey williecampos78

I see. Based on what you shared, it appears that your situation is way more challenging. I haven't had any experience working with that type of client before. 

For me, in cases where clients exceed revision requests included in their order, I respond by submitting my own request outlining the additional work involved, along with a corresponding fee. This approach helps them understand that it takes time to work on each revision requested and I am not willing to do that work for free. So they either accept the fee or proceed with the original delivery.

The client you are dealing with obviously seems to do that a lot, and communication won't help resolve the situation. 

Did you contact Support regarding this? Were they able to help?

• Like 9

On 7/7/2023 at 9:26 PM, dardanng said:

Yes, I contacted customer support, and they were no help. After numerous revision requests, the client was able to successfully cancel the order, therefore getting a refund on a $575 order. 

Fiverr customer support has to do a better job protecting Sellers from buyers who are dishonest and abuse the system.  Customer support does nothing even after providing proof that the buyer requested revisions just to cancel after the services have been completed and that they use multiple profiles (usernames) and have done the same to other freelancers. I am very disappointed in the support given, even to a seller that has over 130 orders with not one single issue.

Buyers abuse the system for free work, and the Seller is the one that loses time and money.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:26 PM, dardanng said:

Hey williecampos78

I see. Based on what you shared, it appears that your situation is way more challenging. I haven't had any experience working with that type of client before. 

For me, in cases where clients exceed revision requests included in their order, I respond by submitting my own request outlining the additional work involved, along with a corresponding fee. This approach helps them understand that it takes time to work on each revision requested and I am not willing to do that work for free. So they either accept the fee or proceed with the original delivery.

The client you are dealing with obviously seems to do that a lot, and communication won't help resolve the situation. 

Did you contact Support regarding this? Were they able to help?

• Like 9

On 7/5/2023 at 10:54 PM, dardanng said:

When they request a revision, make it clear what their order included, state the number of free revisions they had available for the price they paid (if any), and let them know you can not afford to do additional work for free. Explain to them all that and create and send a custom offer for the additional work! 

The order I completed is over 2 months old. They never requested any revision or anything until now. I believe the reason they are asking CS to cancel their order is because I would not do free work for them. I was sent work that they wanted completed with no payment in place. I blocked them and they are trying to figure out a way to get me back.

• Like 8