Navigating Fiverr Levels

smashradio

A frequently asked question on the forum is how to become a Top Rated Seller. Another is why am I hitting a slump after being promoted – shouldn’t that lead to more orders, not less? And, of course, the ever-popular “how to rank my gig”?

So I thought I would combine them with a few explanations of the different Fiverr levels, how they work, and how you can rise the ranks. 

I won’t focus much on the technical aspects of seller levels since they’re already covered here. Instead, I’ll look into what you should be focusing on when hitting the different levels and when you’re getting started.

Remember, this is based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.  

Most of the subjects I’m covering here have been covered extensively in other forum posts. Search the forum and read all you can, but only take advice from seasoned sellers with a proven track record and success on Fiverr. 

Let’s get going. 

First, a glossary: 

• Buyer satisfaction rate: A measure of how well you’re performing on Fiverr based on your performance. It’s calculated based on several factors, with private feedback given by your buyers being one of the most important ones. Others include public ratings, response rate, order completion rate, and on-time delivery. A higher satisfaction rate = more business coming your way and is even required to reach the Top Rated Seller level.
  • Private feedback: Buyers can leave a public rating and private feedback for each order they complete on Fiverr. The public rating is visible to everyone, while the private feedback is only seen by Fiverr’s team. Getting negative feedback is one of the most common reasons sellers end up in a slump. 

New Seller/Unleveled Seller

Fresh meat for the grinder, eh? Welcome! As a brand-new seller, you have a few advantages. Your profile is like a blank canvas. If you want Fiverr to give you a place in the spotlight (i.e., search results), you need to do things right the first time. 

New Sellers can often experience a “boost” from Fiverr. Fiverr wants new sellers to succeed so that they’ll stay on the platform and earn. Use that initial boost to your advantage and craft your gigs like works of art. 

Learn as much as possible about how Fiverr works before you publish your gigs. That way, you gain as much momentum as possible through the gates.

Here are some of the things you should focus on as a new seller: 

• Learn how Fiverr works. Make sure you read and understand the terms and community guidelines.
  • Know your skills and limitations. Before you get started, ensure you have the skills to impress your buyers from the get-go. 
  • Make a business plan. Aim to offer something unique, and don’t just copy what everyone else is doing. You should also plan for dealings with difficult buyers, strategies to land sales, how you want to handle revisions, and so on. A man with a plan is a man that can. 
  • Research your competition. Learn what they’re doing and why it works for them. Use it as inspiration. Again, you need to offer something unique.
  • Build your profile. Add relevant skills, certifications, a professional profile picture, a tagline, etc. Profile completeness will help you appear more professional. 
  • Be honest! I can’t stress this enough. Far too many new (and even seasoned sellers) are downright lying on their profiles, claiming to be fluent English speakers, being experts despite not knowing more than the basics, or claiming to have experience, diplomas, and education that they don’t. It doesn’t work. People will see right through you. Do. Not. Lie. 
  • Make your gig. Write an excellent gig description and title. Ensure it doesn’t contain typos and proofread it “to death” before saving it. Your gig title needs to be professional and engaging. The same goes for your gig thumbnails. Bonus tip: gig videos, if professionally made, can increase your chances of success.
  • Consider your pricing. As a new seller, you most likely want to be more affordable than the top sellers in your niche but not so cheap that you come across as unprofessional. Fiverr prefers higher-priced gigs.
  • Be prepared for failure. This is the hard truth. Not everyone can win at the business game; even winners can fail multiple times before they make it. 

Being a New Seller is a lot like a first date. First impressions matter, so make it count. 

Level One Seller

Congratulations! You made it to second base. Expectations rise, and so should your pricing and service quality. Buyers will expect more bang for their buck. 

Many sellers experience a slump in their orders at this point. I have a theory about why this happens. Remember, it’s a theory. 

I believe Fiverr pools sellers by level to create a nice blend of new and more experienced sellers at different price points. Fiverr then serves this “blend” up based on various factors when a buyer searches for a service. These include: 

• Buyer satisfaction rate
  • Reviews
  • Relevancy
  • Buyer purchase history (most likely)

My theory goes like this: Whenever you’re promoted, you’re not competing as much with sellers of other levels as on your level. You might find yourself beaten by the new and more experienced competition. People expect more from level 1 sellers, and Fiverr knows it. 

