SCAM messages only! Enough! What FIVERR is doing?

frenchyflo

Despite alerting FIVERR of all these SCAM messages pretending they have a "job" for you (various attempts, from Telegram messages, screenshots, etc.), it keeps on going. This is a VERY BAD experience for me for my first try on FIVERR. Total waste of time and energy and all I get is scam, no other communication or interest to my gigs! Anyone else?

• Like 35
  • Sad 5
  • Up 3

8 minutes ago, frenchyflo said:

Anyone else?

It sucks, but it's common. Especially as a relatively new seller you look like an easy prey (everyone does.) Even as a TRS, I get a bunch of scammers. Fiverr DOES block them, but sometimes I'm guessing it's impossible to guess their intent before the first messages are sent through (and they come up with new ways to pass the filter like sending images with their contact info, etc.) It's... not fun, but it gets better as you get more orders! That being said, I hope that the filter will be upgraded to be a bit better (and to filter out other things as well that are spammy, but not sure if that will happen/or if it's even possible.

• Like 36
  • Up 1

Well, spam is a common problem throughout the internet, and although Fiverr it's a updating it's policies and filters it will always happens.

I suppose that depending on you gigs you may be a target for more or less spam, but it won't go away.

Is like finding ads in your mail (the real one, not the email), it can bother you but there's nothing you can really do to stop it from happening, is something you have to learn to live with.

My only advice is that you answer them (a simple "no" and then blocking them will suffice) or report them as leaving them unattended can affect your response time.

Edited by shalock
  • Like 25
  • Congrats! 1

7 hours ago, shalock said:

Is like finding ads in your mail (the real one, not the email), it can bother you but there's nothing you can really do to stop it from happening

Real one is actually really easy here, you just put a "no ads" sticker on your postbox, and Abracadabra, only bills in the mail henceforth ... -_-

7 hours ago, shalock said:

I suppose that depending on you gigs you may be a target for more or less spam, but it won't go away.

Yes. I've also sent support some ideas for how to reduce the spam, when it really blew up, and while they replied that they are awesome, they also replied along the lines of basically, "if your profile is great, you'll get spam, we can't keep them from spamming you, although some sellers aren't allowed to spam". (Don't ask me, why *some* sellers, I didn't bother digging deeper, probably just some typo.)

On 11/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, frenchyflo said:

Anyone else?

Try, "Everyone else.", to a higher or lower degree, depending on category, profile, etc.

Fiverr is trying their best, I guess, and lately, often, once I get to click spam messages, they are already gone, or that's because other people are faster with reporting them.

In any case, I'd recommend preparing a few Quick Responses to use for every spam scenario to securely keep up your response rate, send that first, then click Spam or Report, depending, anf forget about it. But it is super annoying, granted, even with QR, it steals our time, bit by bit.

• Like 23
  • Congrats! 1

3 minutes ago, miiila said:

put a "no ads" sticker on your postbox

That would be wonderful, but here those ads don't exists and even if you put that in your mail you still would find unsolicited mail 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, miiila said:

Quick Responses to use for every spam scenario to securely keep up your response rate

This is a great advice! Worse than spam itself is spam that get to affect your ratings!

For me, spam has come in waves, there are high tides of spam followed by silent periods.

• Like 19
  • Up 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, frenchyflo said:

Despite alerting FIVERR of all these SCAM messages pretending they have a "job" for you (various attempts, from Telegram messages, screenshots, etc.), it keeps on going. This is a VERY BAD experience for me for my first try on FIVERR. Total waste of time and energy and all I get is scam, no other communication or interest to my gigs! Anyone else?

Really scam is a big problem on fiverr especially as a new seller. I think this problem is solved is only one way. You talk to him directly you are not intersted in this job.

• Like 18
  • Congrats! 1

Ignore (or report/block) and move on.

We had (and still have) a lot of weird messages on the platform. When the NFT trend started, I got flooded by NFT requests from people who wanted over 10k 'traits' for a very low budget and done quickly, I had to write 'No NFT' in my gigs to at least reduce that, until it stopped completely. Then from time to time I get messages from buyers who want me to contact them on other platforms for a 'job', they try to hire people for something that is not even listed in their gigs, etc. Nothing you can do about it and Fiverr at least takes action right away by flagging and/or banning buyers that act like spammers.

Yes, it got really bad recently and when I joined Fiverr in 2020 it wasn't like this at all. Still, it definitely took me a long time to get my first proper message and order, so just be patient. I'm sure a legit buyer will contact you soon! 🙂

• Like 15

I'm fairly new. I've almost fallen for these direct message scams. I couldn't find a trace in Fiverr messages so I thought it was questionable. I received another email this morning and thought to contact support about it. I can't find anywhere to report it. I've only found these chats about it and it took me an hour. I hope no one falls for this stuff. I hope Fiverr can fix it. 

• Like 14

• 9 months later...

I got a person sending me a link to a google doc that requires me to ask for permission to view, RED FLAG. Not giving them my email address even if it is easy to find if you want to. Make them work for it. So I told them to make the link viewable by anyone with the link and no more replies. 

• Like 11

I was scammed! 😩 I paid approximately $65 for original human research, and the seller sent an AI-generated document. The seller said they had a glitch in their writing software, and as the deadline approached, they resorted to a quick fix and used AI instead of asking for an extension. Unacceptable and unethical. The seller failed to deliver the originality and creativity I paid for. I strongly advise others to exercise caution when ordering gigs and ask upfront will the written product be original human research or an AI-generated document. 

• Like 8

crazy! AI scanners are not that very accurate though, they just speculate '90 percent confidence this was written by AI', '45 percent this sentence was completed with the aid of AI.' It's all crazy at times hence the need to approach the seller to settle the claim fairly. You could just ask for more revisions or a refund if unsatisfied. I have had to prove to a certain client that I do not have access to any AI tools by sending her a complete google search history of my compute to prove that I worked on her article post clause by clause. It's sad when we use AI scanner tools without noting how less efficient they are... they just scan and scan and speculate. The real deal is a similarity scanner, I trust this one.

• Like 7

Hello Victoria - you are correct AI is less efficient and not always accurate. The AI sentences had nothing to do with the topic and were used out of context. I am disappointed that a seller would upload the document as final work knowing they were cheating/robbing rme. I contacted Fiverr and after many days of sending proof - they finally issued me a refund. It was not easy getting the refund. 

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Hi Fiverr community. 

So I'm a new seller (translations) and because I didn't have much experience I became a victim of the scam. I translated a very long article and then "the client" said that they transferred mu money, but IRS is withholding the payment and I need to pay taxes n order to get it (and I'm not US resident). At least at that point I understood who am I dealing with. 

The question is really if there is anything to do now.

Anyway I learned a lot from that experience and hope no-one else will be in this situation. Be careful and go with you gut! 

• Like 7