Always listen to your gut

magyarmelcsi

My post is intended for new sellers, maybe my story could be helpful to them when deciding whether to work with a client! I am an illustrator by the way.

So, the story: I was approached by a possible customer about two weeks ago. I told them my schedule was full for that week, but I can send her a custom offer with an extended delivery, and I can start working on the project the next week.

The offer was sent, and I received messages (without an active order) If I managed to start working on the sketch. This was the same week I voiced I am fully booked. I told them that no order was placed, therefore, even if I had the time, I could not start the project. I received no answer for 2 days, I withdrew the offer.

When the response came, I did send a new offer with the regular deadline the next week. At that, I received a message they want something entirely not related to the gig and not discussed previously. I also withdrew that offer and sent a new one with the new requirements.

At this point, I genuinely had a bad feeling about this, but hence I put energy into the conversations alone, I decided to work with her. Not smart!

I managed to send her the sketch, and the response to that was totally unacceptable in my opinion. She was missing things on the illustration that she did not tell me she wanted previously, she also basically demanded that I change the whole subject of the image.

I told her to either cancel, or make changes within the scope of the order, and if she needs extras that was not paid for, those extras will cost more.

I am currently waiting for her answer, but honestly, after all this, this is just a big headache for me, and I would rather cancel.

My point is, if you feel something is off in the beginning, do not accept orders just because you already put in effort!

First of all, I’m sorry you had to go through this.

Having that said, from my past experience, whenever I have a bad experience with a
troublesome buyer, I usually get a WONDERFUL buyer right afterwards.
Get yourself a nice cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or maybe egg nog ( with rum!!),
cancel the order, and move on.

Sending you some good vibes, I hope your next order is a success. 🌸

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago, I thought a program on personal safety to children, parents and teachers. My main goal for any child was to explain they all have an “uh oh” feeling. And because some are raised to ignore that feeling, children may not listen to there own instincts.

That “uh oh” feeling is there for a reason and we need to pay attention and listen to our instincts!

My instincts have also been wrong…but rarely.

Great advice and sorry he did this to you.

I had a similar situation recently. So many red flags, but it was a small order and very simple so I decided to take the risk. In retrospect I’m mad at myself for not listening to my gut and instead letting someone get away with mistreating me. We should never do that to ourselves.

Thanks for the reminder. I hope you make a clean break with him and don’t get another order like that for a long time.

Great advice and sorry he did this to you.

I had a similar situation recently. So many red flags, but it was a small order and very simple so I decided to take the risk. In retrospect I’m mad at myself for not listening to my gut and instead letting someone get away with mistreating me. We should never do that to ourselves.

Thanks for the reminder. I hope you make a clean break with him and don’t get another order like that for a long time.

Oh, I’m sorry you had to go through this too! I’ve been freelancing for a couple of years now, but setting boundaries is still a thing I have to master in some cases!

A bit of an update on the situation: After communicating the issue, the buyer understood that there are limitations on what I can do within a revision, and after all, she was pretty happy with the end result without changing the image much. I am still not sure that the amount I received was worth all that stress though in the beginning, but we managed to part ways in a pretty peaceful way, which I was not expecting at all! She will probably not be a returning buyer, I would probably not want that to happen either, she got her image, I got my money, the order had been completed. Sadly, this will not be the case with every situation similar to this, but it is important to highlight the positive outcomes too!

Archived