You should be focusing on: 

• Enhancing your gigs. As expectations grow and the competition tightens, you need to stand out from the crowd. Keep learning and improving. 
  • Up-sell! Consider all the requests you’ve received thus far from buyers, and use the ideas to include new gig extras. Use your competition for inspiration, and look for ways to maximize your revenue. 
  • Becoming an expert communicator. If English is not your first language, work on that. If customer support is your weak side, work on that. Great communication is key because it will help you deal with difficult buyers, land more sales, and to avoid misunderstandings. 
  • Managing your time. More orders may start coming in, and you’ll need to be prepared. Make sure you can deal with the added pressure. 
  • Stay on your toes. By this point, you hopefully have some regular buyers returning for more. It’s easy to get too comfortable with regulars you’ve been working with for a while. Don’t. Stay on your toes, and keep up the excellent work. Those regular buyers are the ones who will get you through future order slumps and dropping stats if/when they occur. 
  • Consider making more gigs. If you have more than one skill or service to offer (and make sure it’s something you’re good at!), now is the time to consider making another gig. It can increase your visibility and revenue. 
  • Consider your pricing (again). As your skills develop and you start getting more and more regular buyers, it’s time to consider increasing your prices. Just ensure you do it gradually and that the value of what you can deliver increases proportionately. A few regulars might leave you now. That’s ok. New buyers with higher budgets will come along if you do things right. 
  • Never stop learning. As you grow your profile, never stop learning! Stay on top of changes happening on Fiverr, terms, conditions, and trends.

Level Two Seller

You've got orders under your belt. Don’t let it go to your head. Remember the first date? This might feel like you’re right back at that table.

New buyers are expecting more from you now, and your competition is fierce. As with the promotion from New Seller to Level 1, you might see a temporary sales slump. Consider it a rite of passage.

If you stick with it and work with your regular buyers, new ones should be along any minute. You’re swimming with the sharks now. Level 2 sellers can be some of the best sellers on Fiverr, and you need to be one of them to succeed. If you stop swimming, you die, just like the shark.

You should be focusing on: 

• Refining your unique selling proposition. Stand out with highly visible, optimized, and engaging gigs. 
  • Time to go premium! Start introducing premium packages and gig pricing that cater to buyers with higher budgets. Provide more value and make sure you can justify the higher price. Some sellers choose to stick with a volume strategy, and that’s fine, but if your goal is to work less and earn more, you want to work with the bigger fish. 
  • Learn new skills. I make it a point to learn something new every day, with the goal of becoming good at something every year. This year, I’m working on becoming a better video editor. Perhaps I’ll never make a gig for it, but as a voice-over talent and journalist, which can be useful in my line of work. Apply that principle by considering new ways to earn and never stop learning. New skills can be a gold mine in the future. 
  • Read the below list as well – it's relevant right off the bat when you become a level 2 seller. 

Top Rated Seller (so close, but yet so far)

You've worked your butt off to get here. You just got nominated for Top Rated Seller status! But here's the hard truth: nothing is guaranteed. This is a manual selection process. Fiverr has a secret recipe, and only the cream of the crop makes the cut. Most sellers will never be awarded this level.  

Here’s what you need to focus on as a level 2 seller nominated for Top Rated Seller: 

