What can you do for clients but not for yourself?

mae_creativity

Hi kangaroos and pandas and 🦌 ,

This post is long because I can’t stop talking.
So if you’re not in the mood . . . I’ve made my point by the first line of trees below. So go ahead and comment.
I’m really, really, really looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

:purple_circle:

I am able to do so many different things for my clients, and do a great job.

I get an order and bam! Creativity starts shooting out of me like fireworks. 🎆
I need a fire extinguisher on my lap for safety. 🧯

And then create concrete things from my ideas—Bam! No problem. ☑️

But when I try to use these skills for my own projects, I’m useless.

Note - It’s NOT that the work I do for others leaves me drained of creativity or energy, and I DO have enough time. — I DO have time, energy and ideas. The problem is that I just can’t seem to figure out how to plan/write/design/etc./create anything for MYSELF.

🧠 Why is this?

💜 If you can relate I would really appreciate to hear about your experience.

:thinking: Is there any way to go about changing this?*

💬 What are things you can do for others but not for yourself?

‼️ Make sure to write in a way where you’re not promoting yourself cuz the mods will delete your comment and possibly this whole thread. 🧵 So PLEASE don’t.

🌲

Here’s a situation that happens often: I get a new client for a gig. Later they ask me if I can do another task for them–something I’ve never done before. 😃 Yay!
I figure out how to do it and when I get good at it, it becomes a brand new skill that I can offer. 🎉 Yay! Coolness!

This happened recently and now I want to create a new gig for it . . . but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to create ANY part of the gig:

Title + description . . .I don’t even know what this profession is called. 😖

If someone came to me with this situation, I would be able to guide them so easily. All the answers would just come to me. I would know what to research, exactly what to write for the description, etc.

But like I said, because it’s for me—I’m useless.
As useless as this emoji: 🍘
[ 🤨 What the fork is this emoji? It says rice cracker . . . how is this a rice cracker? What the shirt is the black thing? Plus, even a real, non-emoji rice cracker is not the most useful thing in the world.]

And I’ve not found a way to trick myself into thinking I’m my own client. So, that won’t work unless I go nuts and develop multiple personalities.

🌴

[if you don’t feel like reading a lot, the following is not important—probably not interesting to anyone besides myself . . . so go ahead and comment 😊 ]

This is really bothering me, upsetting really. If I could apply my skills to my own projects, I could do so many things I crave to do.

What would I like to do?

If I would combine all or some of my skills,

• Create the gig I was talking about before.
  • I would rewrite my book (actually finished it, got stuck for years in the editing stage, and now it’s gone after the house fire*).
  • Figure out what my youtube channel and blog are about, and create them.
  • Open some kind of business online, design the website, write copy, social media for the business.
  • [Once I get a new guitar + mic*] record a new album
  • And like a million more things that I want to do.

*Some months ago I was asleep when my bedroom caught on fire. Everything I owned burned up, including all the equipment I used to use for work (still cameras, video cameras, mics, musical instruments, all work saved on hard drive, etc).

🌵

Thanks so much french fries [ :joy:]😊
Hugs, Mae aka May aka Maytal aka 🐧

FIRST! The rice cracker is an Asian snack. The emoji set used on here has a lot of Japanese icons. (Gimme a hot-coco-mug emoji!) (Edit: The black thing, I’m pretty sure is ‘nori’ or seaweed. It’s what you see sushi wrapped in.)

Second, yeah, I sometimes encounter what you mean, though usually it shows itself most often when I have to do cleaning. Pay me to do a bit of housecleaning while I’m sitting? Consider it done! Time to do my own dusting? Bleeeeeh.

It’s trickier when you put the creativity aspect in. I think it’s partially because I don’t have that person setting requirements and restrictions, because that reinforces the need to be creative in order to fit in the parameters. I think it’s also partially because helping people feels good: there’re actually chemical reactions in the brain that are triggered by positive feedback. (No, I don’t have a source for that one.)

