Did I handle this properly?

davefritz

Hi everyone. I am a fairly new seller here and I had a buyer looking into my gig. While I desperately want to get that first sale under my belt, I don't want to under-sell myself either. This is part of the conversation I had with the prospective buyer. Did I handle it the right way? Or should I have bent and significantly dropped my price? 

Screenshot_20230616_140352_Fiverr.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, davefritz said:

Did I handle it the right way? Or should I have bent and significantly dropped my price? 

Go with your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, it's fine to pass on a prospect. One of the most difficult things I've had to learn with freelancing is how to say "no" when the situation is not right for me. You'll be approached by numerous people who want you to cut your price. I've found that it's just easier to pass. If they later accepted my higher price, it would give them a point to complain about if they didn't like the product, and that could be a pain.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danno1950 said:

Go with your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, it's fine to pass on a prospect. One of the most difficult things I've had to learn with freelancing is how to say "no" when the situation is not right for me. You'll be approached by numerous people who want you to cut your price. I've found that it's just easier to pass. If they later accepted my higher price, it would give them a point to complain about if they didn't like the product, and that could be a pain.

Great points. I want my customers to feel good from beginning to end of the project. If we start off on shaky ground, it is probably not a good fit to begin with. Thank you

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrygrantvo said:

I would have left out the last message (you'd already made your point, prior), but aside from that you handled it perfectly.

Stick to your guns. You never want to work with anyone who doesn't want to pay your price.

Good point. It was kind of an afterthought that he should know sellers can be flexible, but I probably could have left it out and just left it at that. Thanks Terry

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't leave the offer open. His attitude is a red flag, you don't want to work with someone who decided to go with the cheap option first, and then comes to you. That's a risk. They will go into the order thinking you're too expensive, so they'll be extra nitpicky. It would be enough to be good, you must be "much better" than the cheap option, and depending on the work, some things are what they are. Certain videos will be the same no matter if you pay $100 or $1000, they are what they are. But some sellers charge more per hour than others, because their time is more valuable, so a price sensitive seller is bad news for higher priced sellers. Better to turn them away.

As for the "there's people selling for cheaper..."

"I never discuss what other sellers charge, they know better than me what their service is worth".

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

I wouldn't leave the offer open. His attitude is a red flag, you don't want to work with someone who decided to go with the cheap option first, and then comes to you. That's a risk. They will go into the order thinking you're too expensive, so they'll be extra nitpicky. It would be enough to be good, you must be "much better" than the cheap option, and depending on the work, some things are what they are. Certain videos will be the same no matter if you pay $100 or $1000, they are what they are. But some sellers charge more per hour than others, because their time is more valuable, so a price sensitive seller is bad news for higher priced sellers. Better to turn them away.

As for the "there's people selling for cheaper..."

"I never discuss what other sellers charge, they know better than me what their service is worth".

Well said. After reading your response I withdrew the offer. I believe in delivering quality performances instead of cheap high volume work. I look forward to meeting clients that understand that. Thank you

• Like 7
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

4 hours ago, davefritz said:

Did I handle it the right way? Or should I have bent and significantly dropped my price?

I believe you have handled the situation exceptionally well, and ultimately, it is the buyer's decision whether to choose us or not.

Recently, a buyer contacted me inquiring about a complete branding tool kit and proposed an extremely low price. It was disheartening to receive such an offer. However, the buyer later approached me again, expressing dissatisfaction with the work done by another designer. I responded politely, providing my price, and the buyer agreed to pay me the full amount.

Ps. Always trust your instincts and do not undervalue your work. By doing this, you may get less number of buyers but probably the good ones.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, maheennadeem814 said:

I believe you have handled the situation exceptionally well, and ultimately, it is the buyer's decision whether to choose us or not.

Recently, a buyer contacted me inquiring about a complete branding tool kit and proposed an extremely low price. It was disheartening to receive such an offer. However, the buyer later approached me again, expressing dissatisfaction with the work done by another designer. I responded politely, providing my price, and the buyer agreed to pay me the full amount.

Ps. Always trust your instincts and do not undervalue your work. By doing this, you may get less number of buyers but probably the good ones.

Thank you Maheen, it was very tempting to drop my price just to get the sale, but I know what my work is worth. I feel there are a lot of sellers in here that are also pricing lower than they should just to get the business and kind of ruining it for the ones that are trying to deliver quality at the right price. 

I am glad to hear you got the deal and it worked out for you. Sounds like the buyer found out they get what they pay for.

Thanks again for the warm words. 

• Like 8
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a situation that I don't often find myself in (Maybe I am too cheap already!) - however it does happen occasionally.

When I potential buyer asks me for a discount I politely reply with something like this;

'My fees are published on my gig, they are transparent, fair, well structured and the same for everyone - I don't differentiate between my first time customers or my long term ones - the prices are fixed regardless.   To offer a discount to one client would be inherently unfair to all of my other clients and that would not be acceptable.   As such I thank you for your interest in my gig and my services but I will unfortunately have to decline to proceed any further.'

So - I explain the 'why' (and really I am sincere in the 'fairness' aspect) and I ensure that they are now under no illusion that I am unwilling to work with them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1