• Be a star! You need to deliver more than high-quality work and exceptional service consistently—under-promise and over-deliver to exceed expectations. Fiverr wants TRS sellers to go above and beyond. If you want to stand a chance, you have to improve. It’s not enough to stay in one place. 
  • Work on your portfolio. You want it to reflect the best you can do. If the best you can do isn’t better than most, you’ll likely stay on level 2. 
  • Manage expectations. Now, more than ever, it’s essential to manage expectations. Be precise, read everything twice before sending it to a buyer/potential buyer, and make sure the buyer feels confident in you. Be clear about what you will and won’t do, and make sure your gig description, FAQ, and custom offers reflect that. Misunderstandings can ruin your momentum. Don’t drop the ball on this one. If you do, you risk lowering your buyer satisfaction rate instead of increasing it. 
  • Increase your rates. Now is the time to increase your rates if you can. Look closely at the best sellers in your category, and make sure you’re not getting paid cents on the dollar compared to them. Top Rated Sellers aren't just selected based on their buyer satisfaction rate and quality but also on their ability to earn money for Fiverr. We do that by making more ourselves. 
  • Be a true professional. The communication skills you (hopefully) learned while climbing the levels should have been put to good use long ago. Prove your ability to handle disputes, feedback, and demanding buyers. Getting angry or not displaying a tactful sense of business skills at all times can cost you any chance of being promoted. 
  • Learn to meditate. This can take time, and you might never make it. Be prepared to stay on level 2. You’re doing just fine. Don’t focus too much on the levels, and instead, on improving your skills while increasing your revenue. 

Top Rated Seller

This is gonna be a short list. 

• All of the above. On steroids. 

I hope this gave you a better understanding of how to navigate the levels on Fiverr. Again, this is based on my experience and nothing else. 

If you made it to the end of my far-too-long post, I'm proud of you. I'm gonna leave you with some words of wisdom from Shia LaBeouf: 

motivational just do it GIF

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 105
  • Up 11
  • Thanks 3

Great information. Thanks for that!

What about level drop? I've been working on fiverr for the last 3/4 years and this week I received 2 bad reviews in a row (the first among more than 200) and I think I will get a level drop by next evaluation (from level two to one). Is it too bad? or you think my profile would be highlighted among all of the other level one sellers?

• Like 47
  • Sad 4
  • Up 3

4 hours ago, agustnscavino said:

I received 2 bad reviews in a row (the first among more than 200) and I think I will get a level drop by next evaluation

You only drop a level if your stats drop, and your average review rating is not one of those stats. However, you will see a drop in new contacts if the buyers complete the two private surveys.  ⬇️

17 hours ago, smashradio said:

Private feedback: Buyers can leave a public rating and private feedback for each order they complete on Fiverr. The public rating is visible to everyone, while the private feedback is only seen by Fiverr’s team. Getting negative feedback is one of the most common reasons sellers end up in a slump. 

5 hours ago, agustnscavino said:

Is it too bad? or you think my profile would be highlighted among all of the other level one sellers?

Nope. 

• Like 52

6 hours ago, agustnscavino said:

Great information. Thanks for that!

What about level drop? I've been working on fiverr for the last 3/4 years and this week I received 2 bad reviews in a row (the first among more than 200) and I think I will get a level drop by next evaluation (from level two to one). Is it too bad? or you think my profile would be highlighted among all of the other level one sellers?

To stay on level 2, you must maintain a 4.7-star rating over 60 days. So it depends on how many other orders you've had and their rating. 

If you drop down to level one, you can still work your way back up to level two in a month or two, and the process is automatic. Dropping a level while on level 2 isn't the end of the world. 

Your profile won't be visibly changed by it, and you can still work with new and old buyers just like before. 

It's worse if you become a TRS and lose your level because you might never get that TRS badge back. 

If your buyers also left negative private reviews, you will feel it, but it's nothing you can't bounce back from, especially if you have regular buyers. But take it as a learning experience. Analyze what went wrong and how you can avoid it in the future. 

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

This is the type of content that people should post, not "how to rank fast", "how to get work", "why I got deranked".

Congrats @smashradio for a great post!

Danke! 😀

• Like 46
  • Congrats! 4

Yay! Another much-needed post from @smashradio! 🥳🎉

On 5/29/2023 at 2:29 PM, smashradio said:

Learn as much as possible about how Fiverr works before you publish your gigs. That way, you gain as much momentum as possible through the gates.

Here are some of the things you should focus on as a new seller: 

• Learn how Fiverr works. Make sure you read and understand the terms and community guidelines.

[purple italics added for emphasis]

I love how you mentioned twice that new sellers need to learn how Fiverr works first (especially reading the ToS) ... before they do anything else. I don't know why new sellers would jeopardize their business by not taking this important, first step.