This, again, requires two people. It’s why people in support groups tend to have better success than people who try to go solo. It’s why places where workers can’t see the end result do team building exercises, so you can feel you’re helping your coworker out. It’s a small part of the reason why people in healthy relationships give their lives to each other.

And it’s why people can do random stuff for strangers and still be happy doing it.

FIRST! The rice cracker is an Asian snack. The emoji set used on here has a lot of Japanese icons. (Gimme a hot-coco-mug emoji!) (Edit: The black thing, I’m pretty sure is ‘nori’ or seaweed. It’s what you see sushi wrapped in.)

Second, yeah, I sometimes encounter what you mean, though usually it shows itself most often when I have to do cleaning. Pay me to do a bit of housecleaning while I’m sitting? Consider it done! Time to do my own dusting? Bleeeeeh.

It’s trickier when you put the creativity aspect in. I think it’s partially because I don’t have that person setting requirements and restrictions, because that reinforces the need to be creative in order to fit in the parameters. I think it’s also partially because helping people feels good: there’re actually chemical reactions in the brain that are triggered by positive feedback. (No, I don’t have a source for that one.)

This, again, requires two people. It’s why people in support groups tend to have better success than people who try to go solo. It’s why places where workers can’t see the end result do team building exercises, so you can feel you’re helping your coworker out. It’s a small part of the reason why people in healthy relationships give their lives to each other.

And it’s why people can do random stuff for strangers and still be happy doing it.

First!

I must say this, lest I be thought of an ignorant snob. 😉

Yes of course I know what a rice cracker is 😀

And I love Nori.

Was just saying that the emoji itself seems useless, cuz “rice cracker” isn’t the most commonly used word + if you need to refer to a rice cracker, what situation are you in where you decide to use the emoji instead of “rice cracker.” And, it still doesn’t look like a rice cracker or nori.

😊

First!

I must say this, lest I be thought of an ignorant snob. 😉

Yes of course I know what a rice cracker is 😀

And I love Nori.

Was just saying that the emoji itself seems useless, cuz “rice cracker” isn’t the most commonly used word + if you need to refer to a rice cracker, what situation are you in where you decide to use the emoji instead of “rice cracker.” And, it still doesn’t look like a rice cracker or nori.

😊

Just for that, I’m going to use that emoji in my next turn in the Emoji Game.

Wanted to also mention the problems with ‘procrastination’ and ‘the work never ends’. Or, the start and stop points. Not sure either of those need elaboration.

Wanted to also mention the problems with ‘procrastination’ and ‘the work never ends’. Or, the start and stop points. Not sure either of those need elaboration.

hahahahahahahahahahhahah - Yes. You can also use the annoying rice cracker’s mate: 🍙

Yes.

Someone to brainstorm with is the exact thing I need.

There is no one I can brainstorm with these days.

The only forum I know about is this one, but this won’t work because it’s public . . .

Where does one go online in my case, to brainstorm? (if one is not me personally, cuz I can’t brainstorm with myself )

What an interesting question. And being the deep thinker that I am it is leading me to question some very deep, hidden aspects of myself I haven’t thought about. I’m thinking about sympathy, kindness, understanding.

I’m thinking about sympathy, kindness, understanding.

What do you mean? Do you mean that you give others sympathy, etc. but not not give those things to yourself? If so . . . you are hard on yourself, don’t love yourself enough?

Hi kangaroos and pandas and 🦌 ,

This post is long because I can’t stop talking.

So if you’re not in the mood . . . I’ve made my point by the first line of trees below. So go ahead and comment.

I’m really, really, really looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

:purple_circle:

I am able to do so many different things for my clients, and do a great job.

I get an order and bam! Creativity starts shooting out of me like fireworks. 🎆

I need a fire extinguisher on my lap for safety. 🧯

And then create concrete things from my ideas—Bam! No problem. ☑️

Note - It’s NOT that the work I do for others leaves me drained of creativity or energy, and I DO have enough time. — I DO have time, energy and ideas. The problem is that I just can’t seem to figure out how to plan/write/design/etc./create anything for MYSELF.

