Groundhog Day

newsmike

Well - according to the font of all knowledge - Wikipedia 🙂  This is groundhog day

It derives from the Pennsylvania Dutch superstition that if a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day and sees its shadow due to clear weather, it will retreat to its den and winter will go on for six more weeks; if it does not see its shadow because of cloudiness, spring will arrive early.

While the tradition remains popular in the 21st century, studies have found no consistent association between a groundhog seeing its shadow and the subsequent arrival time of spring-like weather.[2]

I'm glad the studies found that groundhogs do not have meteorological qualifications from groundhog university, and as such can't predict the whether.  The scientists must have been the same people that trawled lock Ness genuinely thinking they were going to find Nessie. 

However, please let us know if any of the little critters start presenting on the whether channel @newsmike and I will throw myself on the sword 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, breals said:

I'm glad the studies found that groundhogs do not have meteorological qualifications from groundhog university, and as such can't predict the whether. 

You only need to be accurate 50% of the time on 10-day weather forecasts to be a weatherman and accuracy goes down with time. If groundhogs are making a 6-week forecast, their guess is just as good as anyone's ...so I guess they are qualified to make 6-week forecasts?!

image.thumb.png.f41cd9c9b65e76aed45c2a1382e4b91d.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, breals said:

The scientists must have been the same people that trawled lock Ness genuinely thinking they were going to find Nessie. 

I think that the groundhog (Punxsutawney Phil) and Nessie are both still around is because its good for business. The gift shops and theme restaurants in Punxsutawney and Loch Ness are no doubt bustling with sales.

• Like 9

Never heard of this day and found this interesting info about it. Sounds great!

Groundhog Day is a holiday celebrated annually in the United States and Canada on February 2nd. According to the tradition, if a groundhog (a type of rodent) emerges from its burrow on this day and sees its shadow, it will retreat back into its burrow, indicating that winter will persist for six more weeks. If the groundhog does not see its shadow, it is said to be a sign of an early spring. The holiday has been popularized in popular culture by the aforementioned 1993 film "Groundhog Day," which uses the holiday as a central plot device.

• Like 9