Fake virus warnings

akshatjain5

Question

Hello there , hope you all are doing good ! 
I recently got an order which I delivered just now , the software was made in python , converted to .exe via Pyinstaller 

But the problem with Pyinstaller is sometimes it gives anti-virus a false alert of it being a virus 

More read https://python-forum.io/thread-32589.html

9C906890-F5AD-489F-BFC5-0F353633C7DF.thumb.jpeg.74381e15459b507a30361a079f2eb0cf.jpeg
Pyinstaller converted files treated as virus . 

Why i need to convert it to .exe

To make it a standalone application , you can't run .py scripts in your system until and unless you have python installed and that too with all dependencies which that .py file have !

But when stand-alone application is created you can run it in any system no matter it has python or not ! 
B579772A-D7E7-4A49-AFF6-FD3C64598C02.thumb.jpeg.16f48739993d3570d889a915b6bd45db.jpeg

SO NOW HERE MY CONCERN IS

Can fiverr take some action against me as that file is shown as virus !

However I've already clearly mentioned in my delivery that what all situation is there

• Like 7

6 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, akshatjain5 said:

Can fiverr take some action against me as that file is shown as virus !

They might, if the buyer reaches out to them complaining about you sending them a virus. If they add the proof of an anti-virus software saying it is a virus, you could get in trouble for that. I'm sure they would trust a reputable antivirus software company more than a Fiverr seller in such matters. 

I can't help but notice that one of your screenshots says: "It is one of the recommended converters". 

"One of" caught my eye. if you're having trouble with the converter you're using, why not try a different converter? You might avoid the entire issue. Just a thought. 

Also, have you tried following this guide? 

https://python.plainenglish.io/pyinstaller-exe-false-positive-trojan-virus-resolved-b33842bd3184

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 5
  • Up 2

Well, being a programmer its routine for me where compiled executables gets false flagged.

For background information, pyinstaller been used so much in wild by malware authors.

So anti viruses started to name them as malware.

What you can do is just provide source code. And satisfy user that its false flag.

For client satisfaction, you can also ask them to get source code reviewed by other programmers/analyst.

Also send samples to anti virus vendors (that flags) by their appropriate channels and they will soon exclude it.

I mostly compile in front of client with source code.

And its normal, fiverr won't take action against you except when reported by client.

Edited by grayprogrammerz
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, smashradio said:

They might, if the buyer reaches out to them complaining about you sending them a virus. If they add the proof of an anti-virus software saying it is a virus, you could get in trouble for that. I'm sure they would trust a reputable antivirus software company more than a Fiverr seller in such matters. 

I can't help but notice that one of your screenshots says: "It is one of the recommended converters". 

"One of" caught my eye. if you're having trouble with the converter you're using, why not try a different converter? You might avoid the entire issue. Just a thought. 

Also, have you tried following this guide? 

https://python.plainenglish.io/pyinstaller-exe-false-positive-trojan-virus-resolved-b33842bd3184

There are many other alternatives available but PyInstaller is still one of the best and easy to use !

Yes I went through that guide , it's that such exe gets marked as virus while others are not when using PyInstaller , the issue was not there in old version which I use normally , but for this specific delivery I've to use the latest version which has this issue 🙃🥲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

Well, being a programmer its routine for me where compiled executables gets false flagged.

For background information, pyinstaller been used so much in wild by malware authors.

So anti viruses started to name them as malware.

What you can do is just provide source code. And satisfy user that its false flag.

For client satisfaction, you can also ask them to get source code reviewed by other programmers/analyst.

Also send samples to anti virus vendors (that flags) by their appropriate channels and they will soon exclude it.

I mostly compile in front of client with source code.

And its normal, fiverr won't take action against you except when reported by client.

I have delivered the source code also to them ! 
and can't compile in front of client as timings are not same as we live in regions apart moreover recording a video of this lengthy process isn't worthy I guess !

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, akshatjain5 said:

There are many other alternatives available but PyInstaller is still one of the best and easy to use !

If it false flags as a virus, I wouldn't say it's the best of there are alternatives out there that does the job without this major issue. I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't know. 🙂 

Talking of source code: this only helps if the clients knows anything about code. If not, showing them the source code won't help. It will only look like a scary wall of cryptic mumbo jumbo. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 11:18 PM, akshatjain5 said:

I have delivered the source code also to them ! 
and can't compile in front of client as timings are not same as we live in regions apart moreover recording a video of this lengthy process isn't worthy I guess !

Client don't understand coding, that's why they hired you.

But only and only when client doubts, challenge him to get review source code by OTHER PROGRAMMERS/MALWARE ANALYST.

Coder1: Source code is fine, no virus.

Coder2: No illegal activity found.

Coder3: Code is good to go.

then client would be satisfied.

or send sample to malware vendors like avast, they reply and would verify "NO ILLEGAL ACTIVITY FOUND".

• Like 3