Commercial/Broadcast Rights What is the point?

roberthazelton

I had a project requiring some voice acting so I take to Fiverr, looking through talent. Plenty of $5 jobs. But when you look at the commercial/broadcast rights, they are incredible. $90. $150. For 500 words. And while I get that there's a reason to talk about these things, tacking them on like that is akin to eBay sellers posting something for $10 then charging $100 shipping. 

What else am I going to use a voice over for? 

And I do have a solution. I think that if you're going to charge for Commercial or Broadcast rights, those should not be option. They should be required. So you no longer have a $5 job. You start at $155 dollars for whatever your word count is. 

Because honestly, people are here to pay for a service for business related functions. And if you genuinely do NOT need it (like you're doing a training course for your internal support team) then you can negotiate a custom offer. 

I honestly walked away from some brand new, first time sellers because they were tacking on incredible rates for those things. 

I'd love to hear some other opinions. 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, roberthazelton said:

I'd love to hear some other opinions. 

Stay away from new sellers who are running a scam like $150 rights on a $5 gig.  Just filter TRS or PRO and there is no game playing. Explain your usage to the seller and they will either include or exclude com/broadcast rights as needed. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Stay away from new sellers who are running a scam like $150 rights on a $5 gig.  Just filter TRS or PRO and there is no game playing. Explain your usage to the seller and they will either include or exclude com/broadcast rights as needed. 

That's a darn good point. I hadn't thought about new sellers playing games like that. Nor that they might not be 'new' but have a different account or something.

Very interesting. I like your suggestion.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, roberthazelton said:

I hadn't thought about new sellers playing games like that

Yeah, that is such a huge disparity, it almost seems like they want you to take the VO, then hold you up, or threaten you into the big payment. I've never seen anyone charging $5 for VO and $150 for rights, can you PM me the link to their gig? I'm curious to see their talent level. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 11

53 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Yeah, that is such a huge disparity, it almost seems like they want you to take the VO, then hold you up, or threaten you into the big payment. I've never seen anyone charging $5 for VO and $150 for rights, can you PM me the link to their gig? I'm curious to see their talent level. 

I sent you some interesting examples.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, newsmike said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are new to Fiverr, and believe that five dollar gigs will sell easier. 150 for rights isn't outrageous in the VO world, it's actually very cheap in some cases. 

• Like 12

Just now, donnovan86 said:

You might be using it for a personal project.

Indeed. 

Voice-over pricing is based on reach/how it's used. So if you need a voice for your national tv commercial, it's going to cost more. If you need it for a business video, it will be an extra charge. 

Usage fees are there to compensate us (the talent) for the value we add to your production. If you're going to be making millions by using my voice, I expect to be compensated. I don't expect that if you're using it for a funeral video or some other personal use. 

Having them as extras is natural, because not every order is the same. The price for this extra is stated clearly when you make an order. I don't really see the problem with that. 

It doesn't make sense to put broadcast rights bundled in the base price, or even commercial rights, because which set of rights you need will depend on each project. 

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate all your comments. I just ordered by 2nd VO and I am getting up to speed on Rights. I am working on a personal film, about my family and for my family (kids, grandkids...). Do I need to buy extra rights, if in the future I might want to put the film in a film festival? If I should want to put the film in a future film festival, and not accept any revenue, does that mean I should still get extra rights or not? Can you go back and add Rights later, for example if you change your mind about a film only being for family? If there is a better place to ask these questions, I appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction. 

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

I am having a dilemma with one buyer. He wants me to record a video representing a bank/insurance company that will be used online and paid channels like YouTube. He only purchased commercial rights and says that that is what he always purchases for his voices. Never full broadcasting rights. This feels a bit unfair since the rest of my buyers do purchase both rights for similar projects. What to do? I do not want to end this in a cancellation but accepting the iffer is selling myself short. Help? Any suggestions?? This is a frequent problem on fiverr! I wish there was a filter like:

1) does this project represent a brand, company or brand? Yes, then please purchase commercial rights

2) will this project be used online? Website? Social media? Paid channels like YouTube? Yes, then please also purchase the full broadcasting rights

then us (voices) wouldn’t have to keep arguing for our rights!!! Any comments!?!

• Like 5

As a story writer and screenplay writer, commercial rights (or licensing), are basically just a cherry atop the sundae imo. I charge 95% of my fee for 'the work.' The other 5% for the rights. My policy on commercial rights are if I write something for you, the rights come with the purchase. Credits are different. If my name remaining on something is part of the deal, it doesn't cost the client extra. It's simply among the list of terms they have to agree to... beforehand. Ghostwriting isn't really a big deal to me. So long as I am paid in full. Normally, commercial rights go for a huge sum only when you are approached by someone who wants to adapt, or outright purchase something you've already created. Otherwise known as an existing IP (intellectual property). At that point, they want your product because they see immense value in it. In that case, they have to pay you a robust number for it because it's an investment in a proven or existing creation. One they expect to make twice or more as much off of as they initially paid for it. These sorts of deals can last for years, decades, or longer. There's also full transference where you sell an IP of yours completely. Meaning you don't own any of it anymore. That's very different than being tapped, or hired to turn a concept of yours, or someone elses, into a piece of creative work.

Edited by nickj2013
  • Like 4