Being a New Seller is a lot like a first date. First impressions matter, so make it count. 

So true! The "first impression" counts waaay more than "gig impressions" that most newbies seem fixated on.

With the new seller, the first impression is everything. Buyers can tell how much time you put into your gigs and portfolio samples. Your portfolio can also show how trustworthy, capable, and professional you are. If you make a good first impression, buyers will give you a chance.

Level One Seller

Congratulations! You made it to second base. Expectations rise, and so should your pricing and service quality.

If you stop swimming, you die, just like the shark.

This is a no-brainer, but it still baffles me that so many sellers don't realize that as they level up in seller levels, they should also be leveling up the quality of their services and seller performance as well. It does not get easier when you get to higher seller levels. If anything, it becomes more challenging because there are higher expectations. There's also no such thing as perfection - there's always room for improvement no matter where you are in your business.

Be a true professional. The communication skills you (hopefully) learned while climbing the levels should have been put to good use long ago. Prove your ability to handle disputes, feedback, and demanding buyers.

Learn new skills. I make it a point to learn something new every day, with the goal of becoming good at something every year.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that I lost Seller Plus this month because I found out I was over-dependent on the Request to Order feature (and too fearful of the Out-Of-Office feature). Without the Request to Order, I have more cancelations, so I see this as an opportunity to improve my communication skills and update my gigs so that my services are easier to understand.

Many of the new skills that I'm learning this year are related to communication - I recently started offering Zoom consultations (even though I previously had a no-Zoom policy). Since I was really camera shy, I started buying Zoom consultation gigs as a buyer, and then started doing a daily 5-minute video journal recordings so that I could feel comfortable in front of the camera. It's helping. I'm still not the best at communicating on Zoom, but I recently was able to jump on a Zoom call immediately with a client (whereas previously, I needed at least a week's notice to just get myself mentally prepared for the Zoom call). 😅

Thanks for another awesome post @smashradio! The only question I would like to ask you is about the Pro Seller Level ... what has been your experience with Fiverr Pro and what's your take on this vetted seller level?

• Like 45
  • Congrats! 4

On 5/30/2023 at 1:29 AM, smashradio said:

Buyer satisfaction rate: A measure of how well you’re performing on Fiverr based on your performance. It’s calculated based on several factors, with private feedback given by your buyers being one of the most important ones. Others include public ratings, response rate, order completion rate, and on-time delivery. A higher satisfaction rate = more business coming your way and is even required to reach the Top Rated Seller level

Are you sure all those things are part of the buyer satisfaction rate calculation? I thought it was just the reviews (private and public).

This link: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/15140188560913-Top-Rated-Sellers?segment=seller

says:

Eligibility is based on other requirements such as high-quality service, high buyer satisfaction, and on-time delivery.

so with it says eligibiliy is based on..."high buyer satisfaction, and on-time delivery" doesn't that suggest that on-time delivery% isn't part of the buyer satisfaction rate calculation?

Did Fiverr staff tell you what it takes into account in the buyer satisfaction rate calc?

Or when you said "Others include public ratings, respond rate..." did you mean other measurements and not other parts of the buyer satisfaction rate calc?

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 38
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 11:04 AM, uk1000 said:

Are you sure all those things are part of the buyer satisfaction rate calculation? I thought it was just the reviews (private and public).

This link: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/15140188560913-Top-Rated-Sellers?segment=seller

says:

so with it says eligibiliy is based on..."high buyer satisfaction, and on-time delivery" doesn't that suggest that on-time delivery% isn't part of the buyer satisfaction rate calculation?

Did Fiverr staff tell you what it takes into account in the buyer satisfaction rate calc?

Or when you said "Others include public ratings, respond rate..." did you mean other measurements and not other parts of the buyer satisfaction rate calc?

I meant other measurements, not other parts of the buyer satisfaction rate. It should have been "Other stats include public ratings.." and it should be part of a separate bullet point. It got lost in editing. 

With that said, I believe on-time delivery could be factored into your buyer satisfaction - if not directly - then by the fact that late deliveries will affect your buyer satisfaction rate because of feedback from the buyers. 