🧠 Why is this?

💜 If you can relate I would really appreciate to hear about your experience.

:thinking: Is there any way to go about changing this?*

💬 What are things you can do for others but not for yourself?

‼️ Make sure to write in a way where you’re not promoting yourself cuz the mods will delete your comment and possibly this whole thread. 🧵 So PLEASE don’t.

🌲

Here’s a situation that happens often: I get a new client for a gig. Later they ask me if I can do another task for them–something I’ve never done before. 😃 Yay!

I figure out how to do it and when I get good at it, it becomes a brand new skill that I can offer. 🎉 Yay! Coolness!

This happened recently and now I want to create a new gig for it . . . but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to create ANY part of the gig:

Title + description . . .I don’t even know what this profession is called. 😖

If someone came to me with this situation, I would be able to guide them so easily. All the answers would just come to me. I would know what to research, exactly what to write for the description, etc.

But like I said, because it’s for me—I’m useless.

As useless as this emoji: 🍘

[ 🤨 What the fork is this emoji? It says rice cracker . . . how is this a rice cracker? What the shirt is the black thing? Plus, even a real, non-emoji rice cracker is not the most useful thing in the world.]

And I’ve not found a way to trick myself into thinking I’m my own client. So, that won’t work unless I go nuts and develop multiple personalities.

🌴

[if you don’t feel like reading a lot, the following is not important—probably not interesting to anyone besides myself . . . so go ahead and comment 😊 ]

This is really bothering me, upsetting really. If I could apply my skills to my own projects, I could do so many things I crave to do.

What would I like to do?

If I would combine all or some of my skills,

• Create the gig I was talking about before.
  • I would rewrite my book (actually finished it, got stuck for years in the editing stage, and now it’s gone after the house fire*).
  • Open some kind of business online, design the website, write copy, social media for the business.
  • [Once I get a new guitar + mic*] record a new album
  • And like a million more things that I want to do.

*Some months ago I was asleep when my bedroom caught on fire. Everything I owned burned up, including all the equipment I used to use for work (still cameras, video cameras, mics, musical instruments, all work saved on hard drive, etc).

🌵

Thanks so much french fries [ :joy:]😊

Hugs, Mae aka May aka Maytal aka 🐧

I have waited so long to find another me.

I have this exact same problem and it drives me crazy. I distinctly remember a day in September 2004. I had 2-weeks to get my affairs in order before the 3 best years of my life ended with the expiration of my then New Zealand work permit.

At the time, I had already been dabbling with freelancing by publishing short stories for a year on a platform called Triond. (It doesn’t exist anymore.) There you got paid a cent every time someone read whatever you had published.

My dream was to be able to live anywhere I wanted by earning money by writing online. In my head, my ideal world would be one where I lived by the sea somewhere sub-tropical, had a small dog, a few books published, and made money by turning on my laptop each morning. - Not a lot, but enough to be comfortable.

Sadly, that dream was well beyond reach.

Fast forward to the present and I literally have everything I ever wanted. However, in a weird way, I hate it. Even if I just write one article a day, I can feel so creatively burned out by trying to make someone else’s website or product sound amazing, that I feel like taking my laptop outside and shooting it.

I want to have my own website and a good book on the market. However, it is impossible to write for myself. - And it’s impossible because I’m constantly writing for other people.

Least year, I had a huge order dry spell but ended up loving it because I got 30K of words in the bag on one of my own book projects. However, that meant burning through savings and…

Well, in short, it seems to me like everything always comes back to the idea of the starving artist. It’s a Catch 22 of the universe. You can do what want and get paid, or you can do what you love and risk never getting paid.

I still try to keep up with personal projects like creative writing. However, my heart is really not in it when I know that by 5pm, I need to also write 500-words about how to become a top software developer. Maybe there is a solution, but sadly, I’m yet to find it. 😦

Yep, you’re definitely in the same boat as me. (Sorry about the house fire btw.) All I can suggest is that you figure out which one of these projects to put on the scrap heap or automate.

