Buyer insights don't seem accurate. Has anyone else noticed?

mandyzines

I'm pretty sure that they've only ever had an order with me--that one indicated here--and the amount was exponentially higher than what the stats say the client's average order price is.

I'm not sure how many sellers have been in a situation with the same factors, or if I'm reading this right, but either way it would be nice to know because it is a selling point of Seller Plus.

orderprice.png

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

It's not very clear. They could have added more to it to say what the avg. order price was with you and what the avg order price was was with others.

At the bottom of that screenshot it says "* Based on the activity of similar buyers" and the "Average order price" has "*" next to it.

You could check this page: https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/5247501745169-Buyer-activity-insights

which says:

Note: Activity for orders placed with all sellers is based on public reviews, except average order price and order completion rate, which are based on activity of similar buyers.

But the average order price explanation says:

Shows the average price paid, excluding tax and fees, for orders placed with you.

For orders with all sellers, you’ll see an average range of prices paid, excluding tax and fees, based on order activity of similar buyers.

So it could make it more clear what exactly each figure shows on that insights screen (not just on the help page) as well as have separate figures if they want to show info on orders they've had with you and other info for more general things.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 5
  • Up 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

Hmmm, was it a package with an original price of 35$ and they had extras added to the order? 

It was a custom offer that I sent them and they accepted. The total price was fixed.

21 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

They could have added more to it to say what the avg. order price was with you and what the avg order price was was with others.

I'm not looking at the rates, though. The "completed orders" (1) shown here is supposed to include mine as well as others', yes? This is why I'm assuming they've only ever had an order with me.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 3
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

I'm not looking at the rates, though. The "completed orders" (1) shown here is supposed to include mine as well as others', yes? This is why I'm assuming they've only ever had an order with me.

Could they have had a cancelled order(s)? 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

*Based on the activity of similar buyers

It's written on there. The stats have nothing to do with that buyer. It's meaningless. I don't know what "similar buyers" means, and Fiverr won't say. The only metrics that mean something are rating given, number of orders, date of last order and preferred service. Everything else doesn't mean anything.

Completion rate and order price are not tied to that buyer in any way, so you may as well just ignore that.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

*Based on the activity of similar buyers

Right but isn't that in reference to the lines that end with an asterisk: "Average order price*" and "Order completion rate*" ?

So, anything not with an asterisk at the end of the line, including "completed orders," isn't clarified by that "*Based on activity of similar buyers" at the bottom.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

That feature is only useful because you see the average rating given. And that does seem to be accurate.

I had a narrow escape with a buyer who had done two orders and given both sellers 2.5-star reviews. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

Right but isn't that in reference to the lines that end with an asterisk: "Average order price*" and "Order completion rate*" ?

So, anything not with an asterisk at the end of the line, including "completed orders," isn't clarified by that "*Based on activity of similar buyers" at the bottom.

Yes, but that was what you were referring to, no?

"I'm pretty sure that they've only ever had an order with me--that one indicated here--and the amount was exponentially higher than what the stats say the client's average order price is."

The stats do not say what the client's average order price is. It's the average order price of whatever Fiverr thinks "similar buyers" are.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 3
  • Up 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

The stats do not say what the client's average order price is. It's the average order price of whatever Fiverr thinks "similar buyers" are.

Hmmm, so say the only order that they've had on Fiverr was with me and for $100. Somehow Fiverr's system sees that as an average order price of under $35 compared to similar buyers?

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

Hmmm, so say the only order that they've had on Fiverr was with me and for $100. Somehow Fiverr's system sees that as an average of under $35 compared to similar buyers?

No.

Similar buyers to that one (how Fiverr picks who "similar buyers" are no one knows), spend an average of $35 per order. Your buyer himself, and how much he spends, is irrelevant.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, visualstudios said:

how Fiverr picks who "similar buyers" are no one knows

I guess in this case it's not other buyers who spend over $100 on orders on average. Thank you.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

You could check with CS and see what they say about it and maybe show them the help page.

