saimii

Question

Hello Everyone, 
Sometimes it isn't easy to finalize the Work scope in the Web development Category. I have had some bad experiences in Freelancing, but for the last few months, I have received several orders Where Buyers will come up with Simple design requirements. Then they will provide you with some complex website as a reference, and after you quote according to that price then, they will be like:
No, Let's go with a simple and similar design. 
When It's Ready, they will keep revising it for two months, and at the end. They would want that complex website design. Sometimes Order will be automatically completed but still, we have to work a completely new project in the revisions. 

Mostly these type of buyers are outsourcers working as a web design agency where they would have 3-6 months to complete that project.

These type of projects doesn't go in favor of gig ranking. 
Not sure how to avoid this?

• Like 11
  • Sad 3
  • Congrats! 1

8 answers to this question

If you want to avoid this.., then you should look for a higher-rate buyer.

Don't spend your talent on a $5 job. 

Higher Buyer Rate --- Fewer Revisions --- High Chance of Repeat Order --- Fewer Problem.

Lower Project Rate --- More Revisions --- Less Chance of Repeat Order --- More Drama like Korean Drama Series.

• Like 7
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, ridwansugi said:

Higher Buyer Rate --- Fewer Revisions --- High Chance of Repeat Order --- Fewer Problem.

Lower Project Rate --- More Revisions --- Less Chance of Repeat Order --- More Drama like Korean Drama Series.

He don't have $5 gigs! He has price range from $30 to $380 ...

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 22.07.12 PM.png

• Like 7
  • Up 1

2 hours ago, saimii said:

Hello Everyone, 
Sometimes it isn't easy to finalize the Work scope in the Web development Category. I have had some bad experiences in Freelancing, but for the last few months, I have received several orders Where Buyers will come up with Simple design requirements. Then they will provide you with some complex website as a reference, and after you quote according to that price then, they will be like:
No, Let's go with a simple and similar design. 
When It's Ready, they will keep revising it for two months, and at the end. They would want that complex website design. Sometimes Order will be automatically completed but still, we have to work a completely new project in the revisions. 

Mostly these type of buyers are outsourcers working as a web design agency where they would have 3-6 months to complete that project.

These type of projects doesn't go in favor of gig ranking. 
Not sure how to avoid this?

Maybe 🤔 you could offer fewer revisions .... but this could lead your client to be dissatisfied with the work and therefore leave negative feedback ...

Anyway, if your future clients will accepts the delivery extensions, you are good to go since your performance will not be affected, but yes... this will lead your orders being delivered after months... months... months.... 

• Like 9
  • Up 1

If you've delivered according to their requirements, then they are abusing the revision button, which violates ToS. I like @smashradio's advice on the subject:

The only reason why buyers ask for revisions is that you are allowing them to. I get a lot of buyers that balk at the higher price and they choose the cheaper option (but still want the premium option). At that point, I kindly remind them that I've met all the requirements of the order and that, as mentioned before, the price for the more complex order is $XXX amount, and I would be more than happy to send them a gig extra for that amount. At that point, the buyer usually reverts to the current order and says they are satisfied with the delivery. I haven't had issues when I follow this process.

I do have issues when I give in to the buyer's requests and start delivering more than what was agreed for that order. That's only asking for trouble. The more you give, the more they'll take. So it's important to stand firm on what you will or won't do, and to be super clear on that throughout the delivery process. Whenever the buyer mentions something outside of scope, that's an opportunity to correct them. Let them know if they say something that you don't agree with (don't let anything slip by).

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 8
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, vickieito said:

If you've delivered according to their requirements, then they are abusing the revision button, which violates ToS. I like @smashradio's advice on the subject:

The only reason why buyers ask for revisions is that you are allowing them to. I get a lot of buyers that balk at the higher price and they choose the cheaper option (but still want the premium option). At that point, I kindly remind them that I've met all the requirements of the order and that, as mentioned before, the price for the more complex order is $XXX amount, and I would be more than happy to send them a gig extra for that amount. At that point, the buyer usually reverts to the current order and says they are satisfied with the delivery. I haven't had issues when I follow this process.

I do have issues when I give in to the buyer's requests and start delivering more than what was agreed for that order. That's only asking for trouble. The more you give, the more they'll take. So it's important to stand firm on what you will or won't do, and to be super clear on that throughout the delivery process. Whenever the buyer mentions something outside of scope, that's an opportunity to correct them. Let them know if they say something that you don't agree with (don't let anything slip by).

Thank you for your detailed response. We should stay firm and Say 'NO' if they exceed the work scope.

• Like 8
  • Up 1

10 hours ago, venonusa said:

Maybe 🤔 you could offer fewer revisions .... but this could lead your client to be dissatisfied with the work and therefore leave negative feedback ...

Anyway, if your future clients will accepts the delivery extensions, you are good to go since your performance will not be affected, but yes... this will lead your orders being delivered after months... months... months.... 

Thank you. But you know, if we Convert 10 days job to months, even with extensions, then it is not in favor of business. 
May be the best option is to analyze the buyer through earlier communications. 
But Those running Agencies and communicating with Buyers and Sellers can't be judged easily. 

Also they keep their budget in the mid level so you can't simply refuse their order. 

• Like 7
  • Up 1

11 hours ago, ridwansugi said:

Thank you! But actually, I am referring to clients who order around $500-1000 though web development is Vast and sometimes It can actual cost 2000+ what they order for 500-1000. 

• Like 7
  • Up 1

35 minutes ago, saimii said:

May be the best option is to analyze the buyer through earlier communications. 

It is one of my first "skimmings" that I do to understand who the customer is, then I check his activity (with the Seller Pro tool) so as to understand what client has done in his previous orders...

anyway, follow what @vickieito said, it is great plan and for sure it will work also for your business.

8 hours ago, vickieito said:

• Like 6
  • Up 1