I tried for the second time last year to start my own cryptocurrency blog. At first it was going well. I was managing to publish 2 posts a day and was getting traffic. Then I was too busy to keep up with it and when I did have free time, I just wanted to write my book.

My plan for 2020 is to (eventually) transform my website into a simple site about me as a freelancer for hire, or sell it the next time the Bitcoin price rallies. Then when I do have free time, I’ll just devote this to my book.

Possibly you need to make a similar decision to put one project by the wayside?

I have this exact same problem and it drives me crazy. I distinctly remember a day in September 2004. I had 2-weeks to get my affairs in order before the 3 best years of my life ended with the expiration of my then New Zealand work permit.

At the time, I had already been dabbling with freelancing by publishing short stories for a year on a platform called Triond. (It doesn’t exist anymore.) There you got paid a cent every time someone read whatever you had published.

My dream was to be able to live anywhere I wanted by earning money by writing online. In my head, my ideal world would be one where I lived by the sea somewhere sub-tropical, had a small dog, a few books published, and made money by turning on my laptop each morning. - Not a lot, but enough to be comfortable.

Sadly, that dream was well beyond reach.

Fast forward to the present and I literally have everything I ever wanted. However, in a weird way, I hate it. Even if I just write one article a day, I can feel so creatively burned out by trying to make someone else’s website or product sound amazing, that I feel like taking my laptop outside and shooting it.

I want to have my own website and a good book on the market. However, it is impossible to write for myself. - And it’s impossible because I’m constantly writing for other people.

Least year, I had a huge order dry spell but ended up loving it because I got 30K of words in the bag on one of my own book projects. However, that meant burning through savings and…

Well, in short, it seems to me like everything always comes back to the idea of the starving artist. It’s a Catch 22 of the universe. You can do what want and get paid, or you can do what you love and risk never getting paid.

I still try to keep up with personal projects like creative writing. However, my heart is really not in it when I know that by 5pm, I need to also write 500-words about how to become a top software developer. Maybe there is a solution, but sadly, I’m yet to find it. 😦

Yep, you’re definitely in the same boat as me. (Sorry about the house fire btw.) All I can suggest is that you figure out which one of these projects to put on the scrap heap or automate.

I tried for the second time last year to start my own cryptocurrency blog. At first it was going well. I was managing to publish 2 posts a day and was getting traffic. Then I was too busy to keep up with it and when I did have free time, I just wanted to write my book.

My plan for 2020 is to (eventually) transform my website into a simple site about me as a freelancer for hire, or sell it the next time the Bitcoin price rallies. Then when I do have free time, I’ll just devote this to my book.

Possibly you need to make a similar decision to put one project by the wayside?

😃

(Sorry about the house fire btw.)

Thanks 🙂

I totally understand what you’re saying.

But, I’m not sure if it’s the exact same boat–

Doing creative (or any kind of) work for someone else does not leave me empty of ideas/motivation/energy for my own projects. Also I do have enough time for everything.

What I’m saying, is that I can edit someone else’s book, but not my own for example.

I know how to begin and complete a project for someone else.

But when it comes to my own projects (which involve the same skills), I’m paralyzed. I have no idea how to start, where to go. I can’t decide on anything. With the editing a book example, I simply cannot take anything out–I can’t edit. I can’t organize all the texts.

When I sit down to work on my own projects, I feel like I’ve been dropped in NASA headquarters, in front of super computers (so advanced that I wouldn’t even touch one button), and the project is to do everything that needs to be done to build a rocket and send it to the moon.

But if NASA went insane and hired me to do it, I would absolutely know what to do. And by the deadline a flag displaying my name + pic of my kitten would be flowing proudly in the moon’s breeze (the moon doesn’t have a breeze . . . I don’t know, but I would know if NASA ordered a gig from me).

@cyaxrex What do you think about the boat?

and

Yo NASA! Hi. Let me know exactly what you need and I’ll send you a custom offer. You want me to prove that Pluto really is a planet again? No probs! Order now!

Archived