Revisions harmful?

geo316

5 minutes ago, geo316 said:

@frank_d just to be clear, I didn't mean to toss a grenade. My comment was (still is) my observance of the forum in general and not specifically your post - which among most of what I've read here is very helpful.Again I should have been a little clearer. Yes, I did interpret you saying "-Not getting lots of revision requests"  as meaning that buyers asking for revisions can be bad.

Thank you for your responses here, I'm honored that "forum royalty" would visit my humble thread lol!

No offense was taken.

It’s just that every once in a while someone takes a sentence out of my lengthy post and then proceeds to attempt to discredit my entire thesis.

It’s true, the forum has a lot of people who make wild claims from time to time and there are several myths that no matter what I write, people still believe them to be true.

I’m trying my best at the moment to clean up the “seller tips” section.

In the meantime you can always mention me anytime you have a question or need clarification on anything.

7 hours ago, frank_d said:

Heck you can even cancel them after 14 days have passed with absolutely 0 negative effects.

There's my new knowledge for the day. I never knew this, I'm going to go cancel some that have been awaiting requirements for years.  Hope it works, if not, I'll see you all when I get back from Fiverr Gitmo. 

7 hours ago, frank_d said:

a) revisions are not helping a freelancer be efficient. It slows you down and hinders sales growth. All freelancers need to work on their pre-purchase phase and overall process if they are constantly bombarded with revisions past initial delivery.

b) Let’s assume Fiverr favors efficiency and two gigs of equal relevancy are competing for a spot. One of them has an order or two in revision, and the other is wide open. Which gig will take the spot?

@frank_d and other discussion mates - This is my concern. Maybe the word "punishing" in my OP was too strong, but "not helping", "slows down". "hinders"' are all bad things - no? Revisions are a natural and expected part of the process of music production / mixing and mastering which I do. Even outside of Fiverr maybe only 40 - 50 percent of projects are accepted by clients on the first round. Of course I wouldn't call that a "bombardment" either. I can understand that if I get bombarded, then maybe I'm not as good as I think I am. Furthermore when I'm a buyer on Fiverr I tend to favor sellers that offer two or three revisions so right or wrong I assume my buyers feel the same. I guess if revisions - or specifically a number of projects sitting in revision at a given time will possibly reflect negatively then I guess there's no avoiding this. Yes? No?

4 minutes ago, geo316 said:

@frank_d and other discussion mates - This is my concern. Maybe the word "punishing" in my OP was too strong, but "not helping", "slows down". "hinders"' are all bad things - no? Revisions are a natural and expected part of the process of music production / mixing and mastering which I do. Even outside of Fiverr maybe only 40 - 50 percent of projects are accepted by clients on the first round. Of course I wouldn't call that a "bombardment" either. I can understand that if I get bombarded, then maybe I'm not as good as I think I am. Furthermore when I'm a buyer on Fiverr I tend to favor sellers that offer two or three revisions so right or wrong I assume my buyers feel the same. I guess if revisions - or specifically a number of projects sitting in revision at a given time will possibly reflect negatively then I guess there's no avoiding this. Yes? No?

This is me speaking for myself.

Fiverr is not punishing you or your gigs if a buyer asks for revisions.

what I am saying is: as a professional you should strive to get asked to revise less and less as it will be more efficient.

At the same time I am assuming that if the system has to pick between you and another seller to fill up a search spot, and you have one or several gigs under revision it may or may not choose the other seller.

So my opinion is based on a fact and an assumption.

Speaking of efficiency, there are minor revisions and do-overs, nuclear notes.

It’s expected to get some notes even after going through everything over with the client, but what sort of notes you get is data you can use to improve.

As for the “buyer perspective”, why are you favoring sellers who offer lots of revisions?

Is it because you don’t trust they will Nail it on the head right away? You are not sure about what you want? It feels safer?

So... also I'm gathering from a few things posted in this thread that messaging the buyer with an excerpt or even the finished work prior to actually delivering the work is a practice among sellers. In regards to what we are discussing is this within the bounds of what Fiverr considers good and acceptable?

8 minutes ago, geo316 said:

So... also I'm gathering from a few things posted in this thread that messaging the buyer with an excerpt or even the finished work prior to actually delivering the work is a practice among sellers. In regards to what we are discussing is this within the bounds of what Fiverr considers good and acceptable?

Oh no-no-no.

Please don’t do that. Do not work on samples, demos or the entire thing before the buyer purchases your service.

That’s just asking for trouble.

It’s neither good nor acceptable.

12 minutes ago, frank_d said:

As for the “buyer perspective”, why are you favoring sellers who offer lots of revisions?

Is it because you don’t trust they will Nail it on the head right away? You are not sure about what you want? It feels safer?

Hmmm... I'm chewing on your point... I will consider these things for sure. Being an audio engineer for decades revisions have ALWAYS been part of the process being that once you clear the hurdle of being "technically excellent" some of the small things requested in music production as revisions are subjective - like making one singer louder, turning up the bass a little, fading the song out a little earlier, etc... in my world these kind of things are often requested....  I'm not sure they can be reduced being that they are again subjective and often ego driven... Thank you for this discussion!

7 minutes ago, geo316 said:

Hmmm... I'm chewing on your point... I will consider these things for sure. Being an audio engineer for decades revisions have ALWAYS been part of the process being that once you clear the hurdle of being "technically excellent" some of the small things requested in music production as revisions are subjective - like making one singer louder, turning up the bass a little, fading the song out a little earlier, etc... in my world these kind of things are often requested....  I'm not sure they can be reduced being that they are again subjective and often ego driven... Thank you for this discussion!

I am definitely lacking the nuance of your field and the complexity of audio design at that level.

So I may be sounding absolute when there’s a spectrum I am ignoring.

But if you look at it from a buyer’s perspective then there are some universal attributes.

Sellers that offer many revisions usually signal a lack of confidence in the order process or the actual craft to an experienced buyer.

Most buyers look for safety when they ask for a guaranteed number of revisions.

Some buyers need “unlimited” revisions because they are the “I’ll know it when I hear/see it” types.

Everyone should avoid that last type of buyer. 🙂 

1 hour ago, newsmike said:

There's my new knowledge for the day. I never knew this, I'm going to go cancel some that have been awaiting requirements for years.  Hope it works, if not, I'll see you all when I get back from Fiverr Gitmo. 

I think I have 28 of those. I knew about this for a long time but I am still afraid to deal with any algorithm issue. So I just let them sit there in waiting.

Archived