• Like 34

Thanks so much for your post! It definitely helps me feel like I'm not alone when swimming up the tide, advancing in levels. 

Unfortunately it did give me a little heartbreak and wished I was still a lower level, back when I received 75% more orders than I do now. You never know what you have until you lose it! I would exchange my Level 2 badge for my Level 1 badge and +75% business any day 😉

• Like 35

On 5/31/2023 at 10:45 AM, vickieito said:

Thanks for another awesome post @smashradio! The only question I would like to ask you is about the Pro Seller Level ... what has been your experience with Fiverr Pro and what's your take on this vetted seller level?

Sorry for the late response Vickie! I forgot about this post until I had to refer back to it for someone currently navigating post-promotion

My experience as a Pro... Let's see. 

One major change has been an increase in my rates. The decision to not opt for Pro in the voiceover category was intentional; I didn't want to price myself out of competition. This was a sensible move then and still holds true now.

For my content writing gigs, adopting Pro made perfect sense. After assessing my net hourly income from the last 20 orders, I realized I wasn't earning as much as I aspired to. I calculated that my rate had to be doubled and that I could afford to have fewer clients from those gigs. 

It worked out very well. Most of my regulars stayed on. A few left due to pricing, and that's fine. 

Fiverr Pro can be great if you're already operating in the 100+ USD pricing bracket or if you're aiming for it. 

The vetting process is time-consuming, but you get some nice benefits once you earn the Pro status.

Without going into extensive detail here, the perks of being Pro have positively influenced my non-Pro gigs and workflow as well, particularly when dealing with support. Of course, sporting the Pro badge is a nice touch too.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, ultramusicpromo said:

You never know what you have until you lose it! I would exchange my Level 2 badge for my Level 1 badge and +75% business any day 😉

And you'll never know what you have as a Level 2 seller until you are demoted back to Level 1.

Just because Level 1 was good for you then doesn't mean that it'll ever be the same if you were sent back to Level 1. I know several sellers who were demoted back to Level 1, and business was never the same. They soon lost their Level 1 status and are New Sellers with even less orders. So appreciate the hard work that got you to Level 2 and realize that slumps do happen. If you could do it as a Level 1 seller, you can do it as a Level 2 seller, too. I think a lot of sellers think that things get easier the higher you move up in levels, but that's not the case. Competition and expectations are much higher once you get to Level 2, and even more so if you aspire to Pro or TRS levels.

5 hours ago, smashradio said:

Sorry for the late response Vickie!

Thanks, @smashradio! I know you've already addressed Fiverr Pro in previous posts especially how it didn't make sense for the VO gigs. I still have a lot of work to do before I even consider applying for Pro. Losing Seller Plus temporarily taught me that I still need to work on communication and my workflows to operate at the Pro level. I'm not there yet. 

• Like 33

15 hours ago, vickieito said:

Thanks, @smashradio! I know you've already addressed Fiverr Pro in previous posts especially how it didn't make sense for the VO gigs. I still have a lot of work to do before I even consider applying for Pro. Losing Seller Plus temporarily taught me that I still need to work on communication and my workflows to operate at the Pro level. I'm not there yet. 

Vickie - you're one of the best communicators I know on Fiverr. Your support skills are well-established, and you've consistently proven that here on the forum. Your patience, coupled with a somehow inhuman willingness to help even the worst ignoramuses you meet, is praiseworthy on its own. 

When I transitioned into Pro, the only adjustment I made was the amount of time I dedicated to each client. It gave me the flexibility to focus on one project at a time – a luxury I didn't have prior to upping my rates. I also started expecting more from myself, but the skills I possessed were already there. 

Becoming a pro seller is more about demonstrating that you're already a professional in the outside world.

There's a Norwegian movie that comes to mind titled "Headhunters". It tells the story of a top recruiter who doubles as an art thief, stealing artworks from the people he recruits into prominent SEO positions. The protagonist makes a poignant statement: "It's all about being renowned". I think that captures the primary challenge of Pro. As for skills, you've already got them, and plenty of it. 

• Like 30
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...