Since they say both these things (1 and 2)

Shows the average price paid, excluding tax and fees, for orders placed with you. [1]

For orders with all sellers, you’ll see an average range of prices paid, excluding tax and fees, based on order activity of similar buyers. [2]

The [1] seems like it should show somewhere the average price paid for orders with you by that somewhere even if it (also) shows the average price paid by similar buyers with you.

Maybe the bit in the help that says "Shows the average price paid, excluding tax and fees, for orders placed with you".

is either outdated/incorrect or it might only show that average order price the buyer paid with you if there's enough orders he made with you for it to show it (eg. maybe there's a min of 2 orders they have to place with you before it shows it. But I'd check with CS.

Or maybe the "for orders with you " is for all the similar buyers who ordered from you not just him, so it never displays the single buyer's average order price with you.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

I guess in this case it's not other buyers who spend over $100 on orders on average. Thank you.

*Based on spend of similar buyers.

This assumes there is such a thing as a "similar buyer", so let's say each buyer has some kind of "buyer profile".

Let's say your buyer is a north american, 35 year old male, and that is what Fiverr considers his "buyer profile" to be.

Let's say north american, 35 year old males spend an average of $5 per order.

Your buyer can have an average spend of $1000 per order. His average order spend based on the activity of similar buyers will still be $5.

Conclusion - unless we know what "similar buyer" means, and how it's defined, the average order price metric is utterly irrelevant, and there's no point looking at it, as it provides no useful information.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 2
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Shows the average price paid, excluding tax and fees, for orders placed with you. [1]

For orders with all sellers, you’ll see an average range of prices paid, excluding tax and fees, based on order activity of similar buyers. [2]

The "with me" has the correct price but the "on Fiverr" is wonky. I think @donnovan86 maybe on to something when he mentions nothing but the average rating given seeming to be accurate/helpful. Thank you!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Conclusion - unless we know what "similar buyer" means, and how it's defined, the average order price metric is utterly irrelevant, and there's no point looking at it, as it provides no useful information.

I guess I didn't know how much of those insight stats weren't useful and why. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arianelaurent said:

I had a narrow escape with a buyer who had done two orders and given both sellers 2.5-star reviews. 

Yeah, that's one of the key reasons I keep seller plus, at least the standard version. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, smashradio said:

but I guess they can't avoid having to generalize some info due to GDPR.

probably, but they're also showing the "preferred service" that the buyer buys the most that could also be more confidential. But it also says "based on public reviews" (I didn't notice that before) but it also could be something that isn't easily found out manually and their reviews might be before sellers put their reviews on people's profile, so it still could be something that's a bit confidential and they haven't opted in to (there's no opt out of the showing of a buyer's info even though there used to be - even though it automatically opted everyone into it when it shouldn't have GDPR-wise I think).

According to perplexity.ai (related to buyer info and them all being opted into their buying info being shown, 1st given an opt out at the bottom of the profile, then the option to opt out removed):

Consent must be an affirmative action, such as checking a box or clicking a button. Pre-ticked boxes or other default opt-in mechanisms are not allowed.

Consent cannot be bundled into terms and conditions or other agreements. It must be separate and distinguishable.

Individuals must be able to easily withdraw their consent at any time. Removing the option to opt-out would violate this requirement

Additionally, the GDPR prohibits using personal data for purposes that are incompatible with the original reason the data was collected, unless the individual provides additional consent.

So automatically opting people into sharing subcategories of their purchase data, even if they had previously consented to something else, would not be compliant with the GDPR's strict consent requirements. Individuals must be given the ability to freely choose what personal data is shared and for what purposes.

In summary, the GDPR does not allow for the type of opt-out and later removal of opt-out options that the question describes. Explicit, granular consent is required, and individuals must be able to easily withdraw that consent at any time.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 3